Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The World Hates Runners

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boris bubbanov, Aug 10, 2017.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

You're getting way too overheated about this. Take your passions out on the guy, not the rest of us.

Think about this, for a minute:

Runners search around, far and wee, for a quiet, untrafficked area they can run in, in peace. And for a while, it is just runners. And even people who skate as well, and walk long distances as well, and ride their bike as well, and jog with their kids ONLY go to this specific place to do their race training. Some people are running an under six minute per mile pace, and all is well. And there's enough runners, that women running by themselves can race train in peace, and no right minded bad guy would mess with any of these athletes.

But legally, others are not prohibited. And so in time, other people start congregating in this runners venue, because they wanna be hip or they wanna boy watch or girl watch or they're looking for safety in numbers - or they resent the runners and just want to mess with the runners. They bring their Walkmans, they bring fat tire bikes, they bring their Mom with her walker, and they bring skateboards so they can skate alongside a woman and leer at her and harass her as she runs.

I watched a least 6 such venues come and go as places for runners to run in peace, because the general populace were drawn like flies. Mixed with the miscreants that couldn't get a foothold when it was 100% footracers. They could not, would not leave us in peace. And then when we runners left, and critical mass was lost, then these hangers-on abandoned the places again and in some cases, the cycle repeated itself three years later.
    A handful of fast people, then twice and three times as many, then the flies arrive, and the percentage of fast runners crumbles, and eventually falls to zero, and the place reverts to a desert. Different parks, different parts of the same park, areas adjacent to golf courses, levees, track and field facilities, utility rights of way, college campus expansion areas, spillways. Mountain bike "courses" got invaded this way as well, sometimes.

Put yourself (I'm pretty sure you can't) in the mind of the serious runner, who helps create a safe environment and then gets treated like schidt for having done so. I'm not really expecting you to understand what's going on in the mind of a runner, but someone else will read this post and they may be swayed a little.

Runners who have been repeatedly evicted from their running haunts, all respond differently. If we're looking for motivation, maybe this could be a place to start. Although, this guy could be a sick assailant disguised as a runner. There have been numerous cases of this as well.

We used to have the same thing happen, in canoeing. Some of us would pioneer new canoe runs, after befriending landowners and working out places to park vehicles and walk around obstructions. But someone in our party would share with the wrong person, and suddenly the nudists and druggies and drunks would show up en masse, and damage the landowner's gate and allow livestock to escape and change clothes in front of the landowners grandchildren and the next time I went there, the landowner could barely bring himself to speak to me. I had the makings of a canoe trails manuscript basically done, and I decided publication was a really bad idea. Someone else cribbed off it, made some cute changes, and they published it anyway - now, the activity is basically dead.

Pedestrians in our society walk (whether they wanna admit it or not) under the protective shield of runners in many places, and it would be unsafe without these runners and other active people, but when it comes to determining the amount of right or privilege an active person should be afforded, he or she is seen as scum.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017

2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Haha. One of my favorite people on Earth is the brother of a friend. He's a plumber in England.

One evening when he was visiting -- I think it was the first time I met him -- a group of us went out to dinner, and I was annoyed by the long wait for a table. He said, "That's because you're American. I'm English -- we love queues!"

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

If the man really is a 'millionaire US Investment Banker', I think I've already made my mind up about his personality.

RomanS likes this.

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Borris, I've always respected your posts and had no reason to even consider your abilities as a lawyer.

This thread has me confused and has changed my perception (opinion) of your legal abilities.

Oddly, I can't even tell you for certain whether that perception has move toward superiority or inferiority. :confused:

5. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Bet you get out of a lot of jury duty that way...

6. BigDaddyLH

Showing up in PJs usually means it doesn't get to that point.

Johnson johnson and william tele like this.

7. boris bubbanov

I think that means, you haven't thought through why I challenged the lot of you with a thread like this.

