Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The worst relics

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by stratman323, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Tele Bee

Tele Bee Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2012
    Austin, TX
    All I know about my roadworn is that as unauthentic as it might look relic-wise, it plays, sounds, and feels like a dream. Who buys a guitar just because it looks good? If it doesnt play well, who cares what it looks like? Also, who in their sad, pathetic, sorry mind would actually want or try to pretend and pass off a road worn as being an old guitar? Lame-O.

2. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

yeah, you are right. dunno why i was thinking gold was better for such. when its all about corrosion.

and silver would be the ideal material. if i remember right, duncans even made a special run of silver wired used instead of copper.

thanks for setting me strait.. i have no clue where i got gold being the better material... i guess the space nerd in me got some brain cells mixed up with logic... sigh.. have a great day.
    chris.

p.s
    the more i think about it, if it made a huge diffidence these successful bands would have the extra cash to have there pickups made using silver... so you probably need special equipment to even tell a difference between the two?

3. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

id agree with you but some of the wear, looks like it would be very uncomfy.

4. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland

5. plook

plook Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2009
    Sheffield, UK
    I think if i took one of my guitars and beat it up and made it look old and knackered, I'd step back and think, 'what possessed me?'

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

6. slapshot

slapshot Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2010
    Australia
    that's a nash guitar?I thought he did good work?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Boundforglory07

Boundforglory07 Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2011
    Oshawa
    Never have been a fan of his work

8. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    Oregon City, OR
    The gouges where the arm wear is, are what I disagree with most with that particular guitar. And the back of the neck.

Not really a fan of him either....

9. slapshot

slapshot Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2010
    Australia
    as far as relics go i think this is spot on
    [​IMG]
    but that one above?? looks like it was painted with masks then cleared over?

10. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

Aug 13, 2006
    pdx
    Someone on Craigslist sent me this awhile back. A 2011 Gibson Les Paul Junior that the person reliced themself. :rolleyes: It's seems ridiculous that a guitar only 3 years old would have this amount of wear and tear. :confused: It looks like the person took a boxcutter to the guitar and the headstock wear looks like it was done by taking the machine heads off and sanding the headstock. :eek: It looks very amateur and stupid. Why someone would ruin a perfectly nice Gibson and take a boxcutter to it seems very dumb. :cry: I don't know what's up with the yellowing on the truss rod cover, pole pieces, bridge, machine heads and plastic buttons. :?: 30 years from now the guitar will still look like a bad relic. I wouldn't buy or trade for the guitar but if the owner likes it then OK. I look at the guitar and think it would be hard to re-sell or would be worth a lot less.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2011
    Norway
    Ah, the Chinchillacaster, wannabe SRV replica strat. This dumbass has been trying for quite some time to get $2650 for it.

[​IMG]

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

12. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2011
    Norway

I really dig the concept! Too bad it's so poorly done...

13. bendingtens

bendingtens Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Here's an Epiphone Sheraton II on Craigslist that I just saw. The owner calls the guitar a "beast" and wants $550.

Attached Files:

14. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 22, 2013
    Michigan
    I hate "relics" myself.

[​IMG]

this thread simply affirms that belief haha

You post one of the most iconic guitars of all time, that has legit "road worn" properties, and claim it as a bad relic... :confused: :rolleyes:

The reason he did that was because people kept copying him. he kept doing stranger and stranger things until people stopped. Much like steve vai's sig...

Looked pretty sweet when it first came to life...

[​IMG]

15. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Aug 19, 2007
    Who wants to know?
    No way that's an Epiphone of any kind. The headstock & the knobs are a dead give away.

16. burritobastard

burritobastard NEW MEMBER!

May 31, 2014
    Worcester, Mass.
    Having the back of the neck sanded makes it so much more comfortable.

17. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2011
    Here
    Nash stuff is Disneyland relic work for sure. It is made to stand out on a brightly lit stage from 100 meters away. I don't consider Nash's stuff to be relic work as much as intentional distressing in an unsubtle way, to get the point across.

18. Poppa54

Poppa54 TDPRI Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Texas
    image-3971643913.jpg

Almost passed because it is so ugly, but the thing sounds too good. I may strip the paint( at least the red and white. It's tan under there somewhere.

19. gnuyork

gnuyork TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2014
    GA
    What I find more offensive is that there is a humbucker is this guitar.

20. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2010
    Athens, GA

I remember when those came out. They were a "Black Friday" special at guitar center for $400. The TV Yellow nitro on the one I saw was absolutely terrible to start with, like somebody got drunk and sprayed it with a rattle can in their backyard (complete with drippy runs, grass clippings, and little bugs embedded in it). I was shocked that they were putting the Gibson name on such a badly finished guitar. The guitar did have a push/pull to split the humbucker though, and it sounded OK.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.