Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

The World Hates Runners

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boris bubbanov, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2003
    Fayetteville, AR
    I'm thinking this may be a tall tale. 7 min mile on a first run?

:D

LutherBurger likes this.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, I disagree with this view.

I think humans are proven to be notoriously unreliable observers - even those painstakingly trained make errors in observation.

And there's a huge potential in the future, for manipulation of popular opinion by faked, modified or just inherently misleading video evidence. There's so many examples of people fooling around with visual "evidence" - it alarms me that you're so sanguine, as you walk IMO into a potential trap. This was my motivation in starting this thread in the first place.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Having been chased my a few swans -- they're vicious! -- I applaud your bravery.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Meister

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    Ohh, imperfect humanity, what ARE we to do? I guess the best we can til something better comes along...

Btw why would "someone fool" with this video?

6. Mart the Hat

Mart the Hat Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    Edinburgh, Scotland

I did wonder about that. I'd be wary of viral internet content from unknown sources, but this video was taken from the CCTV of the bus operator (who are publicly run and are likely to have scrupulous procedures in place regarding use of their footage) and released by the Metropolitan Police. It's by no means impossible that either party could have tampered with the video, but it is hard to see what motivation they would have for doing so without getting into serious conspiracy nut territory.

Johnson johnson likes this.

7. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    I believe the point is not that anyone messed with the video, but that you're wrong to blame the runner, because non-runners are "flies" that ruin everything and time their arrivals at four-way stops just to screw with you.

In other words, you should try to be more objective.

8. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    As a longtime runner: When I am running on a smooth surface (like the sidewalk in the video), my eyes are looking ahead enough that I'd see someone walking towards me when they were still 50' ahead. I would have moved over to the left and there would NO contact at all. Even when I run in the park on uneven grass with tree roots etc. I still keep my head up enough that I'd be able to avoid a walker coming towards me (or risk running right into a tree!). Had the sidewalk been crowded with people all moving at different paces, I could see such a collision, but this is not the situation here.

At best, he saw someone not paying attention to where they were going, got mad, and decided to teach her a lesson in the heat of the moment and did not foresee her falling in front of a bus. At best.

william tele likes this.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Uh, guys, I'd consider it a favor if we shut this one down. I saw a glimpse of that video in VA, and I'm just so sick about it. Let's forget about videos for a while, OK? Thanks!

uriah1 likes this.

10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Tele-Afflicted

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    OK, but this was an excellent troll thread. I admire your work.

Junkyard Dog and Boubou like this.

11. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    Wow Boris, I relate. I never heard this terminology before but I definitely recognize these people. A comedian once called them the "anti-destination league".

I always notice people who seem to drive by looking in their rear view mirror - they seem to be looking to see if the are annoying you. My thing is avoid letting them "get my goat" - I just chill and go around them as soon as possible. (you can feel their frustration when you dismiss them by passing).

IT is always amazing to see such people speed up when they enter a passing zone - more or less proving that they are getting some sort of self-actualization (college word for "jollies") from going annoyingly slow (usually 5-10 mph under the limit on a two lane state road).

Here in South Carolina the thing I notice most often is that people will almost come to an almost complete stop in the road when turning right. Its like - "I've reached my destination, so here's one parting shot of annoying-ness" :mad:

It is sad (but interesting) that people are so demented these days that they get their sense of self worth by annoying others.

12. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Assuming we are talking about the same viral video, it I doesn't appear that she "walked into" the runner.

Sometimes these hobby-joggers think they own the road, trail, track, etc. they are jogging on, and it is everyone else's responsibility to make way.

I take my children out to a local 400m track (high school, open to public) frequently. They like to time themselves over various distances, get in shape for sports, etc. A local running club likes to use this track at the same time for group "workouts", and they have yelled at my children (haven't pushed/shoved them yet) to get out of their way, scolded me for allowing my children to disrupt their precious training regimen, etc.

13. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Meister

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I was being sarcastic... also, no we weren't, but that's a discussion of a verifiable fact that would hijack this thread and get it locked hahaha

14. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    I started running about 3 years ago. I am currently running about 36 miles a week ( 8 miles 4 days a week, and 6 miles one day, with 2 rest days).

I don't get much "hate", but drivers are completely oblivious ... heads down to their laps on their phones. The pull into crosswalks. They never look for runners or cyclists.

Now there are some great drivers out there who do seem aware and are very courteous. I so appreciate them.

I use to road cycle. That got way too dangerous on the shoulderless country roads around my home. At least when running I am facing traffic and have less far to fall if I have to jump in the bar ditch to avoid a car. Then once I hit the city, I can take sidewalks.

The funny thing is I've come closer to being hit coming off a sidewalk into a cross walk than I ever have on the shoulderless country roads.

Running, cycling, walking, or even driving ... one has to constantly be aware.

I run on pavement mostly. I hear people say grass or trails are better and asphalt is better than concrete. I don't get it yet ... maybe I will. I have well cushioned shoes that absorb the impact.

If trails were softer than roads, why to trail shoes advertise more cushion and support, if it would not be needed? I dunno. The word is strange to me at times.

15. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I used to run on the cinder track that circles the reservoir in Central Park. The rule there is that everyone is supposed to run counter-clockwise, and there are plenty of signs posted that state the rule clearly.

Guess which runners think they're special and the rule doesn't apply to them, and always run in the opposite direction.

Junkyard Dog likes this.

16. BigDaddyLH

Millionaire investment bankers?

LutherBurger likes this.

17. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I suppose that's a possibility, but I never asked what their occupations were as I was slamming them into the fence.

Johnson johnson likes this.

18. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Ha! Yes, this training group similarly breaks unwritten rules (yet basic track etiquette) when they feel entitled to do so...e.g. standing around on the track (could be as many as 20 of them) while discussing the workout with the coach/instructor.

19. BigDaddyLH

So "which runners think they're special and the rule doesn't apply to them, and always run in the opposite direction"?

20. LutherBurger

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Are you implying that I am an investment banker?

You, sir, are a scoundrel.

21. BigDaddyLH

I may be a scoundrel, but that's not what I meant. I just want you to answer your own question: what group thinks the rules don't apply to them?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.