Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The World Hates Runners

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boris bubbanov, Aug 10, 2017.

1. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    A year or so ago, I was driving on a major road, in the right lane, approaching a right turn. A bicyclist was riding on the sidewalk to my right, going in the same direction. I just beat the cyclist to the intersection on a green light and, seeing that the crosswalk signal was showing "do not cross," I proceeded to make my right turn across his path.

The cyclist was not happy about this and shot me the bird. He apparently believed he should be able to ride on the sidewalk while ignoring the crossing signal and observing the main traffic light instead.

Sadly, this episode is fairly typical of the cyclist mentality here in Tulsa.

OlRedNeckHippy and kubiakl like this.

2. denosaur

denosaur TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Its lucky the bus driver was on the ball or else that knob of a runner would have her death on his conscience for the rest of his life ( much of which would be spent in prison ) .It's a classic case of not being bright enough to realise the consequences of his actions.

3. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    Absolutely yes.

4. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    This thread should be about geezers driving rolling weapons instead.

5. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Everyone hates everyone, did you just realize that?
    Walkers, strollers, rollerbladers, skateboarders, cyclist, motorcyclists, wheelchairers, gazers (those who gaze at their devices), runners, car drivers, truck drivers, bus drivers, dog walkers, dogsledders , people waiting in line, people waiting for the bus.
    No one is special, they are all equal and hated just as much by all the others.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Elmore and mgreene like this.

6. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Anyone with any sense would realise that the guy didn't push the woman because he's a runner, but because he's an a-hole.

The problem, which is getting bigger and bigger in these days of the internet and social media, is that we're being led further and further down the path of division. Divide and rule. I bet people are saying on cycling forums "yeah, typical runner, they're all like that". It's everywhere, and it's getting bigger. Politician X vs politician y. Man Utd vs Man City. Fender vs Gibson.

Full disclosure: I'm a runner. Let me assure you, I would not push someone out of the way, ever, even when I used to regularly run across crowded bridges over the Thames when I worked in London. I repeat - what this guy did had nothing to do with his being a runner, but being an a-hole.

Guran, maxvintage and EllroyJames like this.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Possible, possible the woman was caught that off guard. Human beings each inhabit their bodies in different ways. There are some outliers, who don't defend the space around their body, or don't do it effectively, even in bustling urban areas. But I still don't identify with human beings that fall to the pavement like a sack of potatoes. I mean, I don't "get" either actor in the factual scenario.

8. boris bubbanov

You know how optical illusions work. And you've surely seen pieces of tape that seemed to depict events that defy the laws of physics. And you've probably seen video that you later learned, "gamed" the observer and told a narrative that was not based on what actually happened. What troubles me the most about this thread, is the way too many TDPRI "observers" can't step back and consider the possibility that the video being shown "lies" to the observer and is not a representative depiction of what happened. I'm not saying it IS a lie; I'm just saying our human brain reads too much into what it thinks it sees sometimes, and this might be a perfect example of that. Too many people who absolutely refuse to even consider the possibility that another view of the collision would tell a different story. I'm fully appreciative of the fact that the view most guys here have, is going to end up an "accurate" one in the final chapter. I just don't understand why people rush into a final determination as to what happened, based on a small bit of video.

And once again (I said this before) this probably isn't about runners versus non runners at all. I'm guilty of putting down bait - except if you don't put down bait, you don't get a viable thread.

IF the runner had two choices, one to avoid the walker and a second to just sucker punch her, in effect, and he chose to sucker punch her, then let all the punishment that can fall on him, land hard. What this thread is supposed to be about, is whether we do have enough evidence, or not, and whether people's biases against runners, make them hasten towards final judgment, before the time is right to do so.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

9. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    Without another view of the incident we don't have a choice but to use the one available. Certainly another perspective may look different but if, if, if, is not a valid argument.
    If we were to start questioning everything our eyes tell us it would be difficult to get anything done in this world.

Does anyone honestly think a judge or jury is going to look at this and think "I can't make an informed decision due to the camera angle?"

brobar and william tele like this.

10. boris bubbanov

Not in the South, we don't! :^)

11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Boris, the time to decide is when all the evidence has been presented. If more evidence shows up, I'll give it due consideration. Gotta tell you though, Boris, that runner is way behind on style points right now. If I was representing that guy in court, I'd want to be paid in advance.

12. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Right? If ifs and butts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

This guy sure doesn't sound like a lawyer. I wonder if his client was on trial for murder he would try and argue "sure there is video of my client pointing the gun at the head of the deceased victim and we see the client fall to their death in the video from a headshot wound, but you can't convict my client because WHAT IF there was a sniper in a building somewhere that actually pulled the trigger and we just don't have access to that video angle yet?"

Your honor? I object! The angle of this video is very damning to my client. I would like to request we postpone the trial until we are able to locate a video angle that is more favorable to my client!!! =) And besides, my client and I are both runners so there is absolutely no way we can receive a fair trial!!'

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    You stepped away from "the world hates runners"...and rightfully so. People hate inconsiderate self absorbed people. Bike riders that want the bike rules to apply one minute, then they want pedestrian rules to defend their actions the next.

Runners (and observers) who can't/won't acknowledge the first, basic rule of courtesy while moving fast through pedestrian traffic are scorned equally. If you are moving faster than everyone else, whether you're running, on a bike or skateboard the responsibility lies with you to give way to walkers.

I think if you flip the statement you made about being "troubled" you'd find it to be more correct and would read: "What troubles me about this thread is that BB insists on trying to make an argument that is overwhelmingly false...and plainly proven by actual visual evidence of a malicious attack.

I guess we'll see if you let this reply remain here...

maxvintage and TeleTucson like this.

14. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Yup, playing the lawyer who insists on trying to convince the uneducated that the impossible is possible regardless of facts.
    Getting old.

15. Mart the Hat

Mart the Hat Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    This is nonsense. What action do you think the pedestrian in the video could have taken? If she moved away from the runner, she would be moving towards the bus, and vice-versa. If she did either of those, your logic would still have her being at fault. The only other possibilities would be for her to cut across the path of the runner and press herself against the wall to make space for him, or to never walk across the bridge in the first place because there might be a runner there. If she did the former, the runner would then have the additional challenge of responding to someone making unpredictable sideways movements, and the latter is clearly absurd. I feel that continuing to walk in a consistent, straight line so that the runner could react accordingly is the most sensible action she could have taken.
    Honestly, I feel you are clutching at straws in order to paint the pedestrian as being at fault, possibly informed by your strange ideas about the innate superiority of runners to the rest of society. You even seem to think that she fell the wrong way...

maxvintage and RomanS like this.

16. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2006
    Brentwood U.K.
    Yep that just about sums up life here in the UK, seriously spot on.

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Years ago my friend Dave and I were driving in the Scottish Highlands. The car was about to crest a one-track road as another car suddenly appeared above us. Dave instinctively pulled car to the right, but the other driver also pulled his car in that same direction. We both came to screeching halts and narrowly avoided a collision.

Could there be something like this at work? If the runner is not British, his swerving to his right makes more sense.

That doesn't explain other things, like running away after knocking the woman over.

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    After gaining so much insight into the psyche of the runner from some of the posts on this thread, I decided to take up the sport.

There I was, today going for my first seven minute mile on the path at the side of the Serpentine Lake in Hyde Park in London and there, right on my track was a bloody entitled swan, just swanning around the middle of the path like it owned the bloody place.

Well I moved toward it, gave it a huge punt with my right foot and I heard the satisfying crunch of broken bone - leg or wing, I don't know. I did not turn round to look to see the damage.

Anyway I must have booted the Swan 15 feet into the water and I barely broke my stride. Class move! True elite runner stuff.

I came back 15 minutes later and there was the Swan lying on its side with a bunch of entitled tourists crowding up half my track... well I just spat at them as i passed. I think they were cheering but I don't know, I had my Bose sports earbuds in.

mgreene, Boubou, william tele and 3 others like this.

19. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Thank you for succinctly capturing the reality of this baiting and frankly offensive thread.

20. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    What I'm saying in the afterglow of a blissed-out and unexpectedly glorious late summer afternoon is this - even if we aren't actually saying "hey - aren't runners awful people!", by alluding to the possibility that some might think so, we set up the possibility that it might be a legitimate viewpoint. One or two comments in this thread give voice to that.

As I made reference to, it might not be about runners per se, but any group we care to think of. And so it goes and so it goes and so it goes and so it goes...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.