Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

They can't give away those USA guitars...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by MDent77, Sep 15, 2017.

1. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    That's a quote for the Rock n Roll HOF.

Cam, jvin248, Dan R and 1 other person like this.

2. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    It's own.

3. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Probably just a little brand whorin goin down, but the reality is that a lot of off brands...not necessarily Peavey....suck. they often require way more tlc to bring up to par with Fender counterparts.

4. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    I'm not saying Peavey guitars sound bad, I'm just saying that they don't stand out to me. Everyone should buy and play what suits them.

I'm a telecaster guy, so I'm partial.

5. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Yes, heavy and thin necks.

Theorage likes this.

6. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    In the Boston area, years back when mentioning any gear made by Hartley Peavey...let me say, it wasn't the top brand. I judged simple on the feel. More than the label.

I agree with the pickups. Though most Fenders I have owned the pickups get ripped out as well. Fender never did pickups well, IMO. My favorite Tele had a sweet neck but the pickups were dead. I swapped them out and it has become an appendage of mine.

7. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    T40 basses seem to be in demand, though. My first real bass was a T40, it was heavy and the switching was too complicated for me at the time. Punted it for an Epiphone P-bass copy and was much happier. I wouldn't mind having another, but not for $500.

8. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK

Weight has never bothered me, but aren't those 10 pound monsters?

9. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    My bassist has a T40 and its fantastic. Sounds great and has huge range. Built like military kit too. Weighs a ton.

Dan R and MDent77 like this.

10. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2016
    Champaign illinois
    When I saw the second or third post where he said "my friend picked up three"-I thought- not at the same time unless he is a bodybuilder! They are great guitars-design wise-just not application wise.

beyer160 likes this.

11. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    A few models were solid wood. :)

I did get a kick out of how the manual for the guitar I bought (in 1987) read, "All switches are military grade toggles." As if I was going to war with Ted Nugent? ":)

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I bought a T-60 once in a pawn shop for around $100, kind of on a whim.....I had seen an article in Vintage Guitar praising them. After getting it home and messing around with it, I realized someone at Vintage Guitar must have had a warehouse full of them they were trying to unload. (and couldn't) It was heavy ( like 10 lbs or so), had a thin, almost toothpick neck, and was completely undistinguished, sound-wise. I ended up using the tuners (Gotoh- excellent) and the hardtail bridge for other guitars, as well as various screws and bits of hardware. I re-cut the headstock to a Tele profile, and it is like new as far as finish. I'll use it someday for something calling for a "Twiggy" neck. The thing no one has mentioned is the metal nut, which gives it a hard-edged, harsh sound. (IMHO) Fortunately, it was an inexpensive lesson to learn, but one I won't forget.

deadbeat son, Dan R and Doug 54 like this.

13. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    It was the same with G&L, and still is for the most part. US G&L's are very difficult to sell, at least for what they are actually worth.

14. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville

Classics, classic I tells ya.

15. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 16, 2005
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I'm one of the biggest pawnshop whores around.

I have found A LOT of AMAZING deals on good quality Fender and Gibson guitars over the last 15 yrs.

In that time I've seen a TON of older 70's & 80's Peavey guitars at literally give away prices in the same pawnshop.

I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money on them.

I just feel like I'd be throwing away money.

I think most of these guitars are heavy as hell and have the very thin necks.

I then think that I'll end up having to sell them, and I might not even get my money back.

I stick with my Fender and Gibson guitars.

Dan R likes this.

16. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Really? That could be true, because I think they're worth a lot. A friend had a late 80s legacy classic, with 50s style alnico strat pickups made by DiMarzio that came stock. It stands out in my mind as maybe the best guitar I've ever played, and I'm not into strats. The sound was spectacular, it was wonderful to play, it looked great, and it had the best working fulcrum bridge I've ever tried. MFD pickups have always disappointed, but that legacy... I should go buy one instead of talking them up here.

17. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2012
    Clarksville, TN
    I'm plenty ugly all by myself. Having an ugly guitar just exponentially increases the problem.

Doctorx33 and SheldonP like this.

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I had a T-60 in high school and I sold Peavey gear for three years in college. I've had a couple T-15's in recent years. I used to love unboxing the interesting low price Peaveys.

We had a fretless T-20 bass in the store for almost 2 years. I think it scared people. It was a beautiful simple thing to hold and play. If I ever happen upon a fretless T-20 I'm going for it. Remember these....?

[​IMG]

Dan R likes this.

19. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Peavey's and Ovation electrics are sort of in the same category. Fugly designs that are built well and function great, but something is just "off" enough to make them a no-go for me. Man, I love me a Breadwinner or Deacon...even a Viper, but most of the time when I plug them in they're sort of meh.

Ace played one and I almost bought one for that reason alone, but I couldn't do it. :lol:

oops_73.jpg

20. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    Really.

A buddy of mine just picked up the guitar. He asked for a recommendation and I steered him to G&L USA Legacy over Fender. He has a sweet axe yet a bit more than double the price what you'd get used for a MIM Fender.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.