Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Thinking about getting a digital antenna - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jul 17, 2017.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I have been wanting to do this for a while... but the perfectionist that I am, I wouldn't settle for the expected limitations of an indoor digital antenna, and I didn't have a route for the cable from the roof to TV.

Well.. now I do.

My parents lived with us for a few months this year, and my father hired a guy to install a dish on the roof, and route the cable to the junction box in the garage (just for my parents' basement apartment only). When my parents moved out, dad took the dish with him, but the cable stayed of course.

So now I have a perfect place on the roof to mount an outdoor digital antenna, and the cable is already there too.

What antenna should I be looking at? If it works out well, I'll end up ditching cable.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I find reynolds wrap works well

3. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006
    TheGoodTexan likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. 68tele

68tele Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2003
    East Northport NY

6. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Thank you for that.

The report generated from my exact address suggests that there are approximately 30 channels that I'll be able to receive. I notice that several networks are repeated... PBS, CBS, FOX... any idea if those are going to be the same exact broadcasts? Or are those different broadcasts, owned by that same network?

I know there's no real way to know until I actually get it all up and going.

7. drlizardo

drlizardo Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2013
    Central Illinois
    I have 3 different PBS stations here in rural IL and they are all different. The two Fox's are as well

TheGoodTexan likes this.

8. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

Check out the ota guide listings for your area. They will detail the programming.

TheGoodTexan likes this.

9. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I can't tell you exactly what will happen for you, but where I live I similarly can receive the same network from different locations. In my case, these are "different" affiliates of the "same" network. Many times they will both be simultaneously showing the same program but not always. The most notable/useful difference is on Sunday during football season when one FOX affiliate will show an NFC game and the other will show an AFC game. Also one PBS station might have the farm report, while the other has some news show.

You also might be able to figure this out before climbing the roof. Any old antenna should work. I use the same $5 antenna I bought at Eckerd's twenty years ago. Your TV won't "know" that the antenna is/isn't digital. Reception should improve with a roof antenna, but a pair of rabbit ears will likely pick up a good number of stations.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    TheGoodTexan likes this.

10. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Meister

Sep 19, 2011
    michigan
    If you like building things,building a DB-4 is the way to go I started with the bow tie version then modernized to the more compact version, star shaped. just google building DB-4 ANTENNA.The higher you go with them the better.This is for indoor use unless your willing to build them with weather proof hardware.
    Ive built and sold around 20 or so no complaints.

11. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

How far are you from the broadcast towers?

12. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Seem to be around 20 miles from several, I think. There are a ton within 60 miles.

13. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I think you'll be fine. I pick up channels from over 30 miles with just rabbit ears, though terrain, aircraft, etc. can hamper reception.

Since getting a set top box with Kodi on it, we're able to watch basically every show/movie you've ever heard of for free, so I haven't bothered to get a higher performance antenna.

14. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    US
    So...you have a vacant basement apartment..."Look man I'm outdoors you know,
    Can I stay with you maybe a couple days?"

TheGoodTexan likes this.

15. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee

16. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got two antennas one facing north and one south..... one V mounted, one H mounted ....got all the local towers covered...

check out the signal polarisation info from the the local broadcasters... some are vertical and others horizontal as far as their beam spread is broadcast....

that will depend whether the "spikes" on the antenna are vertical or horizontally mounted for best reception.....

TV antenna.jpg

17. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I just bought the mid grade one at deal Mart and it got all the channels possible I think.
    Don't think you gotta go extravagant.

18. TheGoodTexan

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, about that...

19. raito

raito Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    I use a $15 indoor antenna. Receives enough that I have the TV programmed to skip a lot of it.

Junkyard Dog likes this.

20. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    A receiving antenna is a passive device.

All it does is collect the waves skipping through
    your neighborhood and then your TV does the rest
    by tuning OUT the channels it doesn't want at the time.

There's no such thing as amplifying an antenna.

You can amplify the long cable run, but that's something else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.