Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thinking of retrofitting a piezo on an LP-style guitar.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Zuzax, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    As the title says, I'm thinking of retrofitting a piezo on an LP-style guitar (not an actual Gibson), to give it that quasi-acoustic capability.* So far I've been researching the Graphtech Ghost setup. Are their other brands anyone would recommend?

If you have added one of these to an LP-style guitar:
    • How did you route the individual saddle leads - by notching the pup ring or drilling holes for each wire?
    • Did you change-up your existing tome/volume controls or just drill more holes for the necessary switch and acoustic volume?
    • Did you have to rout out wood to fit the preamp and battery?
    • Did you do either/or switching, or did you do "both" where you can blend electric and piezo in mono to the same amp?
    *Yes, I know it won't sound exactly like an acoustic, but neither does my Martin with a piezo and soundhole cover, or my Yamaha SLG. I want to be able to play both electric and acoustic parts without swapping guitars mid-song.

Thanks in advance for any hands-on experience feedback.

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I've tried the round disc piezo's wired in with the guitar's electronics = Has popping sound when switching to piezo and piezo/pickup selection. Round piezo's sound too tinny to me, don't care for them anymore.

Rod Piezo's sound great, but needs a preamp for good volume. A preamp that allows for hooking up regular pickups with a rod piezo would be awesome. IMO Haven't tried rod piezo with pickups in passive circuit yet.
    Rod piezo's are cheap, sound good and can be mounted under the bridge or in the neck pocket - requires a little routing. Some good preamp systems out there for little money these days.

No experience with the Ghost Saddle system.

My avatar guitar has a stereo jack - piezo's on one side/minibuckers on the other using a Y cable to 2 amps or 2 channels of the same amp. Works great, but I want to change to Rod Piezo.

3. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    Rod Piezo is going to be my new stage name... :cool:

Zepfan and ponce like this.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.

5. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    Mr. Lumbergh likes this.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Sub in a beer, and I'm right there with you.

7. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    I was thinking what a great name it was too.

Zuzax likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.