Things that you just can't sell

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digital Larry, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Holic

I have too many guitars. And every now and then I look around and see one that just hasn't been used in awhile and say, "it's time". #1 on the list is my Steinberger Spirit guitar. I loved it so much when I first got it about 10 years ago that I got a very similar Hohner G3T. I liked that one better but managed to unload it last year. So I grab the Spirit and I start playing it again, and this thing just has an amazing neck and action. I don't really like the tremolo setup (too stiff), but this thing holds a tune like nobody's business and balances pretty well in the lap for armchair playing. OK, so I guess this one's going to stick around a while longer.

Next up is my Roger Linn Adrenalinn III. It's a ROM upgrade from the "I" model and is pretty old. I got this because I thought I could get that sample and hold filter effect that Frank Zappa used on "Black Napkins" and "Ship Ahoy" and boy was I right! However the UI (grid of buttons and knobs for setting something like 88 different parameters per patch) is a bit overwhelming. Again I hadn't used it in awhile and just wanted to check it out before listing it on Reverb.

I had never previously synch'ed it up with anything else, but this time I have an Arturia Beatstep Pro, so I got a sequence running on that and synched up the Adrenalinn via MIDI and WOW holy disco inferno Batman, that thing is amazing!

I set it up on a desk rather than keeping it on the floor like a stompbox because otherwise I'd be spending too much time on my hands and knees. In this particular case though the main thing that is keeping me from selling it is that every so often (like a couple times per day) the audio outputs spontaneously put out full amplitude white noise which is a bit alarming. You have to yank the power to get it to stop.

I contacted Roger Linn (he answers his own support mail) who said, "yeah, on those older units you may have to wiggle the chip in its socket to make a solid connection". Well, I don't think I'd be real happy if I bought something from someone and it did this, so I don't want to impose that burden on someone else. Still, that thing makes some amazing sounds and the ease with which you can sync delays and filter/flange sequences to MIDI clock leads to some really unusual and compelling results.

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Holic

Yeah, well just give it a month or two (I said to myself)... the AdrenaLinn can make some amazing sounds, but getting there is more effort than I think I can handle. Preparing to sell that one off. As I'm increasingly fond of saying these days, my focus is turning towards trying to come up with original material more than making interesting sounds. Messing around with sounds is fun and distracting but I don't feel like I've accomplished anything unless I have created a track or germ of an idea with it.

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My 70's SG sold it 3 times and boughtit back without question...never again
    My Godin Nylon string a gift from my wife
    My Chibson also a gift from my wife.....obvious reasons , plus its been upgraded with ALL Gibson parts
    My Gr55 I got when I got the Godin

there is so much more

4. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i cant seem to sell myself to a company i apply to for a job...im perfectly qualified too...im baffled

LocoTex and Shuster like this.
  5. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

After years of avoiding SGs because they were just too different from my other guitars I finally bought an older used 61 reissue roughly 10 years ago. The damn thing has become an extension of my left arm. I'd be lost without it. I've gone through well over 200 guitars and this is the only one I didn't modify & kept.

I have an early 90's Korean Epiphone Emperor from before they became the Joe Pass model. I've bought this exact guitar twice & am pretty sure it's a lifer now. Especially now that it's been somewhat "Gretsch-ized".

And I have the first guitar I ever built. My version of a 72 Tele Thinline. For obvious reasons I'll keep that. Even this guitar which I made for myself the way I wanted it has been modified & tinkered with. That's how awesome that SG is.

Everything else is fluid.

Oh and even though I'm a Fender tube amp dude through & through, I have 5 Johnson Millennium 150s. One that works the 4 others before it in various stages of death kept around to donate parts to the not yet dead one. I still love those amps. Just can't rely on them for gigging or regular band use anymore.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Shuster and 24 track like this.
  6. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's your imposing handsome good looks Brad Pitt,,, iful;)

7. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

but if that was true id have to be seen in person but i cant get interviews...plus the name implies im opposite of him...i look pitiful

8. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

My Melody Makers. Cheap but bodacious.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.