Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

There was a word heard round the block.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ja S, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Ja S

Ja S TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Chicago
    [​IMG]
    looks like my two piece becomes a three piece.

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    That'll buff out.

3. fluid69

fluid69 Tele-Holic

May 13, 2010
    usa
    Ouch! Im betting the "word" heard around the block would violate my virgin ears. You got the right idea though, patch it in. Everything else looks nice and clean and the way the grain is running should blend in.

"If you want rules, read the IRS tax code. If you want to build guitars, make some sawdust." -Colt W. Knight

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    That sucks. I would rout it nice and square and glue in a block, being careful to match the grain. It's a setback, but definitely not project-ending.

6. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Mar 24, 2010
    Fl.
    Yeah, I think you put in a piece of wood there,match it up the best you can.I think the pickguard will cover it up

7. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

So it was you.

We had a bet going that it was somebody here in the tundra.

8. Ja S

Ja S TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Chicago
    Ya that's the plan route large glue it in and re route. Sometimes it would be better to not go for that last cut of the day.

9. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2010
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Just one word? You have amazing control. Time for a nice thin 2 piece SA cap to be hidden by binding. It's funny how projects sometimes change direction on you. Don't worry, what ever you end up with will be excellent!

Rob

10. mgaut051

mgaut051 TDPRI Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Calgary
    Or zebrawood. Or wenge. Or rosewood. Or curly walnut. Or spruce. Or anything really.

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Or paint!

12. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2012
    Tracy, California
    The last time I did something like that my wife came running out into the shop expecting to find me with only 6 fingers left or something.

Just keep it in perspective. You could've knocked it off the bench onto the concrete floor, cracking off a huge chunk during final buffing. But I don't know anyone that has happened to.... ;)

13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Set up a fence and stop on top of the body and run the router into the gouge. Then take scrap from that end of the cutoff and carefully select the portion so the grain is running in the identical direction and facing the same way as the rings of the body. Other than a glue line, with a sharp bit, you should be OK. Make it fit well, not too tight, not too loose,and don't use a ton of glue. This kind of stuff happens to everybody once in a while.

If it were me, I'd rout a straight line into the pickup and fill it with matching wood. That way you don't have to fool with sanding a curve in the end of the plug where the glue line would show the most. Been there and done that.

14. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian.

Feb 11, 2007
    Quebec, Canada
    Route large and you will see the fix. chisel square and close, and it stays under the pickguard.

Unless it's a solid finish, then it's all fun and candy.

15. guitar2005

guitar2005 Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2010
    Canada, Québec
    That has happened to me three times, not as bad but ite the same issue regardless - you have to fix it.

Don't get discouraged, it happens to the best too.

16. Waylanderer

Waylanderer TDPRI Member

Aug 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I've made exactly that mistake too. Took a (long) breather, patched it.

People have suggested caps, solid color, pickguard etc, but I don't think that anybody has suggested a burst, which might be enough to obscure any patch (if you aren't liking any of the other ideas). Although it'd have to be a pretty thick burst, so that may not work. Well, you've got plenty of suggestions. Good luck!

17. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Yeah, it's a pisser- but certainly not a big problem. Looks worse than it is. If it were me, I'd rethickness from the top, rout a couple of lungs, apply a nice face, bind the top, and be even happier with the final body. Or let the painter fix it.. LOL

18. LowNote

LowNote Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2012
    Moreno Valley, CA.
    Hey, what was that about a painter? I'm a painter and I resemble that remark.:lol:
    Anyway about the neck pocket. If it were me I would reattach the neck jig but move it over to furthest edge of the rout and down the middle of the grain. The jig will be angled but, following the grain. It looks like the edge of the rout stops at the grain. Rout all the way to the top removing all the wood. That way when you glue the new piece in the only line will be in the dark grain and at the lower left corner of the pocket. No glue lines going across the grain. Does it make since? Just my .02 cents.

LowNote

19. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

Nov 22, 2012
    somewhereville
  20. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2008
    Cincinnati
    Please post pictures of the fix. Most of us run into some kind of setback or another. As builders we need to learn how to recover.

21. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Apr 23, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    +1 No problem. I recently had to do this after stupidly
    routing a neck pocket with the template backwards,
    so that the wide end of the pocket was towards the
    neck.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.