Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

They can't give away those USA guitars...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by MDent77, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Jerry: "I'm sorry we had so many.....whadyacallits?"
    Peaveys. So many Peaveys! Say it fer Chrissake. Peavey's! You had so many Peaveys! Damn, they're everywhere.
    Amps, guitars, girls, dudes. Was that the Peavey Auditorium or what?

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

Found a pic of the T-15.

[​IMG]

Kinda homely, but it's fun to play.

- D

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    That's really cool looking. I like the T-60, but that one looks awkward. This one looks classy.

Also, I played someone's Peavey bass, I don't know what model it was but it was metallic blue with no pickguard with a slanted pickup, and a really nice Jazz style neck. Probably one of the best long-scale basses I ever played.

MDent77 likes this.

4. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    If you're looking for an older Legacy like your friend's they actually didn't come out until 1992 - after BBE had purchased the company from the Fender estate. Unless your friend changed out the pickups the stock ones were Duncan SSL-1s (flat-pole 50s-style pickups) until about 1995-96 when they started winding their own pickups. In 1997 G&L went to the 4-bolt neck from their version of the 3-bolt/micro-tilt neck. So you should try searching for a 1992-1995 version. I agree with you about the MFDs - the only ones I have tended to really like are the large ones found on the ASAT Specials.

While this thread is mostly about the original Peavey models, some other under-valued and under-appreciated USA brands are Heritage - which I consider to have a similar comparison to Gibson that G&L has to Fender - and the old USA Hamers. Both are well-made, high-quality instruments that sell used for a fraction of their new value, and take quite a while to sell at anything but a giveaway price.

bottlenecker likes this.

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    My first electric was a T60. Yeah, it was ugly - but it was a great guitar.

brookdalebill likes this.

6. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    The best reason to buy an old Peavey guitar is so you can tell yourself you know something everyone else doesn't and call the whores:)

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    I still own my red Predator US made) , as my ' backup Strat' It cost me $169 in 1990, and was my first Strat, ' till I could get my first Fender.

Thin( well, wide/shallow) neck that kind of hurts my hand at the fretboard edge- but a great tone on all pickups, and very stable tuning/whammy bar...

8. Tubeboy

Tubeboy TDPRI Member

May 20, 2017
    Saratoga Springs NY

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Just my opinion, but Peavey is blessed and cursed.
    It's great, durable, versatile stuff.
    It does the work, time after time.
    It's always been affordable, that's the blessing.
    The curse is they way it looks.
    The amps look cheap.
    The guitars are stupid heavy, and look weird.
    If Peavey came first, perhaps we would all use it, and Fender stuff would be considered weird and cheesy.
    Or I'm full of malarkey.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    MDent77 and StrangerNY like this.

10. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

I can imagine it could be hard to sell a heritage, since so many people don't know what it is. It's a smaller pool of buyers that are going to know they want one. Though, personally, I've never seen one for sale for a low price. I would love a heritage, but like Gibson, it's really hard to find a configuration I like. With such a nicely made and finished guitar I don't want to go hacking it up.

I've always heard the USA hamers were great, but they're too rock oriented for me. Most of them are 80s looking enough that they'll be seen as a little unfashionable by a lot of buyers today. Everything comes back around. Might be smart to buy some hamers right now.

11. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    I remember a lot of music stores were "hyping" the Aria Pro II line in the 80's With good reason, because it was universally thought that Gibson and Fender had dropped their quality during that era. Most at the salesmen said you're just buying a name not a really good guitar. Dark days for both companies. I wonder if any Aria Pro II's pop up? They had the sandwich body going for the most part and lots of switches. I saw only a few painted Arias.

My point is this: They were pitching Japanese guitars over American ones. I guess at that point Japanese guitars were no longer considered "cheap".

12. kennl

kennl Tele-Holic

Feb 6, 2007
    Moon Township, PA
    When the craigslist ad subject line leaves out the brand name, you will most likely find a Peavey or Crate.
    Perhaps it's the number of bad bands sporting that equipment onstage that dragged down the reputation.

13. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Hamers weren't all 80s shredders; their original model was an Explorer with a flame top and LP Standard-style binding & inlays, and their second model was an LP Jr with a flame top. They returned to that type of guitar in the early 1990s - and stopped making any kind of USA bolt-on by 1997. I had one of the LP Jr styles that had a carved flame top, no binding, and dot inlays that was very similar to this one (I don't have any photos of my old one as it predated me having any kind of digital camera):

[​IMG]

Mine had a bit more yellow in the center of the burst, and a slightly better top but this gives you an idea of the more conservative models Hamer had before FMIC shut them down in early 2013.

bottlenecker and 24 track like this.

14. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    A very good friend of mine had a hamer Phantom and man could he make that sing, it looked shredder but through his roland JC120 it really rocked plus he was talented enough to be subtle with the tone and sound. to this day I always have a soft spot for JC120's

15. cyclopean

cyclopean Tele-Afflicted

Aug 14, 2009
    innsmouth, MA
    there's nothing wrong with peavey. i see a lot of punk bands playing them. i think i saw rixe using a peavey bass this summer.

16. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    peaveyyoko.jpg
    I've owned this one since college years, it's my baby.

17. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2008
    Scotland
    I had a T-60. It was a great guitar (I like slim necks) but back-breakingly heavy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.