Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Thick vintage style Tele bridge

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twang Deluxe, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe TDPRI Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Kehl
    Hello,

I would like to swap my MiM Standard Bridge (because I don't like the look) for a vintage style bridge.
    I' ve tried several guitars with thin vintage style bridges (with different types of saddles) and I personally didn't liked the sound because they had only little sustain I know Teles are all about Twang, but I really like the sound of the Standard bridge and so I don't want to loose the sustain.
    Have you got any suggestions for a Vintage Style Tele Bridge (non staggered) which is nearly as thick as my MiM Standard bridge

How about a Highway One Bridge

Thank you

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I don't know of any vintage ash tray style bridges that are thick like the modern style.

But I doubt the Teles you thought lacked sustain were that way due to the thinner ash tray bridge.
    My Teles all have US Fender '52 RI ash tray bridge plates and have plenty of sustain.

Guitars hanging up in shops usually have really bad setups and play poorly, to such a degree that I have to bring my own guitar if I want to try out an amp because GC has so few playable guitars.

I might find a good one if I pulled down 20-30 of them, but it's pretty dismal out there.

moosie, nojazzhere and Twang Deluxe like this.

3. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Also the standard is a three screw with narrower string spacing that a vintage bridge won't fit on.

moosie likes this.

4. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Callaham tele bridge plates are thicker than the traditional Fender plates.

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    A Highway One bridge plate is the vintage design, but thicker than a vintage plate.

boris bubbanov and Twang Deluxe like this.

6. ezcaster

ezcaster TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Greece
    Nick Fanis and Twang Deluxe like this.

7. Twang Deluxe

Dec 6, 2015
    Kehl
    These bridges look really nice :).thank you!

8. Frankie

Frankie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Glendale Guitars

bluzkat likes this.

9. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    All good parts but the OP has a MIM Standard with the three screw narrow spaced bridge.
    No vintage style bridge will fit.

There may be a vintage look bridge available with the narrow string spacing and three screw mount but I'm not sure.

Frankie likes this.

10. EspyHop

EspyHop TDPRI Member

May 28, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    It depends on the year. My 2018 MIM Standard body has the four bridge screws, and I use a vintage style Fender bridge with Gotoh In-Tune saddles on it.

11. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    Strange...I've never seen a MIM Standard where you couldn't use a vintage style bridge. Just like I've never seen an American Standard where you could use a vintage bridge.

Gibson likes this.

12. xgritzx

xgritzx TDPRI Member

May 20, 2016
    northern VA
    this was my thought too.

13. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Maybe earlier MIM standard Teles used the vintage bridge?
    This looks like the three screw not the vintage but maybe I'm wrong?

14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    MIM STDs use a four screw vintage style bridge pattern,I have personally installed classic Fender style vintage three barrel bridges in many of them,they are a direct retrofit.

15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    The one that I know of off hand is the G&L ASAT Classic bridge. I would assume there are some from aftermarket makers as well, though I can't summon their names at the moment.

16. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Excellent bridges but even thinner than the actual vintage Fender bridges the op doesn't like because they are thin :)

Frankie and Twang Deluxe like this.

17. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Well OK I guess I was wrong!

So the MIM with the modern looking bridge has a vintage spec four bolt mount and the wider vintage spacing of the through holes?
    Interesting how Fender chooses specs.

Nick Fanis and Twang Deluxe like this.

18. Twang Deluxe

Dec 6, 2015
    Kehl
    Thank you all for your answers. My MiM Standard is from 2000.

Does anyone know how thick the Highway One Bridgeplate is?

19. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2008
    London UK
    If you really want a vintage style bridge as thick as the Standard plate you need something like this from Armadillo
    http://www.armadilloguitar.com/shop...3&products_id=61&zenid=Ntet5OQdpqdQZE9P,P08j0
    Only Rutters and the Halon/GMI plate of those mentioned above have anything approaching a plate as thick as you want - all are either the same as the Fender Pat Pend plate or a little thicker. A Standard is 3 times as thick.
    You need something milled from billet rather than pressed from sheet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.