Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thin Line Telecasters w/ Wide Range 'buckers

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by teleblueman, Sep 4, 2018.

1. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Dec 7, 2009
    washington
    Saw Tab Benoit play a show with his, and WOW! does he make that thing sing? I know he has unbelievable talent, but he plugs his Thinline straight into his amp and the sound is bold, rich, full, and twangy at the same time.

Can anyone attest to the versatility and tone of the old thin line's from '72 to '76? w/ WRHB's? compared to a standard solid body Tele ? (I'm thinking' I may be gassing for one :;)
    Are the Wide Range Humbuckers all they are cracked up to be or is it just hype because they are so rare?

Fiesta Red likes this.
  2. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Jun 21, 2018
    Canada
    I've been playing the Am Pro Tele Deluxe with shawbuckers in it, and i can say definitively they are really really good, like better than what you find on the lower end gibsons any way, I was playing through a HotRod Deville 212 last two days, they have an extremely good sound. You should go out and try.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    They are an acquired taste and require a lot of touch, IMO.

I find them overrated.

ymmv

4. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    40820326_446801002496798_8166083493831376896_n.jpg I own a 2012 AVRI 72 Thinline Tele in black and it is an amazing guitar.I read up on mine and it said the pickups were re-voiced on the 2012 model to sound more authentic.When I bought mine I did have the cool opportunity to A/B it with a real 1972 Thinline and they really sounded very much the same.I love mine and have played it for over 2 years live as I rotate it with my other Teles.I always see these as a Tele meets a Gibson 335.They are really versatile too because they can handle Fender guitar licks as well a Gibson licks quite well...you can Rock,Blues or Country twang with this guitar very convincingly.It still has a Telecaster essence in that it has that Fender twang but with more growl due to the humbucker pickups.I am always surprised that Keith Richards never really played these because they are excellent for Rolling Stones guitar tones.I am not fond of the Fender C.B.S. era but this is one idea they had that was excellent.

skunqesh, 2blue2 and 63telemaster like this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I love the Widerange pickup Telecasters of the 70s. They sound so good. I like mine with a wood grain showing- not coloured.

6. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2013
    UK
    Another 2012 owner here but MIM not AVRI (same pickups). These are vastly underrated guitars imo partly because there is so much attention drawn to the fact that the pickups bear little resemblance to the original WRHB. The reissue pickups take a while to set up so that they are balanced string to string and in the sweet spot for height, but once done they are outstanding......and no mods necessary!

You're spot on with the tele meets 335 comparison. I've owned half a dozen LPs from studios to an R7 with SD Antiquities and a really nice 90's 335 but I could never quite get comfortable with any of them. The Thinline just hits the spot perfectly with great dynamics and a snap that I felt was always missing from my Gibsons.

Good to hear that from your experience A/Bing them the reissues sound similar to the originals, I was musing whether or not to get one.

I actually bought my MIM on impulse because I'm a sucker for black guitars. The previous owner had spent a lot of money having it professionally refinished in lightly relic'd black nitro which had actually devalued it in market terms! It is now my main guitar and quite possibly my all time favourite.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  7. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Holic

Apr 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I have an America reissue. I want to love it because it plays great...but I having a lot of trouble bonding with the tone. I like it best with a really scooped amp with a lot of top end.

8. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    IMG_0760.JPG I own a 74' it sounds awesome - a thicker single coil with twang, one of my favorite guitars. I play more rock guitar style than country though but it can get thick

skunqesh, 2blue2 and 4telecaster4 like this.
  9. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Dec 7, 2009
    washington
    WOW! You've got some nice amps behind that Thin Line too! I'll bet that Tele sounds glorious plugged into that old Deluxe.

10. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    Thank you very much - I collect more amps than guitars. You plug that guitar into the deluxe and it is instant "Can't You Hear Me Knockin" killer setup indeed!

FenderLover likes this.
  11. Tedzo

Tedzo TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Northern California
    Solid body Telecasters work well with the hummers also...embrace diversity!

IMG_6859.JPG

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    skunqesh and 2blue2 like this.
  12. landofahhs

landofahhs NEW MEMBER!

Nov 5, 2018
    Arkansas City, Kansas
    Does my old '69 count? 1969 Telecaster Thinline.jpg

skunqesh likes this.
  13. landofahhs

landofahhs NEW MEMBER!

Nov 5, 2018
    Arkansas City, Kansas
  14. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    When the WRHB's first came out they seemed thin and weak compared to Gibson and others that were available. But they always had a twang you couldn't get in other hb's.

Also the Thinline was the only double offering in a 7-1/4 radius neck. Customs, with same radius, had one in the neck, but the Deluxe with 2 had a larger radius neck and different frets. And the Customs and Deluxe had a tone and volume for each pickup.

I have a 1975 Thinline, '73 &'78 Custom and '73 & '75 Deluxe models. The Thinline with single volume and tone and the F hole cutout is just a more friendly guitar to play and dial in your sound in my opinion. They all can make great sounds but to me very different vibes.

Here's my Thinline with factory Bigsby. Kinda country looking.

75_thinline.jpg

15. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    Sorry, double post.

16. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    My latest project guitar is a 'Vintage' brand thinline. It came with two stock Wilkinson Alnico V Humbuckers and a nasty neck:

IMG_1079.JPG

I've swapped the neck out and put a 'Catswhisker' Ranger (threaded magnets like the original Fender / Seth Lover ones but not CuNiFe)

Now to change the bridge...

skunqesh likes this.
  17. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Meister

May 17, 2008
    West Coast

imho - it's not hype. The 70s WRHBs are a beast unto itself. And they are kinda beastly - in a good way.
    Seems the Customs, Deluxes, and Thinlines were combined with 1meg pots, so they can really get icepicky, if you get carried away.
    Dialed back a bit they're very warm, yet clear as bells. I don't recommend light strings with them.
    What the others have mentioned about their 'twang' capability is spot on. These are the only HB (like) pickup that has, in my ears, gotten that quintessential tele sound.

fwiw, I've been playing a 73 Tele custom for over 25 years and it's one of the best work horses I've had.
    I've got a 72 thinline, as well, and I feel a bit like Gollum whenever I open the case (ittss myy precccioussss...)

1972 Fender Tele Thinline 021.jpg

63telemaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.