Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Things That Flew over Your Head

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Recce, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    The Rat Pack.

I didn't "Get" their greatness until I was a bit older (late 20's). I always thought they were just cheesy lounge acts until I listened closer.

Also, Dean Martin (as funny as he was) was really the best singer of the bunch. While his humor made him.more popular, I wonder how a "serious" album or two would have been received.

bparnell57, troy2003 and Teleterr like this.

2. Fiesta Red

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    ...and I still don't "Get" Las Vegas.*

Of course, I don't gamble or drink, so that may be why I'm not interested.

Although, I've heard you can see some killer acts play there, but living in the D/FW Metroplex, we get most of the bigger acts stopping by pretty regularly.

*(please don't burn me, this post has nothing to do with the recent tragedy)

3. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I thought "if everybody had a notion across the USA", everybody'd be surfin',.
    Didn't discover until just a couple of years ago that they'd only be surfin' "if everybody had an ocean".

bparnell57, Recce and Guitarteach like this.

4. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    I was 15 or 16 years old and visiting my sister in London where she lived near Portobello Road Market. I took the tube into the city to spend the day wandering around. I came out of a museum (Tate?) and spotted a magic shop.

I was an amateur magician, but inside the store I also found the mother lode of things any normal teen was interested in: on shelves behind the counter were shoe boxes labeled, "ears," "noses," "feet," "fingers," etc. A smartly-dressed clerk with a military mustache asked if he could assist me with anything. I said "Do you have any eyeballs?" He was momentarily puzzled, then asked me to repeat the question. "Do you have any eyeballs?"

He said "Yes, but I've only got two, and if I sell them I can't get any more."

I said a disappointed "Oh... OK. Thanks." and went on my way. I had gotten 2 or 3 blocks down the street before I stopped and slapped myself on the forehead.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

We has a family reunion in Vegas, and everyone else was "yeah, let's go back to Vegas soon, Vegas is the bestest", while my wife and I felt like you. Maybe if we had rented a car and gotten out of town, but the place turned me off completely.

6. Recce

Recce Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    LOL

7. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Dean made lots of records. He was good and sales were big.

voodoostation likes this.

8. Fiesta Red

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    As a small child, I was confused about "Gorillas" fighting against a government in some far-flung third world country.

I was further confused when I heard that some missionaries preached to the Gorillas and they started reading the Bible and quit fighting.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

We did that for the better part of a decade. Fly the red eye into Las Vegas, arrive around 1:00 AM, pick up the rental car, buy a camp stove (wouldn't carry that stuff on a plane even if I could) and head for the Sierras. Sometimes the rental guys asked where we were staying and I'd say with friends in town, and we brought the vehicle back with 1,500 miles on it and the rental guys never flinched. See, the rental company was owned by MMA (Mitsubishi) and they had extra Galants dumped on them that couldn't be sold fast enough - just a big tax write off. .... I'd end up seeing my friends at another time, back in New Orleans or in CA.

These days I often stop to re-fuel the car when traversing the area on I-15. The gas stations near the NASCAR track have fair prices, compared to on the SW (Los Angeles) side and certainly lower than CA. I think we stopped and ate Chinese there, one time in 1999.

10. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 18, 2004
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    A friend sent me this Joke today and it seems to fit here.

The daughter asks her Dad,

"Dad, there is something that my boyfriend said to me that I didn't understand. He is SOooo in to his cars and said "that I have a beautiful chassis, lovely airbags and a fantastic bumper."

Her Dad said, "You tell your boyfriend that’s, if he opens your hood and tries to check your oil with his dipstick, I will tighten his lug nuts so hard that his headlights will pop out and he will start leaking oil
    out of his exhaust pipe."

11. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    West Virginia
    I have a brother-in-law who knew they were real but thought they could fly. Yep.

12. davo8411

davo8411 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Nov 8, 2011
    Pensacola, Florida
    Jackson Browne's song "Rosie" from the Running on Empty album that I've had a copy of since it first came out years ago. I only recently became aware that the song is about - well - pleasuring yourself.

13. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I guess he has another song also that pays homage to that.

14. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Just remembered another thing I had never thought about....the fact that some chicken eggs hatch and some are sold in the stores. I never knew why until 3-4 years ago. I'm 55.

15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Was that his solo release?

16. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Rimshot!

17. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    Pancakes on David Lettermans head.
    [​IMG]

Teleterr likes this.

18. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Plenty.

My gf regularly informs me I'm highly intelligent, but lacking in common sense.

At least I can play guitar though - that's something.

brookdalebill likes this.

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I lived there for awhile, and I never "got" it either.
    My favorite part of the Vegas experience was the beautiful, multi-hued sunsets.
    Stunning.
    Otherwise, the whole premise of the place, and the need for a place like it, goes over my head.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Fiesta Red likes this.

20. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    I'm sure there are many things, but I can't think of an example right now. However, my lovely wife... for the longest time--well into her early 20s--she thought that "approximately" meant "exactly." She has a Masters degree by the way ha ha

Also, when the car radios used to have those hard buttons you would pull out then push in to lock in a station? She thought when we moved to Atlanta that the radio automatically did that as opposed to me going through and locking the stations in.

"Bless her little heart." :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.