Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Walnut Telecaster Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Marn99, Jan 27, 2017.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

Remember the extension lines are there to make the drawing easier to read and less crowded. Where the dimension line ( number and arrowheads) sits isn't as important as the feature that the extension lines ( the solid thin lines that don't have arrowheads) are pointing to. I hope that makes sense. Those extension lines could be longer or shorter and the dimension is the same measurement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_drawing#/media/File:Line_types.png

line types.png

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Mat UK and Tremade like this.

2. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    To visualise what Marty said - red lines are fret positions (and beyond)

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 23.27.43.png

dhempy, Tremade and guitarbuilder like this.

3. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Santa Rosa Valley, CA
    Great comments ... thanks. Marn, I hope this helps you on your build as well ... again sorry to hijack.

I was missing the factoid that the 16th fret is where the neck cavity begins. And I had a "D'oh" moment on the extension lines ... I simply missed the little break between the cavity and the extension line (or my old fart brain drew it in for meo_O) and I thought it was a solid line and confused myself about where the measurement applied. Thankfully no tooling saw any lumber before I got that straight! Anyway, thanks to all for clearing it up. I'm going to go measure my purchased neck and adjust my drawing accordingly.

Dan

Marn99 likes this.

4. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    no problem!
    Ricky Ricardo's comment on the laser line and long straightedge answered something I had been wondering about for a while. I guess it will be straightedge though, because I don't own a laser line.

5. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    I have a new question,
    So if you've been following from the beginning you will know that I am a absolute hawk about keeping things to the original design as much as possible (you should see how well I curate my hand planes, even the user quality ones are pampered!) and I was wondering if I should be doing that channel between the neck pocket and the neck pickup cavity. I heard somewhere that these were introduced in the late 50s early 60s and my template is drawn from a real 58 tele. When were those introduced and should I do it?
    Nov13_PG_CLM_-GuitarShop101_image4_FEATURED.jpg

6. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    It makes drilling the hole from the neck to bridge cavity much easier.

7. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    Okay,
    so for my build I bought a pre-radiused, pre slotted fingerboard. It has 24 frets in case a builder wants a 21 fret guitar, but this is going to be a 21 fret tele, so my first question is, how should I get this fingerboard attached to my template for routing and shaping? should I glue to neck first? How do I know if I am on centerline and square with the 22nd fret which will be removed? IMG_2988[1].JPG

8. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Remove the excess before you glue it to the neck .
    I use alignment dowels to place the board correctly . Locate them on your template . Piece of cake .
    Attach your fretboard to the template using the alignment dowels and rough cut the board . This makes it so easy .

Marn99 likes this.

9. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    how should the dowels be attached? similar to indexing pins in the neck when gluing the fingerboard? I'm not good with visualizing verbal descriptions, sorry :oops:

10. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    This is how I learned to do it. Go to 8:20 and follow it through.

Marn99 likes this.

11. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Holic

Nov 6, 2009
    Central Coast of CA
    If you lay your template on top of fb and square up the centerlines, where does the heel end of the template terminate? With any luck, it's before you get to the 22nd slot.

Marn99 likes this.

12. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    There is a possibility that cutting the fingerboard off at fret 22 could result in a fretboard a bit shorter than your template.

ehawley neck.png

stewmac.png

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Marn99 likes this.

13. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    my template ends dead on my 22nd fret

14. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    A lot of people will perimeter rout out the neck shape and then glue on the fretboard after the truss rod is in. Then they flush trim the fretboard to the neck. Back before CNC, I just tapered the fretboard first and glued it onto the neck wood. Then I used the fretboard as a template with a flush trim bit. The end product is the same. I never used a template for necks because of the tear out issue. I'd trace my peghead pattern on and cut and sand to the line.

Marn99 likes this.

15. otterhound

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Drill your holes through the template . Since you have the frets marked on the template , you can locate the dowels between frets . Using the template , you will drill short holes in both the neck and fretboard . Stagger the holes . 3 are better than 2 , but 2 will do . Do not drill through either . Insert a wooden or rolled pin dowel into the neck and press the fretboard to the neck . Do this dry when you are trimming things so that you can disassemble them . Simply add glue and reassemble when ready . This method assures proper alignment . I learned this from Martin necks .

cpianello and Marn99 like this.

16. otterhound

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Indexing pins . Exactly .
    The best part of this is that you can prep a neck or fretboard ahead of time for later use while doing other/s . If you place the dowels correctly , you can use them for nearly every modern scale and have 1 universal template .

17. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Holic

Nov 6, 2009
    Central Coast of CA
    Exactly, so if that is the case, I would plan "B" on making it a 22-fret neck with a slight fb overhang over the neck heel and truss rod access like an American Std. Tele. It's actually nice having that extra fret IMO. Just make sure that there's no interference with your neck pickup route. There shouldn't be, but something to check before you commit to it.

On the first extended 22-fret fb neck I made, I simply used the indexing pin method similar to the above video, glued up, dried overnight, out of the clamps, then I cleaned up the fb with the pattern bit riding on the neck stopping short of the turns at the end of the neck heel on both sides, then I shaped the roughly cut extension with my oscillating spindle sander, but files and sandpaper can do the same job if you don't have the machine.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Steve Holt likes this.

18. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Regarding the difference in length up above in the drawing and chart, it's just a hair more than 1/32" shorter. The saddles can take up the slack....

Marn99 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.