Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The worst relics

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by stratman323, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

One thing that kills me is how very rarely anybody duplicates the case wear that we used to see on old Fenders. For a well cared for guitar the spot below the cutaway where it rested on the bottom of the case was often the first spot to lose its finish.

A lot of these look like the hack had never even looked at an old guitar, even in a picture. That poor Gibson up the page looks like that.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I didn't know you could puke on a guitar and call it a relic.

Attached Files:

3. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    $550 for that!!! :rolleyes:

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle

5. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

well this trend is still going strong and i see no end in sight. yet i see sweet-water, MF, etc. the music zoo,and many many more big company's with pockets big enough to order these custom run relic jobs in whatever year or one off color fender maybe maybe made 2 of back in 1958 or something odd and when you see a 8k prices tag, it just makes me think i must be poor because i could never justify paying 8k for a brand new guitar that looks like its been beat to hell. 8k for a great used 58 sure, im sure that would be considered a great deal, but i cant afford a vintage instrument so i do not even bother keeping up on the vintage market. no point wasting time on something that can ever be. will admire the tones, from players who truly deserv such instruments. ( more power to you if you are one of them. one day i hope to play as good as you )

one of the comments made me wonder. it basically said in three years you are going have these multti thousand dollar guitars that were commissioned and may or maybe sold. or just liquidted to move them. i know in lot of sales literate they are using words as "collectors" "investments" harloom and so giving you the i mpression these guitars will hold the same value as a the same guitar that has not had a relic job on the finish.

maybe im speaing from soeome who does not get the relic concept. i personaly think these guitars are gonna take a huge hit copared to a none relic version of the same guitar. i guess it will be up to fender/ and its marketing to keep the prices inflated even after the sales. since relic part of their custom shop has to be big money.

anyhow, just a random thought i had after thinking about some considering these relic jobs from the custom shop as a something that will not lose its value. and i know any guitar is not a good investment. thats not what im saying. but it does seem to me. a guitar does seem to hold at least X value. and can go up depending who the flavor of the month if on the cover of the guitar magazines.

i will admit i do fid it pretty amazing some of the work custom shop. i think the coolest telecaster fretboard i ever seen would be danny gattons custom tele wit his blocks. basically made you feel like you could see all the sale/chord shapes in the blocks.

and some of the relic jobs in this thread have not aged well. the wone who wanted a firm 1k for a MIJ squire burnt to a crisp. you get the impression i think the worse relic job iv seen is taking a perfectly good solid wood acoustic and giving it a relic job. that made me tear up a bit. poor acoustic.

chris.

maybe in the future their will be a market for turning relics back into show room customs soo all these high end relics can get a chance at a new home if the relic fad does not age well. ill be dead by that time. since relic seems to be as popular as ever right now. if some is willing to try to sell reliced name brand solid wood acoustics makes one wonder what the future of this trend has for us.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I love this thread - some of the photos made me chuckle.

7. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011

8. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    That's in the running for fugliest. BUT, if it's full thickness and really less than 2.5 pounds, I'd love to get my hands on it. I'd give it a lovely and fitting finish, perhaps shell pink or daphne...

Rex

9. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Most of these look like someone gave a sander, a hammer, a few knives and set a couple of toddlers loose....I like a relic that makes sense....what I mean by that, is that it looks worn in the actual spots where common wear accrues....but some of these, actually the majority of these just look plain stupid.....ymmv.....imho....etc...etc....

RJ

10. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Unless a guitar is showing real wear from being played and toted daily, I don't call it reliced. I call it "damaged."

11. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    These are the ones that drive me crazy!!

I mean the body is bad... but the logo, at least get the Squier part erased fully so you have to wonder if it actually might be a Fender "something caster"....

Paul Jenkin likes this.

12. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    A few weeks ago, I went to an event at a guitar shop a few miles from where I live. I'd seen it advertised on FB and, as I was around, I thought "what the heck, I might learn something."

I've been very sceptical about custom jobs and relics. Part of me didn't get why anyone would want to pay a lot of money for something that looks less than optimal. If I bough a new car, for example, I wouldn't want dents, bumps, scratches and rust. I also wondered if those who buy relics want to look the part, even though they don't know how to play the instrument.

The event featured John Cruz, one of Fender Custom Shop's master builders. He was delivering some "new" guitars and had agreed to do a session to explain what it was all about to people like me and some who'd already bought a Custom Shop guitar.

As he said, the emphasis is on authenticity - i.e. same shape, size, weight, etc as the guitar of that era - but with the benefit of the latest electrics, pickups and the paint job you want - aged in the areas where it would age.

Although I probably won't ever be able to own one, I was very impressed and, when I looked at the workmanship, it was beautiful, at least to me.

Now, I've got a Strat with a polyurethane finish and nothing would possess me to even try to strip that back - now that I know it can only be done with nitrocellulose paint and a lot of experience / skill. I wonder if the people who've tried to do their own relic-ing will ever look back and wonder what they were thinking....?

13. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Meister

May 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think the whole relic fad will be something the community looks back on and thinks, "well, that was dumb".

Here's a new winner for me in the stupid relics contest --https://mobile.twitter.com/SeymourDuncan/status/934013748314103810/photo/1

Seymour duncan just posted this what they call "beauty" on twitter. It's a gold sparkle over, yes over, an unrealistic relic job.

Fake will never be cool to me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I didn't bookmark it, but there was one sunburst (barely) strat I've seen recently. The total area of of paint on the front of the guitar was about the size of three or four larger coins used as currency. I think it also had some kind of finish on the headstock, but it was mostly a bare wood guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.