Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Third build - Telecaster "Tree of life"

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mbechmann, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Ok, Christmas is over, and it is time to get started on the third build now. A Telecaster that I will donate to charity when complete. I have a specific charity in mind, but more about that later. The name of this Tele is related to the charity...

The build itself it more or less a parts caster. The body, I found on ebay. It is dark alder.

The neck, I will build from scracth. Not 100% what kind of wood I will use, but I do have some mahogany, some walnut and oak. So I will see what I can figure out. I also have an idea for a headstuck that I will try out.
    I do have a fingerboard - birds eye maple - with a tree on. I think I will use that here.

The pickups and so on, I will "steal" from an Harley Benton Tele I have.

The finish, I am not sure about. The body, does look really nice, with the mat look. But I also want to protect it, so maybe some normal oil?

Attached Files:

2. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2011
    Atlanta
  3. Savis

Savis TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Onsala - Sweden
    That body looks impressive, are you going to continue the tree of life theme with inlays in that style?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    The walnut I have, is solid flooring. But I will have a look at it, when I get home :) It would be sweet to use that.

I totally agree. That body is sweet, and yes, I am continuing the theme with the tree on the fingerboard inlay. The idea I have for the headstuck is to design something that also continues this theme. But I will have to put it into paper first.

6. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2008
    Franklin, TN
    Who did the carving? If it was you, can you show us your techniques?

7. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    I cant take credit for that. Dont have that kind of skills - yet ;)

I am not sure who did the carving, but I can ask the seller on ebay.

8. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I've seen those carved bodies on ebay, I think they come from Poland and they are really cheap. If they are your cup of tea they are a bargain.

9. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    The seller is from Poland yes. I just checked, and asked him about it.

10. Doubletriode

Doubletriode Tele-Meister

Mar 23, 2008
    Geneva,Switzerland
    A wooden pickguard would look fine and in line with the chosen theme
    ;-)

11. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    ^^Agree. The white pickguard/scratchplate looks a little jarring and un-woodsy--if you can get black plastic or wood, much better look, IMO.

Thumbs up on oil finish, too!

12. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    I actually totally agree. :) I am however not sure about which one to order.

I am also not 100% sold on the birds eye maple fingerboard, because I am thinking going all dark wood.

Attached Files:

13. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2012
    Kelowna B.C, Canada
    I'm using walnut flooring right now.. I found the maximum thickness to be about 0.6" Could be different with yours.

14. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Just checked the walnut. The thinnest place is 0,52". So it is a bit thin, I think :) But I will have a closer look, when I start to make the neck itself. The walnut itself, is actually really cool. I like it a lot :) It would be tough to route out a slot for the truss rod, but I think it will do :)

15. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    I feel like a rosewood pickguard would look good. Or maybe a maple one if you go with the maple fretboard.

16. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Lisa, I actually agree with you 100% on the rosewood. It is something I am looking into right now. Since I am not doing anything to the body, I am thinking about trying my hands on making the inlay myself. It would be a huge project, but it would be cool to do :) The only detail is, that I have epoxy allergy, so I am not sure what the inlay should be made of. I guess I still could try epoxy, but am also thinking sawdust glued into the fingerboard. I think that would work as well.

By the way, the guy I bought the body from, has a new body for sale. I like this one as well, but I have my projects for 2014 already, so for now, I dont need it :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carved-alder-Guitar-Body-for-Jazzmaster-/261366673315?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cdaaaefa3

17. hubson91

hubson91 NEW MEMBER!

Jan 3, 2014
    Poland, Lublin
    Hi, Mbechmann bought the body from me.:) If you wont to, I can put some photos of our bodys here or on mail(please send me in private message). We are making telecaster, jazzmaster, stratocaster, jaguar, p-bass bodys, which cost between 60-80 pounds for one body.

Cheers

18. Mbechmann

Jan 18, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Perfect. I am glad you got in here :) And I do know, that I will buy more from you guys, at some point. The quality is awesome.

As for the bodies. Can you repeat the reply you gave me, about who made the carving? Several people have been looking for that :)

19. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

Feb 21, 2013
    Galesburg, MI
    I don't think you need to use epoxy. You can probably go with superglue or something to glue the inlay in. Are you thinking of doing the route and just filling it with something instead of cutting out an inlay? If you want it to be greenish like leaves, maybe you can get some crushed inlay material (turquoise, stone, etc). There are some websites where you can buy a jar of that stuff.

20. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2008
    Franklin, TN
    One of our demonstrators at a Wood Turners meeting used a Goodwill purchased ($5) coffee grinder to crush turquoise, and malachite for mix with epoxy or superglue for inlays. Also some folks go to the local HD or Ace hardware store and ask them to save the brass filings from the key making machines.

21. Lobomov

Lobomov Tele-Afflicted

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Very nice body and finish .. and I agree ... A light maple neck would look wrong somehow

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.