Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Whiteguards...

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by 64Strat, Feb 28, 2013.

1. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Oct 6, 2003
    thanks! no, not really... by 6/58 the neck profile had reverted back to more of a C profile but using your imagination, you might call it an ultra soft V though. The '57 was definitely a pronounced soft V. The 8/56 Tele is definitely a soft V also. I happen to like the soft V necks but they're all good.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

2. 64Strat

Oct 6, 2003
    Some internal shots of the '57

Neck date 5/57 and body date of 4-57

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A closer shot of the Ash grain on the back of the '57... Very wide grain spacing.... this Tele weighs 5 lbs, 15 ounces.

[​IMG]

3. 64Strat

Oct 6, 2003
    some internals of the '56

Body date 8-56, although I didn't take a photo, I know the neck is also penciled 8-56...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The controls....

[​IMG]

the router hump and jack flat....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    I have got a 12/'56 myself. Not as nice as any of yours though, it is a refin but a great player. I found out it used to belong to a member. It has a medium V neck.
    I sometimes read about late '57 Tele's that do not have the V neck anymore and early '58's that do have a V-neck. I always thought that V necks were the result of a worn sanding drum at factory that was replaced in '58 but apparently there is some overlap with these neck shapes.

5. Dawg

Dawg Tele-Holic

Jul 23, 2009
    England
    Nice guitars

I've got a refin body 8/57 with original case; the neck is a v profile and the bridge pup gives the greatest Tele tone I've ever had the pleasure to play with.

I take mine out and gig it fairly regularly either through a blackface DR or a tweed 5E3 Deluxe clone or High power twin clone.

My favourite era for Telecasters.

Here it is alongside my '54 Gretsch Duo Jet.

image-2743084278.jpg

6. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    It really doesn't get any better than this! Some day I'll have me a proper whiteguard. Just waiting for a good one to pop up in the Toronto area.

7. Dawg

Dawg Tele-Holic

Jul 23, 2009
    England
    Just one question - if anybody knows

My '57 has a ' - ' marking before the serial number on the neck plate. Any ideas what this means?

8. 64Strat

Oct 6, 2003
    it doesn't mean anything, mine had it too.

9. 64Strat

Oct 6, 2003

As for tone, I've had 3 of them and played many more.... never heard a bad one and the ones I'm most familiar with have been phenomenal. If you go back to post #6, you can hear my '58 through an AC30.

My favorite amp to run my Whiteguards through is an original '68 Plexi Bluesbreaker combo and it is glorious with the old Tele's, clean or crunchy.

10. Turtletwang

Turtletwang Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2006
    New York City
    Beautiful looking guitars! Sadly, my poly coated 50's Classic will probably never show bare wood. :(

11. burtwangcaster

burtwangcaster Tele-Holic

May 5, 2012
    buckley,michigan
    64, I loved the Beatles cover and all the guitars. Do you have a band ? How was it recorded.
    By the way, you gave one Tele to your friend for some amps ? He's one LUCKY friend:!:

12. 64Strat

Oct 6, 2003
    Burt,

My friends and I have a "recording band" doing some Beatles covers for a project we are working on. I have a decent project studio in my basement and that's where we do all of this. One of the guys I'm involved with does songwriting and performing professionally and has a band called Pezband. Pezband info link... The drummer has also been with some very good bands. I had a band many years ago but play for fun now and share in this early influences project.

Yes, I traded the '57 Tele to one of my best friends for some incredible vintage amps that I needed to fill in my amp collection. Maybe that sounds crazy but I'm happy with the deal. :) Besides, I still have the '56, '58 & the '63 Esquire.

13. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Billings MT
    Thanks for sharing those.

14. TerryOz

TerryOz Tele-Holic

Mar 25, 2003
    South Australia
    1954 "Whiteguard" #8676

I had this one for a couple of years and sold it recently to a good friend. I found it right here through the TDPRI and was very happy to have owned it. Possibly the best sounding Tele I have played, it really had a classic tone. Flat pole pieces, more the earlier "Butterscotch" than the Blond that came later, no name Klusons, Centre Pocket Tweed Case. These transition period 54's are quite different than the 1955 and onwards guitars. A very clean and original example![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Holic

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    OMG

[​IMG]

16. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Absolutely gorgeous there! I've enjoyed looking at your photos.

17. marantz1300

marantz1300 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2008
    london england
    Thanks for posting.Great pics.

18. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I guess I can always sell mine and invest in door to door toilet paper sales. sigh :cry: :cry:

19. 64Strat

Oct 6, 2003
    Sometimes you have to do, what'cha gotta do. :lol:

20. 58gman

58gman NEW MEMBER!

May 13, 2003
    Does anyone have detailed photgraphs of the 55 Telecaster that Jim Weider uses in his "Fender Sound" video?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.