Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

The Walnut Telecaster Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Marn99, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    I routed the control cavity and I'm almost finished with the body!
    This walnut body currently weighs approximately 7 1/2 pounds, though I expect to loose a little more weight with the cavity connections, string ferrule holes, jack hole, and roundover. I also cut the pickguard yesterday, I learned that even at half speed on the router table you 100% can't go against the bit, I almost shot my pickguard and my template across the room! The pickguard is white black white, so it needs a 25 degree (25 correct?) bevel. I also still need to cut out the pocket for the neck pickup, any ideas on how to make an opening for a router bit to access? on the last cut of the control cavity, I also brutalized my template, gotta break out the bondo....
    IMG_2989[1].JPG
    IMG_2995[1].JPG
    IMG_3003[1].JPG
    IMG_3002[1].JPG

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Drill a hole for the neck pickup starter hole on the drill press. 5/8-3/4 and deeper than the bit should be good. Just be accurate when you put the router bit in there.

Marn99 likes this.
  3. dobrojoe

dobrojoe TDPRI Member

Feb 11, 2017
    Dorset, England
    You're working on a Bo Diddley Telecaster?

Marn99 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    when I took the pictures and I thought "my god I have created a sustain monster"

6. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    A quick question that is a bit off topic from the guitar itself. What material were the 50's fender tweed cases made out of? If they are wood with tweed covering than I think it might be pretty cool to make one, and if they were made of wood than what wood should I be using?

7. OtherJMac

OtherJMac TDPRI Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Atlanta
    Having built a case out of wood—plywood—I’d recommend against it. Heavy as can be, even with 1/4” ply. If I had it to do again, I’d use 1/8” press board. Won’t take being thrown off the 2nd story or anything, but with a foam liner it’d be sturdy enough for normal use.

Marn99 likes this.
  8. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Just buy one.Your build isn't 100% vintage so your case doesn't need to be either. Lots of tweed cases out there.

Marn99 likes this.
  9. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    This one is going to be on the portly side after you add neck and hardware! Good thing you are young, and can probably handle the extra mass hanging off your shoulder better than some of us. It looks really good. I need to go back and see what kind of neck you are pairing with it.

For pick guard routing, if you use a bottom bearing bit, you can have your template on top, and glue some blocks of wood to use as handles during routing. Someone recommended this to me. The guard is on the smaller side of things that I route, and irregularly shaped...and I don't like getting my fingers close to the bit. Depending on guard material, it can sometimes work well to sandwich the guard between two templates. I had to do this when I was routing a garolite guard to keep it from chipping. Meteorman recommended this to me.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    OtherJMac and Marn99 like this.
  10. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    So my router tore a little on the neck pocket, and I had to do a little reshaping with a file, it is making the piece of wood where the plate fits a little narrower, and I was wondering if I should be concerned with the round over undercutting the neck plate, leaving the plate overhanging when it is fit on, should this concern me? Did I make a mistake?
    IMG_3007[1].JPG
    IMG_3009[1].JPG
    IMG_3010[1].JPG

11. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
  12. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    yeah, those pencil lines by the way are just guesstimates, I have no idea if it will actually undercut the plate.

13. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    Good news. I used the 1/8th round over bit on that little spot and the plate JUST BARELY overhangs, its not even really noticeable.

Steve Holt likes this.
  14. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Could you shift the plate and thru holes a smidge to correct the overhang?
    Could work if you haven't drilled the neck yet.
    ...I think I did just this on my first build because I had sanded the top of mine quite a bit to remove an oops from my router.

Marn99 likes this.
  15. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    That would probably work, but I would prefer that the 4 points of contact be square with the centerline. I don't have any real scientific basis for that preference but I have always been compulsive about stuff like that.

16. Teleposer

Teleposer TDPRI Member

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    One day, I too, shall build my own guitar. Good job!

I had a Fender Strat that was Walnut - chocolate brown. Bit heavier than the usual fair. But what a beautiful and magnificent guitar.

Had EMG pups that sang like the wind. Incredible pups that just really worked on that guitar. Not a dB of hiss from it.

I know the wood doesn't have any effect on the tone of the output (ducks and runs for cover), but still, what a looker. It was good enough to eat.

Nice work.

Marn99 likes this.
  17. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Meister

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    I don't think you'll have any problem based on the pictures you took. I had something similar happen on the strat I built last summer where I went too far with the round over. But it was fine and hasn't affected anything.

I think you're right to keep your holes in the "standard" spots if you can. If you mess with the location of the holes and then do the same on the neck then that neck will only ever fit that body and that body won't ever take another neck. Down the road your neck may fail and you may not be in a position where you have access to a woodshop, or maybe you just won't want to make a new neck and opt to but a nice one. In that case it probably won't fit your body if you screw with the holes much. Just a future thought.

Marn99 likes this.
  18. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Ahhh, I misunderstood. I thought the overhang was up/down direction.

19. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Rochester, NY

Most necks won't just be a drop in on a tele body no matter if the Holes are in a "standard place". But, it is not a problem, just plug the holes in the neck and 're-drill. Done.

20. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    So I got aircraft bits from harbor freight for the cavity connections but the smallest one is 5/16ths, my plans say that the cavity connections should be 1/4th inch. I know it's only 1/16th of an inch, but it doesn't hurt to ask, should I be concerned about making the wood over the connections too weak?

21. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I use 3/8" when I can. It won't impact anything.

Marn99 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.