Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

This is the "How Many Amps Do You Own" thread

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T Prior, Jan 12, 2018.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    And why do you have each one ? What'cha got and don't forge the WHY ...

A photo is good as well as many of us are not really familiar with many amps out there.

I'll start, and I'll say up front that owning a multitude of amps borders on "nuts".

"Shrinks" around the world still can't explain why we have a need / desire for multiple amps. I'm told they actually discuss this at "Shrink Conferences" around the world.

Ok.. here's my current active list with the ownership reasons. This list replaces many other amps which are long gone !

60 watt Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 , because bigger is better and ya never know when you need it
    40 Watt Fender Blues Deluxe , because bigger is not really better
    50 Watt Carvin Vintage 50 / 1x12 cab , because I really like looking at it
    50 watt Carvin Nomad 1x12, because its a combo and I don't have to carry two pieces
    15 watt Fender Blues Jr, because it's really a nice amp and 15 watts covers a lot of ground
    45 Watt Rickenbacker 4x10 B16 Supersonic,I owned one when I was 18 and want to relive my youth
    90 watt Fender Deluxe 112 Plus 1x12 it was only $150 and has a headphones out for practice. Not a bad amp but it can barely hang on at a gig.
    15 watt Fender Rumble Bass, don't actually know why I have it
    200 Watt Gallien Kruger MB200 Bass head, it weighs 2 pounds and it is my spare amp in the gig bag. This is one fine amp.
    300 watt Gallien Kruger Bass Backline / 2x10 cab , great gig amp
    210 watt PV Nashville 400, 1x15, because I play Steel and it is the go to amp for Steel
    80 watt PV Nashville 112 , 1x12, for Steel because the Nashville 400 is too heavy

Thats it for today...

So which ones go to gigs ? Nashville 112 or Blues Deluxe for double duty ( Steel/Guitar) or the Blues Jr. if it's a guitar only gig in a smaller room. A medium to larger room will bring out a 40 or 50 watter. A big outdoor stage will indeed bring out the HR Deville.

photo shy, Nashville 400, it's in the garage, GK MB200, it's in the gig bag, Nashville 112 is still in the van from last nights gig.

IMG_8759.JPG IMG_8758.JPG

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I have had many over the years, as part of my new years resolution I have decided to concentrate on my small collection of vintage gear, and most of the other things have been sold off,traded or consigned.As we stand now.

Mini Twin (wiring checks, paper weight) I got this for $5 in a thrift store I can't belive people pay $40-50 bucks for these, hello you can buy a decent combo second hand for that.
    Pignose (playing w/ friends, writing sessions)
    G-dec (Practice tool)
    '67 Supro Thunderbolt (guitar amp)
    '74 Ampeg B-15n (studio bass amp..unless someone installs a elevator in my home, or pays me a obscene amount of money to bring it, its never going out again.)
    Carvin Micro bass head and 1x12 cab (ocassional bass gigs)

I also have a pair of Crate Taxis that I use for PA,Keys, acoustic and w/ a multi fx (old Korg) as a "modeling amp" for guitar when I don't have a secure situation, or known good wiring for the T-bolt.

t guitar floyd and Minimalist518 like this.

3. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Two:

1. Yamaha THR-10. Great little amp when I can't be fussed setting up number 2
    2. Dr Z Maz18 Jr combo (1x12 speaker) + Brake Lite attenuator. Great amp (picked up as an ex-demo) and capable of a wide range of voices from pure cleans to some lovely distortion - especially when I plug in the Z-Drive or TS90DX.

I'm a learner, so I only play / practice at home + at the tutor's recording studio. I use his learner's amp when I'm there - a Line 6 something-or-other which has a load of pre-set voices that are more than adequate for when I'm learning.

Minimalist518 and FrontPU like this.

4. Mart the Hat

Mart the Hat Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I don't have many compared to some people, but I live in a small flat and it still feels like a lot of stuff to store. I have;

-Homebuilt 1x12" 6v6 plexi-esque combo - current gigging guitar amp
    -Homebuilt 1x10" Princeton Reverb based amp - previous gigging amp, not quite tidy enough to sell and is still a nice thing to have around.
    -Dynacord Eminent II 80 watt valve head, modified with 6SL7 preamp - This gets some use for bass, but I don't have so many electric bass gigs lately, and the little GK often wins for convenience.
    -Gallien Krueger MB200 - This comes out for upright bass, or when I'm playing electric bass and don't want to carry the Dynacord.
    -Homebuilt bass cabs, a pair of 1x12" and a 1x10". Electric bass gigs get one or two 1x12, home use and upright are usually the 1x10.

Minimalist518 likes this.

5. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    Just 2. A fender twin amp pro tube which is 100 watts but switchable to 25 watts and has 2-12inch speakers. Also a 5 watt amp kit which was my first build that is perfect for home use that i run through a 12 inch cab

6. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Mojotone 5E3. My first amp build, and the perfect size for practice sessions or even full band use, as long as I don't need cleans. Light, easily carried, and a perfect grab and go amp.

Mojotone BFSR. Perfect for pairing with most any pedal I have, or running straight in if I need big clean power.

Mojotone 5F6-A. The ultimate clean to dirty rock amp, and my #1 go to. Unless I need something smaller, this is the one I almost always reach for.

Avatar 18W. Because sometimes only an 18W Marshall type amp will do. Glorious crunch, and the perfect pairing to my Les Paul.

