Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The White Roses project

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by FrankB, Jan 19, 2007.

1. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    sunday January 28 and it's snowing lightly....

O.k. It's sunday,
    I've completed touch ups and have sprayed a medium coat of lacquer to seal it up and check for level.
    One weird thing that I came into the shop to find was a bubble about the size of a pea on the back. Odd, I've seen small bubbles before, no biggee, you just pop them and when you lay down another coat or 2 or 3 they melt together and flow into a smooth surface again. THis puppy was a monster which subsequently left a divit in the finish now even after wetsanding with 400 then 600. So, I'll adress that tomorrow morning, maybe some drop filling then I'll begin final coating....
    Still unsure what to do about the pickguard situation. :idea: ?

2. P-Zilla

P-Zilla Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2006
    North of The Wall
    Clear Pickguard or a All white one! That would look pimp...

3. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    Can;t do clear because the pickup cavities are huge, Fender took the liberty of just routing the Hoopty out of the body....so, maybe a white pearloid guard or a purple pearloid, dunno yet....

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007

4. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    assembly

:rolleyes: O.k. I have buffed out the body, looks o.k. a few minor issues small areas where the lacquer looks funny. I'll give it about a month and hit it again. BUt I decided to assemble it to see how it looks so far. I hate this pickguard, ew.. it's a parchment color, wrong for this guitar......I have no idea what to do with the pickguard.. there's so much going on with the paisley thing that adding anything to it seems almost more insane, but I have to do something....

Attached Files:

5. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    Oh and it's leaning against my alligator bench in my store.....yep it's an alligator...

6. Willie D

Willie D Friend of Leo's

Nov 19, 2004
    So. Illinois
    If I were you, I would consider a pickguard DIY project, beginning with a clear pickguard, some more of the same fabric, and some white paint. On the rear of the pickguard, spray a thin white burst, then use a clear adhesive to attach the fabric to the guard. It will then match the guitar itself pretty much perfectly, and the burst will offset it a bit. I'll bet that would look awesome.

7. chickenpicker

chickenpicker Friend of Leo's

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    You could pick one of the colours that's in the fabric (not necessarily purple) and get a plain pickguard that colour.

The guitar looks great, by the way (although I think a purple-burst edge would have gone with the fabric better)!

8. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Tele-Afflicted

Pickguard color? How about an engraved leather pickguard to match the color of the fretboard?

9. bobthecanadian

Try one of these bad boys on for size. These are from Eldorado.

Attached Files:

10. bobthecanadian

Or how about one of these from GFS

Attached Files:

11. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    I just went back and looked at the front shots of the body. You do have some big holes to cover with that pickguard.

My first inclination would be to try to put a piece of matching fabric on the backside of a clear pickguard.

I have made clear pickguards out of window "glass" that you can just about get for free out of the junk cans at a place that fixes windows. Most "glass" in door windows isn't glass anymore...but a plastic that I have found works great for pickguards. With a pattern following bit, a router, and a warm place to work :D and that white pickguard to use as a pattern, you could knock one out in no time at all. Stick the fabric to the back and you'll be ready to rock and roll. You might even want to try to match the pattern to make it disappear.

Another idea that just came to mind would be to "cover" that existing white pickguard with the fabric. You could even pad it...maybe even tuck and roll it like on those old Kustom amps.

That is a good looking guitar. I'm enjoying following your work on it.

12. bobthecanadian

Oooo!!! Tuck and roll! Yes, I can see it now.

Great ideas with using a clear picguard and making it all disappear. I think the tuck and roll idea is pretty awesome too.

Have fun!

13. chickenpicker

chickenpicker Friend of Leo's

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    I like the idea of a 3-d effect pickguard. What about making a beaten copper one, just slightly raised?

14. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    Thanks everyone, it's such a great community of musicians and project artists here on TDPRI. I initially was going to do a clear pickguard and attempt to match the fabric, which would be probablly the best thing to do I agree with that. The leather is really interesting, but maybe not right for this guitar, but I do have some ideas for that look. I think I'm going to go with the clear. In regard to the purple edges instead of the white, I couldn;t find the correct color to match up in a spray can.....but maybe Burgundy mist would have been good also?...I didn't think if that until after I was almost finished....

15. fuzzferatu

fuzzferatu Tele-Holic

How would you adhere the fabric so that glue spots weren't still visible? Is there a clear drying glue that is appropriate for this application?

I had an idea of putting photocopied transparencies under a clear pickguard and painting silver over it for that Gretsch pickguard look.

16. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Actually, I think it looks just perfect with that plain white pickguard - that one works very well with the white edges of the body, anything "busier" would detract from the fabric.

17. daviddoubleu

daviddoubleu Tele-Holic

Jun 29, 2006
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I like how it's coming together. Great thread. I guess it's a case of trying things out for the pickguard. Thanks for sharing.

18. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    strung it up and did minor setup adjustments...sounds great, just like it did before the refinish. It's not anymore dead because of the fabric or the finish thickness, it's cool. Makes me want to play christmas songs in a jazz type of format..haha..

19. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    Oh, and there are a few small areas where the finish is acting funny, I'll wait to see what the issue is after about a week or 2. I plan on disassembling it anyway in about a month to buff it out again, I could always shoot a little nitro over it to fix any problems then. I'll see.

20. Big John

Big John RIP

Feb 1, 2006
    Austin Tx.
    FrankB,
    I found this over at Terrapin guitars, they will do virtually any pickguard/colour, might be worth a look.

Here's their site Terrapin

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.