Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The worst relics

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by stratman323, Dec 19, 2011.

1. rip_topaz

rip_topaz Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2011
    Willow Street, PA
    Thank you.

My viewpoint is the same, with some exceptions. If its a replica of an old instrument, and done RIGHT, that's fine.

Relicing a poly finished guitar just looks bad. It's not reliced. It's just f******d up.

Things like finish checking and yellowing are cool effects that we might not get to see unless they are "nudged" a little.

Personal taste always wins. If its your guitar, do what you want with it.

2. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2008
    Scotland
    "Remember relicing is a finish option not an affront to your emotions."

3. frankentele

frankentele Tele-Meister

May 8, 2006
    Viva Osh Vegas
    There is a black "road worn US '57" Strat at my local music store that I just love, except for it looks like no human ever played this guitar.

It's the perfect weight, the neck feels like heaven, and the whole body just resonates when you play it. It's so fugly that I'm trying to figure out a way to explain to my wife why I would need to buy a brand new Strat and immediately ship it off to the paint shop.

ken

4. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

5. aikiguy

aikiguy Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2010
    Alameda California
    How

Ok I'll bite what is the process for making your own?

thanks,
    Guy
    :)

6. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2009
    Auburn Ontario
    I agree, I spent some time playing a black Road Worn Strat, felt great, sounded great, $675, couldn't get past the "relic" finish. Oh well, didn't NEED another Strat anyway,,,,,,

7. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

I design them in photoshop and illustrator, then print them out via my computer onto a big oversize paper graphic arts HP printer... altho some I take to a small sign vendor near me and have them printed on thin shiny vinyl.

The tele has a clear acrylic pickguard over the whole body, so that makes it easy to change the graphics. Pull the pickguard off, use it to trim the graphic to size, put it all back together. The strat is trickier, the graphics get glued onto static cling film and then trimmed and mounted... the static cling sticks but isnt permanent

heres another one

[​IMG]

8. tuuur

tuuur Friend of Leo's

Nov 12, 2006
    the Netherlands
    This is what a US Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster looks like after being in a fire, in a case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. frankentele

frankentele Tele-Meister

May 8, 2006
    Viva Osh Vegas
    Killer idea! Isn't that how they 'wrap' cars with advertising art nowadays? Just think... you can change the look of your guitar to suit your mood or where you're playing.

Maybe what we need is a thread on 'REAL FU'ed guitars' like this one... all we would need is the Lester that was hit by lightning, or the one ('54?) that was in a fire, and we'd be all set.

ken

10. rip_topaz

rip_topaz Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2011
    Willow Street, PA
    I'm doing a very similar thing on my latest build. It's a replica of the Jack Daniel's bass that Michael Anthony plays.

The "label" of the JD bottle will be a vinyl that will wrap around the bass after it is painted.

11. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

they wrap cars with this really hi-end vinyl-type substrate called OraJet. Its very expensive. Some guitar "wrap" website people are using it too... I suspect they somehow have an "in" at an OraJet print shop, or, they're guys who work at such a place, and found another market for that stuff.

That is the idea, yeah, to change the look of the guitar whenever I wanted to. The tele is pretty easy, I change it all the time. The strat is harder to do, it gets changed less often.

12. DC Music

DC Music Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2012
    Sydney
    This really made me laugh

13. Wrong-Note Rod

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    (photo of tele with busted headstock)

yeah that gave me a chuckle too, until i remembered, hey, I've had a gig like that too ;-)

14. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

its really to bad they messed up the blue strat on post 82, if left to natural wear and tear.. that guitar would of been kick butt. but i really like that color. i do not understand the whole relic thing to be honest.. ( i wont say i wont ever try to build one because who knows once i learn to build a high qality body,,, and i get bored anythings possible with all the messed up bodys i will have end up messing up because im not a very smart person and will take many trys even with lots of mentality working every minor detail out in my my mind. and i try to hang on to things for a later purpose not originaly intended for.... ) messed up trying to learn to get a good one.. i hate throwing things away ) but to me these relic trends in guitars must be the biggest thing these CEO of fender for example could of ever hoped for.. why? simple.. all that stuff that would be consider a second, a flaw, not perfect there for not good enough to put on a guitar and would have to be trashed and take a loss on money.. now, its not a mess up its a feature.
    laughs. there some ugly guitars in here no doubt.. my heart goes out to the man who lost his USA fender to a fire.. must of brought a tear to your eye.. depending how chard the wood was.. i may of tried to sve it. would be a crap load of sanding tho. and who knows maybe even put it in one of them wood stabilizer chemicals baths like they do for box burl for making knife handles.. and the two players who come to mind who could relic a guitar like half o these naturally would be SRV and rory ( but ven then it wold be done with respect, and just abuse out of being in the moment. unlike running the guitar body over by a 4x4 or shooting it with a gun. mo respect for the guitar which deserves much more than some of hese relics give. .. i dig them both but rory wins a few extra cool points for having the first strat in irland. how cool is that.
    chris.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

15. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

im not even gonna ask how or why.. and lets face it some of us have no right calling are self artist my self included. poor guitar. maybe it has kick butt hand wound special gold wire pickups in it that are to die for to justify buying the guitar just to yank the pups out of. LOL

has anyone ever try to use gold wire/ iv read its better than copper for its purpose just a wee bit expensive, but is used in the nasa satellites. damn rare earth metals.. illl never get to try gold wire wound pickups in my life time. bill gates says he is giving away like 97% of his billions so maybe he will hook me up.. after all i am born and raised in that neck of the states.. some loyalty gates... come on man.. africa wont mind just three single coil pups wound in gold.. or even if a mixture of gold/copper if that wold be better suited for our needs.
    chris.

16. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2009
    Auburn Ontario
    Well IMO gold wouldn't be as good for pickup windings as copper. Of course silver would be even better, conductivity is the the thing here. Gold is not as good a conductor as silver or copper, I suspect that NASA uses gold because it does not corrode.

17. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't know NASA made pickups ...... I've searched, but found nothing? :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.