With kindest regards, you're in the same spot as the fellow who is about to walk out of the restaurant wearing the wrong jacket. It is a shock at first. But "tough decisions" and "the limits of human observation" are the grist of what attorney people do, when they're working hard and earning their pay. If it seems ugly and unmannerly, I guess that's my fault. Other people cannot stand to watch a cow or deer being processed, or can't watch heart surgery. But this thread is about the dirty work that finders of fact have to do. You don't always find out what really happened until the end of the last chapter of the book. Watching a video like this is like smoking crack - people can't put the pipe down, and it is very hard to convince them they didn't see what they think they saw (correct or otherwise). This thread is not supposed to be a popularity contest. And if I came across as the Mad Scientist trying to change the experiment as it went along, I deeply apologize because in a way, it is true.

Many lawyers win the cases they're supposed to win. If I'm the guy who unfortunately had to represent this runner, seems like I lost. But you don't win when you're supposed to if you don't try to win when you're not supposed to.

8. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    As they should.

I feel I have the right to say so, as I was a hard core urban rider for years. Rode my bike everywhere in Chicago for several years, every day, even when it was 30 degrees below zero.

That was in the 90's, before riding kind of exploded.

I won't say all, but many many bike riders are entitled little jackasses.

RomanS, kubiakl and maxvintage like this.

9. boris bubbanov

What we do when we're "with the runners" or "with the bike riders" and what we do when we're "against the runners" and "against the bike riders" has a way of seeming reasonable, when we're doing in, and yet it hardly seems possible that all these things could be reasonable. Somebody must be mistaken. And yet, depending on one's perspective we decide the other guy must be wrong - even when we were once in his shoes.

Situational etiquette.

There's a three way intersection:

a) Car A is ascending a steep hill;

b) Car B got to the intersection a millisecond before the other two; and

c) Car C is to the right of the other two.

The 3 city drivers all proceed into the intersection together and there's gridlock.

The 3 country drivers all refuse to proceed until someone else goes first, and they remain that way as night falls, and gives way to dawn.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Whoa, whoa, whoa - hold up here - attorney people ?

I keed, I keed...o_O

Ok - back to whatever was worth going to 6 pages for...(I can't read all of them)

11. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia

12. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA

I find this completely odd. Completely. I've never noticed where runners run, and I've never congregated near them. I had no idea that runners had such a powerful magnetic attraction. Sometimes they run past my house--I'll make sure to stay indoors and not look at them.

"They bring their Walkmans, they bring fat tire bikes, they bring their Mom with her walker, and they bring skateboards." The nerve of these people, thinking they are entitled to the same public space as runners! MOM! AND HER WALKER!!! Get the fu out of my way, mom.

I have to admit I had nothing at all against runners before, but I'm beginning to change my mind.

RomanS and Boubou like this.

13. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I think the reason you "challenged" us with a thread like this is because you are a self-proclaimed runner, you are playing the victim, and you hope people "side against" that runner so you can say that the whole world hates runners and thus the whole world hates you. Well I reject your invitation for me to join your pity party.

I don't hate runners and I'm not going to judge all runners as a whole on that one bad example and poor excuse of a human-being. He is a tool that just so happens to be a runner... or a runner that just happens to be a tool. Either way, I hope he gets what's coming to him NOT because he is a runner and NOT because his victim was a female. His lawyer will probably want to avoid playing the gender-card in court because most jurors will see right past that. His lawyer should also probably avoid playing the victim card based on he is a runner. That won't get him very far at all and I would imagine a judge would put a stop to that nonsense right away.

RomanS, 1293 and maxvintage like this.

14. BigDaddyLH

Build the wall!

15. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    Ignore list. I should have done it years ago.

16. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Please, can we stop with the deeper meaning of life challenge that you seem to feel you are directing here? The original premise that people are prejudicial against runners is not borne out at all by this example, but rather a sidelight. The subject of runner or biker hate would be a thread to itself.

What keeps this thread alive is that some people, like yourself, are having a difficult time laying blame squarely where it belongs, on the arsehole runner that assaulted a pedestrian. Just being a contrarian doesn't make for a deeper meaning of life discussion, but please carry on with your show.

RomanS and 1293 like this.

17. boris bubbanov

Wow.

Some seriously unhappy people.

Sorry you didn't read the whole thread.

18. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Holic

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    This thread has 117 posts and we're no closer to learning whether the world hates runners or not (hint: they do). Hmm.

th.jpg

19. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Earth to Boris, Earth to Boris, come in please.

Mid Life Crisis likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.