Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thinking of buying a Fender American Pro Tele Rosewood board

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TeleFunk Man, May 19, 2017.

1. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

Anyone own a 2017 Fender American Pro Telecaster - Crimson Red Transparent, Rosewood Fingerboard? I've watched the Fender YT vids wondering if any actual owners can share their thoughts on this model. Playability, finish quality etc...Thanks in advance guys!

2. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Lansing, Michigan
    I love mine, the crimson transparent finish is gorgeous! The overall quality was excellent in my opinion.

Try and find one to play and you'll see what I'm talking about.

3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I've played an American Professional, but not a rosewood model. Great playing guitar.

4. spenno

spenno TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2009
    England
    I made a trip to check out the sonic grey and mystic seafoam, but it was the crimson that stood out to me. Really stylish and gorgeous the way the grain shows through. Then I plugged it in and five minutes later I was trying to work out how I was going to pay for it...

eric3333 and TeleFunk Man like this.

5. Relch

Relch TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Kitty Hawk
    I absolutely Love my professional telecaster! I picked the Oylimpic white with the Rosewood board and the mint green pick guard. The finish seems very nice and durable, and the neck shape and radius are perfect for me. I much prefer the neck shape over any of the vintage shapes. The medium tall frets feel great as well. To me, the new pickups sound absolutely sublime. I also prefer them over those in the vintage and American standard lines, not as much output maybe but just what I was looking for and all telecaster! I love the treble bleed circuit also. The new cut down bridge and compensated brass saddles are great improvements in my opinion. I played a lot of different telecasters before deciding on this one, and I suggest you do the same if possible. For me the pro is an absolute winner, I can't put it down.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    eric3333 and TeleFunk Man like this.

6. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

Thanks for the reviews. Unfortunately, I won't have opportunity to try one in person. Thinking of ordering online. I usually have a setup done anyway, so if she needs tweaking out-of-the-box not an issue. I have a blond 8502 with maple board. Love it. But really digging the crimson red and rosewood board.

Is rosewood board on a Tele typically a little darker tone wise?

7. spenno

spenno TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2009
    England
    After looking into that query myself for a long time, the conclusion I've come to is that the only tonal difference will be in your mind... and of course your wallet with the recent rosewood price hike :D

8. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Here's my thoughts on mine

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/a-dream-came-true-my-very-special-first.732595/

I got an American Pro but maple. I really wanted an Am Pro, 3-tone w/Rosewood. Because i really love the 60's look. I was gonna change the brass saddles to threaded steel saddles. But the rosewood ampro's I tried in the store wasnt really singing. Kind of lacking depth. Fit and finish wise, every one I've tried is superb. Its hard to find faults in it. Given the consistency of the quality of guitars nowadays no matter what price range.

But this one stood out and gave me that tingling sensation that it was the one. I guess i still have another reason to get another guitar in the future and a rosewood board one!

Im happy with this one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    The Olympic White / Mint Green / Rosewood edition of the American Pro is my fave version of that model. It's a really good looking guitar.

The best thing about the AmPro though is that they are great players. I was really happy to see that Fender finally decided to fix the bridge and saddle issues. In my opinion they should install that bridge on every model except the vintage series.

The pickups are great too, but the best thing about these might be the "deep C" neck profile. It's similar to a "60's C" neck but a little deeper. Kind of like a cross between a C and a U neck. Feels great in the hand. Like a 60's neck, it tapers down below the 4th or 3rd fret—cowboy chords are a dream—and gets chunkier up high around the 12th fret and such. Fret finish seemed awesome on the model I played. Plays like a creampuff.

10. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Great guitar that I'd highly recommend ...

.. My only reservation is that a used custom shop tele won't be priced much differently, is a better guitar and will hold it's value if you need to flip it.

11. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

You guys in the US are really lucky to have access to all guitars!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.