Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Things to do in Denver?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by davo8411, May 18, 2017.

1. davo8411

davo8411 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Pensacola, Florida
    I'm sure I can find a lot of info on things to do in Denver via the internet, but I'd rather hear from the folks at TDPRI for suggestions. I will be there in early July for a vacation. I already have tickets to a show at Red Rocks. Are there other live music venues that are must sees or great guitar shops?

2. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN

3. tmazzullo

tmazzullo TDPRI Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Denver, CO
    If you like interesting guitar stores check out Drum City Guitarland on the west side in Wheat Ridge. There's also a guitar/pawn shop called Wedgles on Broadway that may have interesting stuff. Aside from that, do yourself a favor and buy dinner at a taco truck on north Federal Blvd.

Cat MacKinnon likes this.

4. Humbuster

Humbuster Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2009
    en route.
    Go to Wildwood Guitars in Lousiville.

You WILL NOT be disappointed.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Drive up to Louisville and check out Wildwood Guitars. Most of the inventory is next door in the warehouse, but they'll pull anything you want to look at. Go to their website and drool. Good people too.

Boulder isn't too far away.

I like the Blue Bonnet on S. Broadway for Mexican food before a concert. The Ogden, Bluebird and Oriental Theaters all host national and local acts. See a ballgame at Coors Field, walk around LoDo for eats. The Skylark Lounge on S. Broadway is a rockabilly bar that often has neo-traditional country.

And you can tour the Mint, The State Capital and Natural History Museum if you like that sort of stuff.

I live in Fort Collins and avoid I-25 unless I have a specific place I'm going.

6. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston
    When I went last year, a lot of suggestions involve getting a car and leaving Denver. That's my advice as well.

Get out of Denver, baby.

xafinity likes this.

7. davo8411

davo8411 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Pensacola, Florida
    Thank you so much for the replies! Online travel guides never quite "get" what I'm looking for. Forum members are much more helpful.

8. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    It is true that good guitar shops are hard to find in Denver, but you already see some recommendations for where to find them. Want something to do that doesn't revolve around the guitar? (there is a big world out there, guys).

Go to Steuben's for dinner, get a dry German pilsner and a pretzel at Prost Brewing, go to a Rockies game (Coors Field is a really nice ballpark), Crooked Stave brewing makes some of the best sour beers you can imagine, Great Divide brewing makes beers not for the faint-of-heart (domestic beer people), bum around Highland if you have a couple hours to kill. Dazzle is a decent jazz bar, Ziggy's is a decent blues bar. Don's Tavern and Bar Car are good stops for a night cap. Wow, there is a lot of beer to drink in this town... but whatever you do, don't listen to the people that tell you to leave Denver. Having said that, if you go all the way out to Louisville then you might wanna consider going to Village Coffee Shop in Boulder for some great diner style breakfast.

I grew up in Fort Collins, so that guy above who lives there said some of the same stuff and he is right. Just avoid I-25 during rush hour.

Wanna get out of your element? Well, I don't know what your element is, but Hamburger Mary's has some fun Drag events, check them out. It might be a sub-culture you may be unfamiliar with, and you might find something great you wouldn't have otherwise!

Have fun!

9. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Try to count the street people ( and give up after 437...)

"1 hesher, 2 hesher, 3 hesher..."

11. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    All good recommendations. One thing that natives tend to forget ( I know I did when I grew up there)...just west of Denver, about an 1.5 to 2 hour drive is the summit of Mt. Evans. And in July, there's a paved road that will take you to within 100 feet of the summit.

If you don't want to drive much this trip, well then, plan this for next time.

I'm talking about 14,200 + feet above sea level and roughly 9000 feet above the Mile High City. It's a spectacular view, and an amazing drive. If you don't do well with cliffs and such, maybe not. But you can see quite a bit of the Front Range and part of why people get so enthusiastic about the land of my people, street people included.

the parking lot is at about 14,100 feet, with a well traveled and marked trail to take you the additional 100 feet in elevation to the summit. Take your time, the oxygen is pretty thin, particularly for denizens coming from sea level.

Here's the Google Earth view of the last stretch, maybe a dozen tight switchbacks to get to the top. This photo is from October - you'll be there in July and everything by then will be mostly green, plus you might get to have a snowball fight.

A unique experience. Have a great trip!

Mt. Evans road.jpg

12. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    Or just take a nice drive to Estes Park through Big Thomson Canyon. Mt. Evans is amazing but a little scarey if you've never drove in the Rockies before.

13. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    Wildwood's in Louisville is worth the trip (at least once). Get the serial #'s of what you want to see/play before going.
    Ziggy's is a fun little blues bar. They have a Wed. night blues jam hosted by a good keyboard player.
    Busty G's (44th Ave. Bar & Grill) has a Thursday night blues jam that is free (no cover) and brings in some pretty good local talent.
    Buckhorn Exchange (restaurant) in Denver for wild game in an 1800's era restaurant/building.
    We were in Denver last week visiting friends and went to Ziggy's and Busty G's to check out local music.

14. tmazzullo

tmazzullo TDPRI Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Depending on how early in July you're coming here, I'd also recommend checking out the Santa Fe Arts District First Friday Art Walk, held on Santa Fe Drive in Denver between 6th and 10th Avenues from 6-9 p.m. on the first Friday of the month each month. More than art, it's live bands, food trucks, crafts, carnival acts, and lots of people walking around enjoying good weather. Stop by Interstate Bar for fantastic bourbon drinks (try Stranahan's whisky, made in Denver 10 blocks down Santa Fe Drive - hell, tour the distillery!) and great noshes. And if you like art, there's dozens of art galleries that throw open their doors and you can see massive creativity on display for free. Or buy some art for very good prices. You won't forget it if you go.

15. dleuen

dleuen Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2009
    Littleton, CO. USA
    If you want to experience the outdoors but not travel too far from Denver there are a couple of very nice Colorado State Parks near by. Roxborough is about 30-40 minutes Southwest of downtown Denver. It has the Red Rocks geography and some very nice trails. A little farther Southwest, maybe about an hour drive, is Staunton State Park. Again some nice trails and this one will have you up at around 8000 ft elevation. Much more in the mountains. RMNP will be a zoo in July but it is absolutely beautiful if you don't mind a crowded area.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.