Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thinline / semi-hollow VS. Deluxe

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Imnewatthis, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Imnewatthis

Imnewatthis NEW MEMBER!

Sep 21, 2017
    United States
    I am building a guitar and I am trying to decide between making a semi hollow tele or a tele deluxe. I will be replacing the wide range humbuckers with standard humbuckers from seymour duncan. I am going to be using them for heavy music with high gain, like post hardcore, and also using them for very post-rock like sounds, with lots of reverb and delay etc.

All input is appreciated

*edit*

one thing to add!
    will the semi hollow cause problems when the gain is turned up?

2. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Both would be cool, but I personally think the semi-hollow with humbuckers would rock!

Frank'n'censed likes this.

3. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    Vernon B.C.
    What you building the body out of?

Thinlines were for weight relief more than sound I think.

That and how strong are you?

4. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    I've never had a Thinline, but you'd think there would be some difference in tone with the semi-hollow body. I know I saw Eric Johnson recently talking about his new Thinline Strat as being a hybrid sound between his favorite Strats and his ES-335s. I've personally been wanting to build a hollowbody Tele myself to combine the Tele bridge pickup with a neck humbucker to give the perfect combo.

5. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's not ideal.

There are different acoustic forces at work with hollow.

6. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Especially with a bass roll off control, for optimum tonal range

7. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    Pratt,KS
    You could also get thinline bodies with no 'f' hole from Warmoth. If you did a rear rout on the controls you could then modify the top to suit your desired layout. With no 'f' hole you move further away from unwanted feedback, and it lightens the guitar nicely. The guitar in my avatar picture is built that way (except for a front rout) and I also built an Esquire with the same layout. BTW the swamp ash Esquire is at least 1 pound lighter than the Alder one in the picture.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.