Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thick vintage style Tele bridge

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twang Deluxe, Jul 11, 2018.

1. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    That is correct. It’s an outlier for sure!

2. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe TDPRI Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Kehl
    Today I talked to a guy from a GC. He had the idea to put a heavy steelplate under a vintage style bridge to get more sustain. I'm not sure, if this would really work. What do you think about it?

3. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2014
    Paris, IL
    There is one MIM Tele model that has a 3 screw bridge: the Cabronita. The screw hole spacing is slightly different than the American Std hole placement. However, Marc Rutters makes an excellent replacement bridge plate (La Burrito Bridge) and saddle set for it.

I would highly recommend Rutters bridge plate and saddles. They improve your tone quite a bite. I have his saddles on a couple of my guitars and they are very nice. Well worth the cost.

Twang Deluxe likes this.

4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    I just fitted a 4 screw vintage bridge to a 2017 MIM standard. Straight swap, but I'm finding the barrels bottom out on the plate before I can get to a low action. Just ordered some flat bottom barrels.

Twang Deluxe likes this.

5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I think some folks on here we’re getting the Mexican standard bridge confused with the American Standard bridge. As far as I know, it was the latter that had the three hole mounting arrangement.

telemnemonics and Twang Deluxe like this.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    That was me, I thought the MIM bridge that looks like the Am Std, the wider thicker plate with no side lip; was the same mounting spec as well as look.

El Tele Lobo and Twang Deluxe like this.

7. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    The Gotoh BS-TC2 has a thick plate with 3 saddles, designed for through body or top loader applications and fits Standard MIM body.

Gotoh_BS-TC2_Tele_Bridge.jpg

El Tele Lobo and Twang Deluxe like this.

8. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Gotoh would be my choice. I believe Squier CV bridges are also thicker than standard.

Twang Deluxe likes this.

9. Twang Deluxe

Dec 6, 2015
    Kehl
    How is the sound of the squier bridges?
    Are there any feedback issues? How is the sustain?

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Sounds like you need a neck shim to tilt the neck downward. The right thickness should put things right with the existing saddles.

Twang Deluxe likes this.

11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Flat bottom barrels You make the rockin’ world go round...

El Tele Lobo, BB and Twang Deluxe like this.

12. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

May 2, 2013
    Twangville
    there is these

https://www.allparts.com/TB-0020-001-Nickel-Vintage-3-Saddle-Bridge-for-Telecasterreg_p_3533.html

you can see it is pretty thick

i have a couple and they are my thickest ones.

very nice quality.

one thing though regarding the set screws, they are not smoothend at all so they are quite freshly precision machined/ sharp

couple mins with some emery or whathave you would quickly remedy this.

i however have chosen to use my palm muting technique in an attempt to smooth them off.

it has been 4-5 years and they may have gotten smoother? i dunno i just dump out all of the palmskin powder everyso often

Twang Deluxe likes this.

13. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    I'd already thought that myself. The flat bottom saddles look like a simpler solution, but a neck shim may be on the cards. Interestingly I could get a low action with the original bridge.

Tootle and Twang Deluxe like this.

14. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Twang Deluxe likes this.

15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Beat me to it.

My preference is the thinner ones with Alum/brass/brass saddles. But!! The thinner, the more attention to it sitting flat with the most contact area to the body. And maybe the more likely the leading edge may float and cause issues.

A few ways to address the floating issues, including a few extra screws. Running the plates on a flat surface with 120 grit a good way to make it the most flat mating surface at the body.

IMO, thinness means little if the saddle area has full contact surface area, and the edge is not flapping contributing sonic anomalies to the mix.

Notched with a thinner plates seems a recipe for aforementioned anomalies. No experience, just my brains take contim-plate-in it.

Twang Deluxe likes this.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Not the string through versions of the MIM Standard. When the MIM Standard went from Toploader 6 hammer saddle elongated bridge, to the Stringthrough, thick plate with the 6 "block" saddles, it went from 3 mount screws to 4 mount screws and the string spacing at the bridge is interchangeable with St. Leo/Broadcaster style guitars, AV52 guitars.

If I may, what happens is, people know the American Standard Teles and their spacing and because the MIM Standard uses a bridge that's kinda similar, we make a mental jump and assume those 2 elongated bridges must be compatible. In cases of guys who are also mostly familiar with the MIM Standard Strat, they tend to assume the MIM Standard Tele follows similar lines - but it went another way. I think this is a common mistake - I know I got mixed up about all this way back when - and it took a while to see where I went wrong.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

A Highway One is .060 inches thick and the old Vintage one is .048 inches.

The Joe Barden bridgeplate is also .060 inches.

The Vintage compatible Bill Callaham plate might be more to your liking, with a bit more modern look, and it is .075 inches thick. If you can stand to pay that much, that's what I think you are striving for right now.

Thicker plates do tend to twang less, yes. I can't tell you that one bridge will "sustain" longer than another. I'm actually, not fond of "sustain" to be honest.

robt57 and Twang Deluxe like this.

18. Twang Deluxe

Dec 6, 2015
    Kehl

19. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I have routed a pocket and put birch and walnut under the saddle bearing area under the bridge plate flush to the top of the body. I have also drilled out 2 post trem post positions and glued in hardwoods in basswood body Strats. First to repair a shifted bridge, and later to brighten them up as that is what the birch did in the initial repaired basswood body and I liked it.

You can and will change the response, for better or worse. I have considered such operations successes for my bench operations.

We have had many a thread on blocks instead of ferrules on the back of string thru bodies. I never went there personally. But in my minds ear higher janka rated wood than the body wood under the bridge has got to effect response more than a ferrule block where the strings anchor. Not to mention the plate covers it, so it is stealth Tone!! [snickers while typing the word 'Tone']

Having never done the ferrule block, just experience guesstimating.

Tootle, BB and Twang Deluxe like this.

20. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    But you really need it for quarter triplet notes. :cool:

BTW, Twang Deluxe: you keep de-twangifing Teles you will need to change your name to DeTwangin Deluxe. :lol::lol:

El Tele Lobo and BB like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.