Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thinking of going traditional country

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by bluescaster72, Mar 20, 2017.

1. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Mar 4, 2009
    pennsylvaina
    I was raised on traditional country music and also played a lot of blues. I have tried starting blues band as well as join up, but doesn't seem like a lot of interest. Country music the real deal stuff is my other love and I have worked hard on playing stuff similar to Roy Nichols and Don Rich and more traditional players I love the simplicity of the amp set up just a bit of compressor through a clean amp and your there .

My question is there a real market for it ? My area seems to really be more about hard rock and southern rock music. Any other traditional country pickers in bands out there? I can play other styles of music been in cover bands. But Lately felt more of a pull in the country direction. had a family full of traditional country players.

daddyplaysbass likes this.

2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    i think there are people into traditional country about everywhere. put an ad on craigslist, you'll probably get some answers. is there a market for it? i don't know. if you can find some other players, you'll be able to find some kind of venue, but a good paying venue? i don't know that anybody can find a good paying gig, these days.

3. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    That market is actually coming back in this area, the country music crowd is moving away from the "pop-country" moving back to outlaw country (Whitey Morgan for example), but there is also a niche crowd for traditional as well.

When I sat down a few weeks ago and thought about my favorite songs in any genre, they were always songs that told a story. There is just something engaging about hearing the story-line play out musically. I don't think I am alone in this and traditional country has that going for it (consider Townes Van Zandt, Willie Nelson, Cash).

You are right, though, there aren't that many doing that yet, but that should work in your favor. The little prodigy that I have been mentoring loves old folk songs and classic country that she performs and the audiences have loved it. In most cases, they were obscure songs that they may have never heard before, but her arrangement of it is really something.

I say go for it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.