Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thinline 24.75” scale

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by johio, Jul 8, 2018.

1. johio

johio TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Ohio
    Does anybody here have one of these? They were out a while back and I always wanted one. Can’t seem to find any used ones anywhere? Any love for them?

J

2. johio

johio TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Ohio
    Yes, I now see below someone else has brought up this same topic. I didn’t even bother to look before posting because no one ever seems to mention them.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Jay, I sorta picked these out as possibly the worst Thinlines with the Squier label on them.

Coming out of some plant in China, but not where the Classic Vibes come from. Almost all the small parts are identifiable as being sourced elsewhere. The body is not that fully routed and isn't especially light or nicely made. They tended to hang around in shops while the other models sold and were re-stocked.

4. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I'm not that negative, but they are nowhere near the quality of the Classic Vibe or later Vintage Modified guitars (the '72 Custom, '72 Thinline and the '72 Deluxe, remember the Cabronita?) . I do place these ('69) ones somewhere between the Affinity and Standard. I prefer them over the Affinity guitars of that age (made in China like this one), but they cannot compete with the (Indonesian) standard (soundwise, neckwise, ...)

But I don't see these thinlines as the "bottom" of the VM series either, that "honour" goes to the Indian made SH and SSH, not because of the sound, but because those have a one-way truss rod, which has caused me many setup problems/headaches because it apparently cannot be adjusted to my wishes.

On the other hand, we have been spoiled with the later VMs and the CVs. Those are great guitars. If I look at the new Contemporary HH tele, it reminds me of this '69 thinline. The quality is OK, but it's no way near CV or VM quality.
    Perhaps that even IS the right way to go, for marketing purposes. A cleaner division between the quality of Squier and Fender branded guitars.

But boris is definitely right: this probably is the lowest quality thinline in the Squier series... The newer VM '72 thinline is better, as is the CV. The Master series thinline has the same serial prefix (CY) and is probably made in the same factory but it is way better, I don't have a ProTone thinline to compare it with, but those are so highly regarded, that I can't believe that it would be lower quality than this one.

It was my second tele though... my first "higher end" Squier (I only had an Affinity at the time), and I still love it, even if my VM '72 Thinline gets a lot more playing time.

5. johio

johio TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Ohio
    Thanks for the replies. I was interested in it for the scale length.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.