Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

There's only one Joni.... Duet with James Taylor

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by burntfrijoles, Apr 16, 2018.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I found this little gem on youtube. I've always liked this JT song but her voice makes it better.

po-boy, JeffBlue, DaphneBlue and 7 others like this.
  2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Theres a download of their concert together in England from the early 70s. Very good sound. I got it awhile back and turned it into a CD . I ll see if I still have the link.

kplamann likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Love em’ both!
    JT sings great harmony.
    Thanks, I never heard this performance before!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Deeve and kplamann like this.
  4. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

New to me, too. Love it. Thanks!

5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    kplamann likes this.
  6. burntfrijoles

7. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    Always loved Joni. I especially like "Blue". Great album.

kplamann likes this.
  8. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    And I thought for years she was the stereotypical California girl......then I found out she was Canadian....!

kplamann likes this.
  9. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Classic Joni

HotRodSteve, kplamann, Bob M and 2 others like this.
  10. burntfrijoles

A brilliant lyricist, composer and magnificent voice. My daughter once thanked me for introducing her to Joni Mitchell's music. She is not nearly as appreciated as she should be IMO.
    Anyway, while CSN&Y's version is more widely known the original is epic. (Obviously Bad Company borrowed that chord sequence for their self titled song). The spirit of this tune is long gone but the words still relevant.

11. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    That's a beautiful song. I always loved Linda Ronstadt's version as well, not quite as gentle as this one but really wonderful.

I think Joni Mitchell is one of the singular talents of her generation. Fine singer, AMAZING songwriter, and a seriously underrated rhythm guitarist as well, Some of the stuff she came up with on albums like Hejira are pretty amazing.

Just another thought that this last video reminded me of. Have you ever noticed how many great singers have HUGE MOUTHS? Seriously, I've always wondered how much of that is coincidence and how much of that big aural chamber and front door helps people form and change and play around with notes and sounds. I personally have a TINY mouth - I keep a beard so people will realize I even have a mouth. Drives dentists crazy when they have to work in there. And, coincidentally or not, I'm the worst singer yet discovered among the human race. I mean, I'm just terrible when I try to sing. On my very very best days I'm only slightly less awful. I like to attribute this all to the size of my mouth relative to so many great singer, but I'm not sure how much that has to do with it...

-Ray

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  12. burntfrijoles

"Amelia" from Hejira is a stunning song. I could listen to it for hours.

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Here's an odd duet pairing with Joni. They did "The Thrill is Gone" but she didn't know the song that well.

scan0017.jpg

She did have good taste in guitars!

14. televarious

televarious TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2014
    az
    loved "shadows & light"...
    live album with pat metheny and jaco pastorius in the band.

15. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Holic

Nov 16, 2014
    Albany NY
    Hejira is just an amazing album. Amelia is one of my all-time favorite songs.

asatfan and kplamann like this.
  16. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Paris region, France
    Hejira may be my favourite record of all times and Amelia my favourite song.

asatfan and Teleterr like this.
  17. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Paris region, France
    And thanks for all the above links!

18. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Old England
    Wonderful piece - two of the best acoustic players/singers/songwriters on the planet sharing a song - magical

19. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Both great artists. I haven't been able to watch the OP video yet - but I will do.

I tend to have a bit of a love/hate thing with Joni Mitchell, particularly when she goes a bit "free-form" as I call it. Awesome voice but she can, on occasion, be a bit shrill for my tastes (and I'm a big Geddy Lee fan :D).

Teleterr likes this.
  20. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    her concert with Metheny, "Shadows and Light," is one of the greatest live performances I've ever heard and, as far as I'm concerned, set the bar for every show since

huge respect

what a writer!

Paul in Colorado likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.