Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The White Roses project

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by FrankB, Jan 19, 2007.

1. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    Hey BIgJohn, Thanks!!
    Looks like the way I may go. My wife likes the white one on there now... I do not....

2. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    O.k. I have disassembled the guitar to fix the problem that were literally happening on an hourly basis.... The finish has some craks and crazing happening on the back. Not surprising, the weather here is unusual at best. So, I am shooting the body with some Deft again to flow them out. And rather than be an impatient putz this time I will allow it to rest until the odor has dissipated...(knucklehead) I am as patient as a saint with customer guitar but get antsy with my own personal projects...but no big deal. I'll post some pics of the cracks.

3. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Tele-Afflicted

Exta cracks = custom relicking!!! We used to some of this in the furniture shop. Of course, it was called country style, but it is the same thing.

Have fun!

4. bobthecanadian

BTW - I had another idea about the pickguard. How about buffed aluminun / chrome?

5. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    worth the wait!!

O.k. guys,
    I have been watching the lacquer dry here in frozen south eastern Pa.....wow is it ever cold these past few days.. whoa!!
    So, the lacquer is drying and shrinking up nicely after disassembling the guitar for a quicl over shoot of lacquer to melt in a few issues I caused in my haste to assemble.....
    Looks great, very pretty and actually the body could have used the extra lacquer I added, it looks very nice now. I used a total of 5 cans between sealing and final coating. That may seem like alot, but in actuality it is not. I can see an area I purposely left un attended so I could gauge how the finishwould be shrinking. and I can see it already....I've never done that before and i was curious as to how or when it would surface. I'm excite. The additional lacquer I used has not effected the tone at all from what I can hear. Looks better everyday.
    So, after assembling I still have not purchased a new pickguard, but the whote is growing on me. My wife insists on me leaving it alone, because she likes it, I've also been steered away by a few other people, saying that they like the white. I am still up in the air about it. eh, we'll see.
    Lacquer feels so nice...

Attached Files:

6. daviddoubleu

daviddoubleu Tele-Holic

Jun 29, 2006
    Taipei, Taiwan
    How about a plain pink or purple pickguard to co-ordinate with the colours in the fabric?

7. chickenpicker

chickenpicker Friend of Leo's

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Cool!

Now, about that headstock...

8. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    I am still contemplating the headstock...haha....pickguard...I have no idea...
    I mocked up a few on usacg, I have to just exercise some patience and look it over for a short while....thanks guys..

9. normantrophy

normantrophy Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2007
    New Albany, IN USA
    That thing almost looks like it's glowing, with those edges. I shudder to think what it would look like under a blacklight ... :eek:

I have to cast my vote, however, with the folks who said to do a matching pickguard with fabric on the backside (perhaps you could sandwich a piece between two thin sheets of clear plastic, and perhaps bind it all together permanently with something like acetone, or a similar solvent?). You'd definitely want to get the pattern matched up, though. I can see the argument for the white pickguard, but it'd be cool to try to make one while you're at it.

I have some gold stamped-foil paisley gift wrap that I've been saving for a clear pickguard for some time, I thought it'd look cool on a blonde Tele.

10. bobthecanadian

Hey!

So... what happened with this project?

Bob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.