Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thick vintage style Tele bridge

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twang Deluxe, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2015
    Kehl
    You're right!!!!!! I really should change my name:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

2. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    You can go old school and put two nickels under the three saddles so it supports the all strings but the two E strings. Then lower the saddle posts. You keep the twang of the three saddles with the sustain of extra metal. Try to use older nickels from the '40s/'50s etc. that are heavier.

BB, telemnemonics and Twang Deluxe like this.

3. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jun 14, 2010
    mojave desert
    The thickest bridge I've ever seen or used is the Hipshot. They make all styles, expensive but a very well made bridge. Check out their website.

Tootle and BB like this.

4. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2015
    Kehl
    Thank you! That's a good idea!

5. Stu Cazz

Stu Cazz TDPRI Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Spain
    Funny in my case going with a thinner plate improved my Tele's performance in every aspect.
    I think it may have even a bit more sustain.
    Although I don't think it because of the plate, saddles, spacer under the butterfly string tree and going from 9's up to 10's made the difference for me. With all those changes I was also able to get a tad higher action (stock was super-low), wich improves sound quality and sustain. Or at least in this case it did.
    And all this with one of the cheaper examples of vintage style bridge.
    https://www.stringsfield.com/en/wilkinson-vintage-style-steel-bridge-for-telecaster/
    I must admit I wasn't sure about this bridge until I tried it.

Twang Deluxe likes this.

6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    My 48 Proto Piney has 3 buffalo nickles. My first 1-9/16" body build and I brain farted on the neck pocket depth. It is one of those builds that sounds so good I never deepened the pocket and just kept the nickles for over a decade now. Good enough for Roy, good enough for me.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    That all makes sense though for my own guitars I just use a hard wood if I want a crisp attack, clear ringing tone and hard grand piano toned bass strings. Like swamp ash.

The only thing I can use alder for is a slightly softer attack and mellower tone.
    Basswood just never sounds right to me no matter what hardware I use or how I tweak the amp.

Don't forget- soft attack, you can't get it back.

But now I'm thinking I might try a nice thick steel plate on my '85 PP to see if that will get back the attack!

8. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Imitating Harvey Keitel as Mr Wolf/PulpFiction saying "I'm an oak man myself". I'm a pine guy myself.

I started putting on drop tops of Birch, Walnut and White Ash, which makes for tighter snappier response. Like Boris, I don't find the need for the sustain, nor like it particularly. I seem to lean more towards Honk and Pop, and probably why I like pine [in my minds ear].

My favs are my DIY pines. Although my avatar Tele I made on Poplar, and I like it's response and less sustain it exhibits. Perhaps a product of the muting of the poplar in the substrate of the cloth and goo. ;) Because I have had a few Peavey Poplars in days past that sustained more, my only other Poplar experience. Yada

All mentioned DIYs are thin Vintage Genuine Fender Plates, what I decided long ago was my druther. Being I mate them tight and flat, I think [in my minds ear] the saddles make more of a difference on my builds.

telemnemonics likes this.

9. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I am thinking too much mass beyond a point will diminish rather than embellish. Start smaller and work up perhaps.

telemnemonics likes this.

10. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2003
    Kittery, Maine
    Surprisingly, the Squier Classic Vibe tele bridges are thicker than the classic Fender bridges. Nickel plated too. Very nice - and inexpensive.

Twang Deluxe likes this.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The composition and weight of the USA 5 cent piece hasn't changed since 1883.

With the exception of the second half of 1942 to the end of 1945, during which time the Mint used an alloy of silver, copper and manganese. But it wasn't measurably heavier, I didn't find. Old timers call them "warnicks". US and Canada both quit using nickel in 5 cent pieces during this phase of the war.

Heavily used 5 cent pieces would work better, 'cause they're worn flat and make better contact with the plate. And, numismatists have no real use for them.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    bo and Twang Deluxe like this.

12. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    But the tone got lost when they started putting less __________ [fill in most expensive metal in alloy] ;)

Twang Deluxe likes this.

13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    Twang Deluxe likes this.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd be super careful, recommending this to others for a guitar with a Fender width neck.

These saddles force the widest possible string array at the bridge and demand that the strings be spaced quite far apart, down the neck to the nut. If the array at the nut is over 1 + 3/8ths, if the neck isn't dead straight or is crooked in the pocket; if the ends of the fretwire are relieved, you could find either or both E strings playing right off the fret ends.

The USA G + L necks (and even the Indonesian ones, somewhat) are wider than are the Fender template necks. That's why it works OK on them. Just keep each individual saddle congruent with the plane of the bridge plate.

15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    I have never experienced this issue with this bridge.

G&L have a 1-5/8" nut and 1-3/4" width available as an option, as well as the standard 1-11/16". They use this bridge with all profiles.

16. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley

17. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2010
    Kepler-186f
    +1... they’re significantly thicker and have more sustain to my ear. I have his bridges on several teles and strats and they are fantastic.

Also take a look at Rutters

18. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2010
    Kepler-186f
    I had a brass bridge from Armadillo. Built like a tank. Careful which material you pick... brass (what I had) darkens the tone significantly. That’s either good or bad depending on how much you want a darker tone :)

19. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    It is nicely finished. The whole assembly with brass saddles is about $20 USD from Darren Riley and others.

Twang Deluxe and jonnyfez like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.