Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

They can't give away those USA guitars...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by MDent77, Sep 15, 2017.

1. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    I got an email that a guitar listed 8 months ago got an offer and prompted me to do so...I would have bid if I was able. Yet, I am often amazed at how some well made guitars (from the 70's/80's) from the USA can get ignored. A Strat style for under 500 bucks to install your favorite pickups in...yet it's uninteresting to most? Frankly, I wonder if it's an issue of a culture of Brand Whores?

[​IMG]

Dismalhead, radiocaster, DonM and 5 others like this.

2. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I have a friend who has about three classic peaveys he picked up around town. He has had them listed on CL for six months and no bites. Those Crazy Ps just aren't wanted. I love em, wished I still had an old Pbass back in the day.

MDent77 likes this.

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

I picked up an old T-15 in a trade a couple of years ago, and I really like it. I want to get one of the full-scale ones, like a T-60, just haven't gotten round to it yet.

- D

MDent77 likes this.

4. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

The problem imo is they are ugly. From day 1 they were ugly, and still are.

hellopike, Grux, Dismalhead and 5 others like this.

5. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    The problem is that the headstock has a severe defect. It says "Peavey".

Andy B and nojazzhere like this.

6. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    not ugly but most have thin necks, not for me, love the body tho

Theorage and MDent77 like this.

7. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    I love old Peaveys. They are usually the first to go when it's time to thin the herd though, so I guess I don't love them THAT much. They are good quality and I do miss my 90s Predator that I bought new.

Chiogtr4x, twr1 and MDent77 like this.

8. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Eh. Maybe you care too much about country of origin - there are a million good guitars you can buy for under $500, why buy an ugly one, online, that still needs pickups just because it was made in America. Plus it's old and might have worn frets etc. and you can't check it out in person first to be sure. Pass.

Telecasterless and Otis Fine like this.

9. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    My first electric was a Peavey T-something. It was well-built, good pickups, damned ugly, and heavy like it was made of cast iron.

MDent77 likes this.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Even before clicking on the thread I knew it was about Peavey.

Bruxist and AngelDeville like this.

11. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England

A reasonable criticism. The headstock and neck are undesirable to some. The body is no different than most Strats. I have an '87 Peavey I modified and most Fenders don't come close to the feel. But I do prefer slim necks.

12. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    The T-60 weighed a ton. Nice quality, but not a tele or a LP. The T-60 did not have an awesome signature sound like those two. IMO, It seemed rather generic.

King Creole likes this.

13. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

That's a strat style?

I'd play it, but I'm a weirdo. There are a lot better american guitars than peaveys that are still cheap, and I'd like to keep it that way. I'd like a T15, but wouldn't pay more than $200 for any peavey.

14. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    Some players I knew liked the pickups. I tended to swap out pickups to every Peavey I have owned - with the exclusion of the Foundation Bass I still own. It is as tonal as any Jazz Bass I have owned.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Peavy made/makes great tool, for a great price.
    Always did.
    I've had lots of Peavey amps, and a couple of (great sounding) T-40 basses.
    Maybe someday some fresh rock star will use a Peavey guitar.
    I hope for both.

MDent77 likes this.

16. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    I like old Peavey guitars.

Just sold a nice Peavey bass.
    It was awesome, but a bit heavy.
    :(

MDent77 likes this.

17. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    What style would you consider it?

I am curious which guitars? The only other older USA made guitar I own is a Washburn from 1979. Nice chunky slab of mahogany. It's a sweet sounding guitar.

18. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Every Peavey T series I ever played was heavier than a broken heart

19. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    They actually bring OK money in some areas, esp the t-60 although apparently not in NE (IIRC some one on here found a Patriot at the "transfer station") many people wont buy them unless they come with the PV molded case. The other problem is some folks want crazy money for them; there is a kid that comes to the local guitar swap with her grandfather; she has been trying to unload a T-15 for the past 2-3 years for $300, not gonna happen thats a $200 git with the case on a good day.

20. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.