Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Thinline f holes with Kirn Templates

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bigDschramm, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bigDschramm

bigDschramm Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2010
    Clovis, California
    As stated in another thread I'm using the Ron Kirn thinline templates. For the "f" holes are those the actual size? Do you use a 1/4-inch top bearing bit to pattern rout them? Or do you use a 1/4-inch pit with a 5/16-inch(?) guide bushing?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I made my own templates and F hole using an existing fender body. I use a 3/8" flush trimmer for the round holes and the little space in the middle where the bit won't fit gets sawn out with an xacto saw, and carefully and filed/sanded to the line. I've heard of people using other bits in the router and letting it rub on the pattern as the bearing...but I personally wouldn't do it myself.

3. adirondak5

adirondak5 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    I use a 1/4 " spiral bit and just let the shaft of the bit ride the template for the f holes , works very well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Me too....

Ron Kirn

6. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2012
    Dartmouth, NS, CA
    I managed to find a top bearing 1/4" pattern bit at lee-valley and used that with Ron's template , worked perfectly for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.