Things that look stupid when we " perform "

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by viking, Apr 20, 2019.

1. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Naw, from Madison WI.

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Might as well add guitars to that list.

I have a friend who wears bright shirts, very easy to find at huge metal shows in summer.

3. boxEVILbox

boxEVILbox NEW MEMBER!

I can only think of two things that are pretty bad to do when performing. They come from shows I've been at:
    1. I'm usually never critical of what a band is doing onstage as long as they're playing well, but once I did see a band where the bass player kept pretending to have interaction with someone in the crowd while they were playing. I say pretending, because there was no one there to interact with. He'd hold his hand up cupped next to his ear, and then nod, and then pretend to be laughing, and then start jumping around as he played. Once, ok. No. This was a routine he worked out that he would do pretty much every song. He kept also pointing like he was pointing at someone in the crowd, and then would laugh and jump around playing. He acted like he was a member of some 80s hair metal band playing at Budokan. The problem was that this was a small bar show, and it was clear that no one was interacting with this guy. No one in the bar. Not the sound person. No one.

It made me cringe a little, and I heard someone near me say "wtf is wrong with that bass player?"

2. Don't bill yourself as a tribute band, and then somehow decide about 3/4 of the way through the set that you are going to play an original song. I saw a band do this. Every song they played was going great, but then the singer says "we want to play you an original song we wrote" and then they start playing this song that is a completely different style. Everyone in that place suddenly had to use the toilet or get another beer. It went from crazy energy and people at the front of the stage to looking like everybody went home pretty fast.
    Original songs are great, but not when you've been billed as a tribute band of somebody else. People came for that.

4. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Meister

Unless of course you are homeless, living on the street & busking to stay alive.

5. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I can always tell a particular type of guitar player in the crowd, seen 'em a million times. They travel in bunches, or at least as a duo, because it's no fun to pick someone apart if you can't share your incites and observations with one of your like minded buds. They usually huddle together at the bar, or in the back of the room, and discuss what I'm doing wrong. In the immortal words of "The Church Lady": "Isn't that special". I'm sure they'd do her "Superior Dance" too, but we all know guitar players don't dance.

Luckily, the normal people, or "non guitar-player-agenda people" that come out to see our band, and me, seem to enjoy themselves. These are the people I play for, at the clubs/parties that keep hiring us back, despite the fact that I may have transgressed the unwritten law(s) that are now so clearly WRITTEN (or those yet to be added to the list) in guitar forums.

Durtdog and brookdalebill like this.
  6. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

A few pertinent quotes:

"Four dudes in flannel shirts staring at the tops of their sneakers isn't a rock show." - Rob Zombie

"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." - G. K. Chesterton

"Only cowboys stay in tune." - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Deathray likes this.
  7. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I had forgotten about this thread ,I think I started it a week ago...,under the influence of a glass of wine or three......Tui ??
    Guys , I'm guilty of most of the things mentioned , it was all meant to be in good fun....
    Some things just look stupid to me , but it's all good as long as you play and entertain people
    I knew the hat thing would get me in trouble , but so be it.
    So many people focus on looking cool , and all the comments about Keef ( now I will get into trouble again ) is lost on me....To me he is a total has-been that wrote and performed some great licks 50/60 years ago , but he was never cool to me , and a rotten guitar player , IMO , sorry.
    It's all cool , and most things are ok
    I'm having a hard time getting away from the mic , and make stupid moves myself , but I'm sure my guitar face is just as goofy as SRV or Mayer !
    But , come on , please don't take it too seriously , it was just meant as a way for Us to laugh at ourselves , I know I do..,

guitartwonk and King Creole like this.
  8. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t care what other people do onstage, I’m watching Matlock.

Durtdog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.