Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The worst part about learning to work on guitars is...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Edsel Presley, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    heh, yeah. I'd re-phrase it as "the thing you asked about in THD but then went ahead and buggered up before anybody had a chance to post the answer." :lol:

richa likes this.

2. Laservampire

Laservampire Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2009
    Australia
    I've been playing for 16 years now, and the only times I've ever paid for work to be done on a guitar I've come away disappointed with the results and workmanship.

Sloppily glued braces inside an old acoustic, new nut cut with an extra "mistake" high E slot, a gouged up fingerboard from a fret dress, scratched up headstock from a stringwinder, the list goes on.

THAT is the worst part about learning to work on guitars.

I can pretty much do anything I need to that doesn't involve frets, finishing or body work. Just need to find someone to entrust those responsibilities to.

3. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Yeah...when I ask a question it's for my next build. :)

4. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    and good luck finding it when you need it!

richa likes this.

5. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    If you're up for anything short of frets, frets are only a little hop farther! :)

Laservampire likes this.

6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    "The Worst Part About Learning To Work On Guitars...." is the amount of fun and satisfaction derived when done properly/well! Then, once your guitar is as perfect as can be, you need to get another one to feed the "Working On A Guitar" Jones! And so it goes, and goes, and goes until you have more guitars than space to store or time to play them! I have found that the best criteria for how many guitars to have is just enough to be able to actually wear out the strings on all of them, before they deteriorate from age, oxidation, etc! Although, even this theory is often complicated by a noted mathematician's brilliant, though daunting observation:

einstein_on_guitars.jpg

Just One More Gets Me Home! It's An Incurable Disease!
    Gene

7. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    You already got some good advice. I'll add that 90% of the soldering on a tele takes place away from the guitar itself. For yhe other 10%, just jake sure to put a towel or two on the guitar so yhat if you do slip or a drop ov solde r gets away, it does no harm.

Find the TV Jones videos. Your best tool here is a couple lengths of rubber tubing over the pot shafts before you remove them. The tubing gets pulled into the holes, and out f holes. When the new pots are wired in, move the tubing to them and use it to guide the new pots back in place.

As for me, I can make a wreck of a setup better, but don't seem to quite be able to go from good to great yet.

RadioFM74 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.