Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

They can't give away those USA guitars...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by MDent77, Sep 15, 2017.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    They were ugly,
    They were very generic,
    But, at least they weighed alot

T-60 was very heavy.

2. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    IMG_4482.JPG IMG_2851.JPG T60 was heavy. It was a very fast but thin neck. Sounded awesome. I regret trading it a bit. I have a rare-ish 83 gold foundation. This bass rocks

savofenno and MDent77 like this.

3. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    Nice.

I agree the Foundation is a special Bass. Very versatile tone wise. I also have a Yamaha TRBX504 and both together suit my needs.

Ooba Tooba likes this.

4. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm NOT saying they aren't fantastic guitars, because they ARE. But their resale value is crap. In the 80's and 90's you couldn't give them away. Maybe that has changed now. But I bought 700.00 a US ASAT that had custom options and sold for around 2000.00 originally. That's typical in my experience.

5. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Killer guitars, but try reselling one. Unless you get a G&L fanatic who really wants what you have, it will likely sell for less than half of what you paid. See my post above.

6. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Local shop has 5 or 6 T-styles second hand that they are trying to get American Standard money for, they sit and sit, another has one NOS from 5-6 years ago, same story

7. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Another tough sell is Guild solid bodies w/the exception of the "kick stand" S- series, they play well, have great pick ups, but are just way out there shape wise.

8. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    In a perfect world, they would be able to get that. They're certainly worth it.

9. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Sounds like great opportunities for players.

10. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Players who are buyers, but not who are sellers.

11. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Well how can you play a guitar if you sell it?
    If you have a G&L from when Leo was still alive, I would say never sell it.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

That T-60 has $100 in volume and tone knobs, last I heard.

For as hated as these guitars appear from this thread ... The local used T-series, if reasonably priced, sell through. The reasonable price is above my 'play'-scale though so I have none.

I do have a US Predator and at least one of the import Predators/Raptors -- I've owned several and they are all solid guitars. I had an import EXP with quilted-bling that I sold for twice what I paid for it so it's possible.

The brand has been a hard sell on the used market, the same difficulty as other non-Fender/Gibson names seem to have too. Fair though, Gibson introduced the robot tuners and other model changes in 2015 and nearly sunk the company on it because buyers didn't want any changes from their brand's image/product.

13. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    I bought my American Standard Tele, pretty much in unused condition, for $500. Made in USA. got to play it and everything. Walked home with it that day.

14. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 16, 2005
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I agree with this.

I picked up an '81 G & L F-100II at a pawnshop for really cheap.

It plays and sounds good. It's not the best looking Strat style guitar, but it was made in the early days of G & L

[​IMG]

bottlenecker likes this.

15. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2012
    I bought this T-60, that was in need of some major TLC and brought it back to life. The electronics were dead, the jack was hanging out, it was absolutely messed up. I sorted it all out as a bit of a project (I'm still missing the truss rod cover). It was just a bit of fun fixing it up. It is heavy beyond belief and I've never opened the case since doing it. It is a battleship of a guitar but it just isn't me.... IMG_5019.JPG IMG_5021.JPG IMG_5020.JPG IMG_4844.JPG IMG_5034.JPG IMG_4847.JPG

24 track and savofenno like this.

16. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Holic

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Hmm, kinda giving me that Brian May vibe the way it looks here.

17. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2012

He clearly had to take it off! :) They must have had an endorsement deal.

bottlenecker likes this.

18. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    I have a T-40 bass which I bought new many years ago ... it weighs a ton, I still use it once in a while and I blame my back and shoulder problems on it but it sounds really good. I have always like the T-60 guitars but you have to really learn how to use the controls ... I don't own one ..... yet. The only thing is the weight. At my age and in my physical condition I don't think I could play it all night.

19. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    My Peavey Preditor EXP (far left) I got from Long & Mcquade for a give-a-way price, and the floyd rose on it was worth more than the guitar. they priced from that years vintage guitar guide ,a cool and fun guitar to play (plus its a lefty), Some one bought this and never set it up and couldnt play it after they got it home so they dumped it for some thing else. their loss my gain! P1011487.JPG

But I'd never pay full price for one!

20. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Not sure how we've arrived at that. I didn't mean to imply anything of that sort.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.