Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thinking about an Xotic SL Drive...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by hongaku, Sep 11, 2017.

1. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA
    Should I? I'm in need of a Marshall-y sounding drive to cover a bunch of 90s rock stuff and I would really prefer it to be in a mini format as I'd like to use my grab and go mini board for this endeavor rather than my massive (but awesome) Pedaltrain Pro.
    I've looked at and considered several mini pedals that might work for the kind of overdrive/distortion sound I have in mind, like the Mooer Hustle Drive, Blues Mood and Black Secret, as well as some One Control minis, but I keep coming back to the SL Drive as my top choice.
    Does anyone have any input on this pedal or any of the others I referenced above in the context of playing 90s pop rock?

2. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    The SL will definitely do the Marshall thing. I checked one out at a local mom-and-pop and it sounded very good and really copped that Super Lead Marshall thing. I didn't buy one because I haven't much use for that tone.

hongaku likes this.

3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I had one a few years ago, I liked it and may get another one down the road sometime. It definitely sounds more amp like than some of the distortion pedals I've owned.
    I used it with either a Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb and Strats and Teles, got some great tones.

hongaku likes this.

4. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA
    I'm also looking at the One Control Purple Plexifier. Has anyone used that one? Or even better, compared it with the SL?

5. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    I've got a SL Drive. Haven't heard of the other one. Maybe you could get some info on TGP about that. I'm liking the SL at lower gain settings. It seems to pair best with my strat.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    hongaku likes this.

6. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    What sort of '90s rock? The demos of it I've heard have presented it as fairly low-gain '70s sort of Marshall tone. That may be fine for what you're doing, but I wouldn't expect it to be enough gain if you're doing any heavier, grungier '90s songs.

If you're looking for a mini pedal that does more modern levels of Marshall-type gain, the Mooer Cruncher (Crunch Box clone) or Solo (Suhr Riot clone) might be a better fit. I have a Mooer Black Secret too, which does high gain well, but at high-gain settings, it gets pretty flabby in the low end if it doesn't have a Tube-Screamer type pedal in front of it to tighten things up.

hongaku likes this.

7. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I'll just leave this rabbit hole right here...

hongaku likes this.

8. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA
    It's mostly not the heavier, grungier stuff, unfortunately as I think I'd have more fun than I will in this cover band. I have a Vick muff also on this board, so heavy can be done with that when needed. I will also have a keeley red dirt mini that would be used in stacking.
    Marshalls were quite widely used by a lot of bands back then and I'm confident the SL will produce enough gain in tandem with other gain I have. The Mooer Black Secret is still in contention and I already know I like a TS type into a RAT type...
    Thanks for the input. Anyone that has any other insight is welcome to chime in!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.