The Hammond Special. A Vox based, 15W screamer based on the Top Boost channel; think Matchless Lightning for general philosophy. This one was my first build where I took an idea and a chassis and made it reality. Raw, raunchy, great sounding, and crazy loud. This one might actually start getting grabbed before the Bassman, since it has generous headroom, light weight, and can totally stand up for itself in a mix. Having the option of different speaker cab sizes is pretty nice, too.

Fender Mustang I. Because who doesn't need a practice amp with a headphone option?

Bob M and Minimalist518 like this.

7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    4 guitar amps, 2 bass amps, 1 acoustic amp.

Why? Because I wanted each one for a specific purpose.

8. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Also just two. My main sounds great amp is a Blues Cube Hot, the new Marshall voiced version sold through Guitar Center and related retailers. That one pretty much never moves. My other is a Vox Adio, which is Vox’s take in a THR type amp. I don’t really use all of the models or presets anymore (although I did when I first got it) - I just keep it on a good clean setting and use my small pedal board in front of it. That’s my travel amp (we’re down south for three months at the moment and it’s my only amp until we get home) and at home it’s my Bluetooth speaker, my aux-in speaker, my recording amp (a single USB cable handles all of the input and output and monitoring) and my amp for the very rare occasion I want some sound I can’t otherwise get (like a super high gain Orange type sound or something with loads of modulation).

I could really get by with just the Adio, but the Blues Cube is such a sublime sounding amp I’m really happy to have it and when I’m at home it gets 99% of my playing... I don’t miss it it when I don’t have it, but I love it when I do...

-Ray

9. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Monoprice 15W (2017)
    Yamaha THR10 (2016)
    Roland Cube 60 (1984, Orange)
    Roland Bolt 60 (1979)
    Fender Musicmaster Bass (1972, 6AQ5)
    Kalamazoo Model One (1965)
    Eico Hi-Fi Monoblock 12W (1959, recent guitar amp conversion)
    Magnatone Varsity M108 (1954)

10. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue ('65) - Sounds great, powerful enough for most of my gigs, just a classic amp.

Boss Katana 100 - bought it to gig with, as it is a bit more compact and lighter than my DRRI, should be reliable, has enough built-in effects and presets that I don't need to lug pedals, and is really loud. Also can double as an acoustic guitar amp.

Roland Micro Cube - portable and battery powered, don't use it much any more.

11. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

May 19, 2014
    Genova-Italy
    5:

Fender pro-tube twin 2004: The amp I fall in love when I was looking for my main tube amp.
    Homebuild Champ 5F1: the amp I use the most, as my wife did not want my "big beast" at home...
    Fender Deluxe 85: my first Fender amp (after one year of Washburn SX60C). simply I think selling is not worth.
    Fender sidekick 15: my first "travel" amp... see the previous line

AER 60 compact II

chiefline likes this.

12. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted

Clone of a BF Vibrolux Reverb. Because it's perfect.

That's all, folks!

tomtama likes this.

13. tomtama

tomtama TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jul 23, 2016
    Taunton
    I currently have four, two guitar, two bass.
    • Fender Blackface Princeton Reverb clone that my brother (Bob Arbogast who just posted above) built
    • Fender 68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb
    • Gallien Krueger MB210ii Combo
    • SansAmp RPM pre-amp into a Crown XLS1000 with 2 Acoustic B410 mkii cabs

14. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    3:

Orange TT - got it new; years ago. At the time i was all about amp gain. I was getting into smaller wattage amps to try and accomplish this. I also discovered that my personal taste in gain was in thevein of Brittish classic rock.

Vox AC15C1 - I was after a two amp rig to try and get a bigger sound at a lower volume, with the use of pedals. This was the best fit at the time that was available to me. It seemed to be more versatile than the Orange, with slightly more headroom. It's just a cool amp.

Vox AC4C1-112 - this was gifted to me by my spouse and a couple of friends. Its a complicated story, but got to pick it out. Well, it's a Vox. Its great! It can be much louder than you would expect. The 12" speaker keeps it from being too boxy sounding. It has master volume and tone controls that actually work. I cant wait to try it out in a wet/dry/wet set up with the other two. But the Orange is on loan to my cousin currently.

T Prior likes this.

15. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    3 is good !:)

16. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2013
    Tennessee
    4 currently:

69 Fender Bassman
    64 Silvertone 1482
    73 Fender Champ
    2010's PRRI

Bob M likes this.

17. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

At home my everyday amp is a 2 x 12 Peavey Classic 50, and I have an old Vibro-Champ that I got as sort of a trade, sort of a loan. I have an Acoustasonic 30 for acoustics and voice.

At school there's an $80 Peavey Rage Whatever 1 x 8 that I play when the kids aren't there; they play on it the rest of the time. A few other mostly non-descript amps have passed through my hands, given away or perma-loaned; I've done that with lots of guitars as well.

I don't know much about amps, probably never will. The Classic 50 keeps me pretty happy, but I would like to upgrade the acoustic amp. After I retire in June I'll probably do that, and unload the rest of my amps.

18. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    "Three is the number and the number shall be three...."

MisterZ likes this.

19. CK Dexter Haven

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Something else I have been looking to try is running some iRig emulations thru a ion "job rocker" (basically a 1x10 50 watt Blue tooth speaker) that I picked up at a yard sale, you can charge it up or plug it in, if you plug it in it also serves as a power source for 2-3 other things. Could be useful..

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/job-rocker

20. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    12. No, 7. 9? Does my phone count? Bass amps?

If anyone asks normally, I have 3, no - FIVE - pretty decent guitar amps. This week.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.