Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thinline project completed

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by shades, Dec 17, 2008.

1. shades

shades Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa.
    Recently finished this Thinline for a friend of mine.
    The Stew-Mac body has two hollow chambers, Duncan Hot Lead in the bridge and Quarter pounder at the neck. Finished in stain and Tung Oil.

:cool:

Attached Files:

2. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    I like that color!

3. wikur

wikur Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2006
    Sweden
    Oooooohhh!
    That is a nice guitar!!
    What kind of neck have you got there?
    Looks great with the matching headstock!!!
    Nice job!

4. shades

shades Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa.
    The neck is a Stew-Mac mitey mite 9.5 rosewood with a C contour.
    The stain is from Cabot, lillypad is the color.
    He has wanted a matching color headstock for years and now he's got one.

5. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Looks good. More pictures please.

6. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    Hmmmm I like the thinline with the traditional control layout set up. I wonder if there is a way to use a standard pickgaurd and let the F hole be punched through.... How would that look? I guess I just dont like the "thinline type" pickgaurd.

Gary

7. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    Looks great shades. here's the best solution fora traditional set up w/ a hot dog rout (IMO).

[​IMG]

8. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Vermont
    Love the painted headstock! Nice piece!

9. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    Hey There,

Where did you get that pickgaurd? Is it custom made. If so could it be made with the p/g extended up into the horn like e regular Tele.

Thanks!

Gary
    PS Happy Holidays!

10. dandhr61

dandhr61 TDPRI Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    you could use a router with a bottom baring to cut the f hole out?

11. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    Warmoth cuts those for me.

12. Mystic6

Mystic6 TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Plainfield, IL
    Hi all,

My first post. I am currently building my first guitar, a Stew-Mac thinline hybrid. I am finishing it in clear, and didn't like the white pearl pickguard I bought from Stew-Mac (like the first post) against the clear. So I ordered some black 5-ply and was going to make my own in black. At the same time I also ordered a black pearlized from Warmoth. But then I realized that I also didn't like that the Stew-Mac (and Warmoth) don't extend up the horn. I bought a regular black replacement pickguard at the local GC, and when I made my template I combined both styles. I also found that the Stew-Mac pickguard doesn't have the neck pup lined up the same as the stock one. When I cut my own guard though, the edges weren't smooth enough and I didn't like the result. So I smoothed the f-hole curve side and decided just to cut the stock guard. I decided it would be easier to mount the neck pup to the pickguard (and it's already drilled) than to deal with remounting the pup. I do like the way the hybrid guards from Stew-Mac and Warmoth come down further by the control plate, but I was happy with the way the stock one looks. I can't post pictures now as I am working on finishing the body, but when I'm done I will be sure to post.

13. Mystic6

Mystic6 TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Plainfield, IL
    I forgot to take pictures before I had another coat on, but here is a side by side. The white pearlized is from Stew-Mac, the black is a stock Fender replacement that I cut.

[​IMG]

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Cabot Lilypad, eh?

The ladies are clamoring for pastel green and blue guitars; this might be the ticket as my tinted shellacs have bombed badly.

Very nice, shades. Any finishing tips and details you can pass along will be much appreciated.

15. shades

shades Tele-Afflicted

Aug 3, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa.
    Yep, Cabot brand Lillypad color, custom mix color available at Lowes... kind of green meets blue so to speak.
    Dang potent smelling stuff so have adequate ventilation...cough,cough.
    I normally use Varathane products that don't seem to be as potent but the color wasn't available from them.

Finish sanded the body with 220 grit paper, four coats of stain on the body and four coats of Formby's tung oil to seal. 0000 grade steel wool between oil coats.
    The neck headstock has five coats of stain and four coats of tung oil on it.
    One coat of Varathane Traditional Pecan on the contour of the neck with one coat of tung oil to seal. Lemon oil on the rosewood fingerboard provides good protection and lustre.

The Stew-Mac body has a curly maple top that was a bear to stain properly until the third & fourth coats. The rest of the body is alder which stained nicely.

Thats about it. Thanks.

Attached Files:

16. Mystic6

Mystic6 TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Plainfield, IL
    Here's my pickguard laying on my body. I'm using the Stew-Mac Waterbase Brushing Varnish.

[​IMG]

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I just had 3 tele bodies from USACG routed that way, for either a mini-hum, a P-90 or a Jazzmaster Antiquity, t2. I hope to use my little sweep style pickguard or a variant on all 3.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.