Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

This Day in 1941

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Papa Joe, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    I remember that day very well..
    We must never forget..

2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Amen. The world was a scary place then, and it's a scary place today.

3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    I'd imagine this date in 1941 was better than the Sunday morning that followed.
    (depending on where you were in the world at the time of course)

It's still December 6th here.

4. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

A date that will live in infamy...

I remember when people were suggesting the US apologize for Hiroshima and Nagasaki, my dad who was 7 years old then got really angry.

Said unless you were alive then you couldn't understand the anger people felt over the sneak attack.

I didn't know what he meant until 9/11.

5. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm not sure exactly where the time zone runs, but I'd guess that Papa Joe is referring to December 7, and writing just after that day came to his house.

Growing up (I graduated high school in 1971), I thought World War II was a long-ago event. Now I know that it was very close to our time then, and that its effects are still with us today. I agree that we must not forget.

6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Yeah I was just about to hit post, when the time zone thing hit me. Lol

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Those who remember do...

viccortes285 likes this.
  8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    A disgusting act by a people of contrasts. My sister lived in Japan but i would never visit. I also worked witj a brick layer as a student who built the brick supports on the River kwai, Thailand/Burma area.
    He was fed better for his skills and watched his mates starve and die. He never forgot nor forgave the Japanese.
    To attack Pearl Harbour early on a Sunday morning when folks were sleeping or getting up to go to church. Unforgivable. I have seen most of Asia nut will never go to Japan.

9. Wow... technology sure has changed in the past 77 years. Electric guitars and tube amps were the best inventions. All this other virtual stuff, not so much.

viccortes285 likes this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I am very grateful to those who served and protected us from our attackers.
    My heartfelt thanks go to the survivors, and those who lost their lives.
    They were indeed the Greatest Generation.

11. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    As heinous as the attack on Pearl Harbour was, causing the USA into to enter WW2 was the beginning of the end for the AXIS powers.

12. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2014
    Oxfordshire England
    Very important we remember, they gave their all for our futures. As for people who bang on about the bomb, well I won't go on, get me cross. Suffice to say they started it and by God did we finish it.

13. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    My father-in-law’s younger brother, like so many other young men, was killed on the Arizona that day.

I’d say more, but elsewhere.

RodeoTex and Ira7 like this.
  14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
  15. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Feb 23, 2018
    Nawth Alabama
    My father was on the Yorktown in Pearl over Christmas in 1940. I have the Christmas card and "ships Christmas menu" he sent to his mother. 19yrs old. By 1941, he had passed the exams to become an enlisted pilot and Dec. 8, 1941 his logbooks show his first solo flight. Very motivated young man that day, I'm sure!

Mom and Dad lost several friends at Pearl...but were never haters. They did a tour in Japan in the late 50's (where I was born) and had nothing but fond memories of the people.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Wildcard_35 likes this.
  16. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2018
    Queens, NY
    Yes, we must never forget.

My father was in the Eighth Air Force, England.

My Uncle Arthur was in the Battle of The Bulge.

My Uncle Joe was in a couple of messy battles on Guadalcanal.

And my mother once said it was a miracle they all came back.

I think I became a history buff because of the first hand stories my father used to tell me.

Mike

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  17. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Agreed it's a day to remember the fallen and loved ones you guys lost

18. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    I think the OP intention here was to make a remembrance thread, so guys .. don't even start it ....

BobbyZ, ruger9 and Piggy Stu like this.
  19. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

Nov 10, 2006
    Churchville, NY
    The Japanese started the Pacific War. The United States ended it emphatically and properly. December 7, 1941, truly a date which will live in infamy. It kills me that young people aren't even taught American History properly enough to even recognize this date. There are some dates that should be automatic...December 7th, 1941, November 22, 1963....etc. I always bring it up to my 15 and 20 year old and they just don't know it. Forgetting our history is a huge mistake.

20. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I always thought so. It's been a while since I studied history but, when I was at school, we were taught that America had remained "neutral" for a variety of reasons, one of which was the number of American citizens who were of German, Italian, Japanese, etc origin as well as Jewish, British and French.

We were also taught that the Pearl Harbour attack was a pre-emptive strike to prevent the American navy interfering in their imminent ambitions in SE Asia. I sometimes wondered if the Japanese mis-read how America would react to such a cynical act of aggression against a country not yet involved in the conflict.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.