Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The White Roses project

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by FrankB, Jan 19, 2007.

1. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    The Purple Paisley project

I have a fender Telecaster here in my shop where the finish had begun to just flake off, it's my 2003 corona made Telecaster and American telecaster..
    So, being the finish has fallen off and I have a monkey on my back about polyurethane finishes anyway, I took off the rest with the heat gun. Took maybe 1/2 hour. The only product left was whatever Fender seals the bodies up with. It's pretty hard. so, after filling a few areas where the sealer came off, I wetsanded the body level to prep for a gift wrap application. I have chosen a gift wrap that has white roses on it, looks nice. I will paint the sides white and cover the front and back of the guitar with the paper, and probablly have to do a mini fade with the white where the paper meets the edge just to soften it up ( to the eye ). I'll post some pictures of the process starting tomorrow.
    Please any assiatance with this process would be grateful ( no pun intended ).
    I have never even repaired one of these types of finishes, I usualy just stick my head on the sand when someone asks me how to do it or fix one....:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007

2. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2007
    Arcadia, Wisconsin
    Sounds interesting. I'm anxious to see the pictures.

3. Willie D

Willie D Friend of Leo's

Nov 19, 2004
    So. Illinois
    That should be very cool. Yes, please document your every move!

4. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I am interested in as to how many pieces the above mentioned tele's body is made.

5. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2005
    Germany
    Really? The sealer didn't come off with the heat gun? That's scary! What are they using?

6. chickenpicker

chickenpicker Friend of Leo's

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Fantastic - you must post photos, plus tell us what to avoid!

I have some gold holgraphic wrapping paper that Could go onto a guitar, but it sparkles with a sort of greenish tinge. If it had a red tinge, it would look ace.

7. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    O.K. Update..
    The wrapping paper will not work for me, the gllue makes the paer too soft and it just disintegrates.....so, I went out this morning before opoening my shop and picked up some cool fabric. a purpley paisley pattern with Crisanthumums intertwined into it.. it's a really pretty design that wil work well with the rosewood fretboard and pickguard.....I forot my camera today, so I
    I'll shoot some pics tomorrow

8. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    2 piece alder body..

9. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    I have no idea....it's as hard as a rock though and when I was wetsanding it, it had a weird sweet smell to it and it wetsanded up to a white milky film...

10. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    here's an online photo of the fabric I will be using for this guiar. It's a really nice looking pattern and color. Which darkens from the application of lacquer. I'm undecided on what to do with the sides colorwise, but other than that I think this will be a good addition to the paisley bunch.

Attached Files:

11. chickenpicker

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    What glue are you going to use?

12. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    already glued the back peice on, I used elmers glue. Then after it dired I brushed on a coat of lacquer sealer to stiffen the material that I left as extra so when I went to trim it I was cutting a firm edge which makes for a precise clean cut. It's pretty easy and alot of fun. And it seems that the fabric has returned to it's former lighter color after darkening with the lacquer sealer coat. I'll save the top for tomorrow and take pics as I go to give an example. but wow is it purdy..

13. Jeffscreamedcorn

Jeffscreamedcorn Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2006
    beantown
    "I'm undecided on what to do with the sides colorwise..."

I'd go with matching purple on the sides, not white.

14. chickenpicker

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    I just visited Elmer's site - they do a wide range of glues - do you know which you used?

In the UK, we don't get Elmer's - we generally use pva: something like Evo-Stik Resin W; or urea formaldehyde: e.g. cascamite, that comes as powder that you mix with water to form a paste.

I expect pva would be ok for glueing fabric to wood, but I wonder whether it would look right once lacquered.

15. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    I used their "multi Purpose glue" it's white which dires clear, no effect at all on the color. And the body I have applied the rear pane of fabric to has a sealer coat on it. It is not bare wood. It should be plenty strong eough.
    I made a bunch of skinny squiggly lines of glue, the brushed it all even and made sure to keep it thin, then laid the fabric on used a make shift squeegee thing to smooth it out. Pretty easy.

16. FrankB

FrankB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2006
    Havertown, PA. U.S.A.
    Hmm, maybe Jeff, good adviceI'll mull that over for sure.

17. chickenpicker

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Sounds like multipurpose glue is pva. Thanks.

18. Home Grown Tele

Home Grown Tele Tele-Holic

Aug 21, 2006
    The Queens
    Ya might want to drop by the ReRanch board and have a chat with Curtis Novak. He's done a number of guitars with Japanese Origami paper and they look pretty awesome!

Here is one of them:

[​IMG]

He's figured out how to prevent the paper from falling apart or having other issues with it.

19. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

I wonder if you could spray it with some sort of sealer, or lacquer before putting it onto the guitar. Make it more durable when gluing in place??? Just a thought. Also, what about wallpaper? Some is durable and tough enough to allow wiping with a wet cloth once on the wall.

20. chickenpicker

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    :eek: Wallpaper? Have you no sense of style?:rolleyes: :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.