Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Walnut Telecaster Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Marn99, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    So I routed the neck pocket today (I got the depth to .623 of an inch, that's .002 off from Tdown's template) and I rough cut the shape of the body. Yes, I did accidentally manage to damage the neck pocket of my template, thank god it happened in a spot that will be removed when I template route along the cutaway.
    IMG_2951[1].JPG
    IMG_2952[1].JPG
    IMG_2953[1].JPG
    IMG_2954[2].JPG
    IMG_2956[1].JPG

Barncaster, MM73, Daniel94 and 2 others like this.

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Ye Olde Template repair. Apply plastic wood. Let harden. Sand. Good as new.

Barncaster, Marn99 and Axis29 like this.

3. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    OK, so I am doing some layout and measurement of parts such as tuners because the next part of my build is going to be truss rod and other neck stuff. I have heard that the hot rod truss rods can be prone to rust, so should I take any action on that? Second, I was measuring my vintage style Gotoh tuners so I can get screw depth, making sure the tuners turn properly, etc. etc. and straight out of the packaging these things were COVERED in this grease. Some sort of rust/lubricant no doubt. I would prefer that grease and lubricant only be INSIDE the housing of my tuners, so I am going to bathe them in naptha for a bit. When I take them out, what should I spray into the housing to lubricate them? I was thinking PB Blaster dry lubricant with teflon.

4. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Looks great!

Marn99 likes this.

5. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    Well, I sat the tuners in naptha and acetone today and they still feel waxy/greasy to the touch. What should I do? My next guess would be denatured alcohol (of which I am out of right now). Is it possible that I am just feeling things?

6. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Check the Gotoh site for service or cleaning info.

After an acetone bath, I'd be surprised if any residue would be left. Though I've heard some types of naphtha may leave residue. Perhaps this may be your issue?

Don't rework your parts to the point that you ruin them. Check with Gotoh before you spray anything into the housing...you might create a leaky mess.

Marn99 likes this.

7. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    So I did some reading and apparently they coat their tuners with some sort of teflon lubricant.

8. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    Hey everyone,
    So I opted to buy a stewmac pre radiused and pre slotted (with nut slot too! that means I don't have to buy a 1/8th bit) fingerboard and keep the warped rosewood for a different guitar. I got the Stewmac Rosewood today and even though it is East Indian Rosewood it has a lovely reddish hue to it that I love! It has three small mineral filled pores though and I was wondering if I should pick the mineral deposits out or leave them be.

9. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    Update!
    I routed out my pickup cavities and I routed the edges today. I got home today and measured the fit of my neck template and it was pretty snug then, but I checked a few hours later and it wobbles back and forth within the neck pocket, it is very small, a folded in half post-it note is enough to make it tight as hell, should this concern me?
    IMG_2978[1].JPG
    IMG_2979[1].JPG
    IMG_2984[1].JPG
    IMG_2987[1].JPG

10. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    You need a little wiggle room in the neck pocket to get the string alignment and to allow for the thickness of finish materials.

11. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    I am doing a tung oil varnish blend finish, will that have enough thickness to stop wiggle like nitro does?

12. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I don't think you'll be building up too much of a thickness, but the point is if you get it too tight, you won't be able to adjust the strings over the neck.... that may make them too far on the bass or too far on the treble sides. Fender specs for their neck cavities are 2-7/32. The necks are 2 -6/32... both dimensions plus or minus their accepted tolerance. This is from the TDowns drawing. You can see it is 2.224 "wide.

neck specs.png

dhempy and Marn99 like this.

13. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Leave it. It's fine. The originals were a lot worse than that.

Marn99 likes this.

14. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Santa Rosa Valley, CA
    Timely post ... invaluable for what I'm about to do. Thanks to all posting on the neck cutout / dimensions / fitment / etc.

Marn ... looking good! Keep up the good work! Dan

Marn99 and guitarbuilder like this.

15. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Leave them be.

When you use that board that had a slight warp to it. Glue and clamp the snot out of it. What I do then is run it across a flat marble threshold that has 60 or 80 grit on it. It will be dead flat in 5 of 6 passes, minimal loss of wood. I've had worse fret boards than that,it's just a matter of how much work you're willing to put in if it doesn't come perfect right out of the clamps.

Looking good.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Marn99 likes this.

16. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Santa Rosa Valley, CA
    Sorry to ask here but I feel this is important to both of us Marn:

GuitarBuilder: I believe I have the same Blueprint as you. When you look out to the right just a bit more, the next dimension arrows show a dimension of 2.135 along extensions of the lines with the indicated 2.224 as in your pic. When I look at that number, it would seem that the pocket narrows as you're headed towards the headstock. Am I missing something? If indeed there is a taper, is the 2.135 measured at the edge of the pocket OR where it is drawn (and if what would be the dimension outward if where it is drawn)? Dan

upload_2017-2-15_14-35-44.png

17. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Yes the neck sides taper to the nut. The widest part of that end of the neck is 2-3/16 and the cavity it sits in is wider by about 1/32". At the 16th fret the neck pocket would be 2.135. You need a bit of space for finish and wiggle room to adjust the strings on the fretboard. The people that go for a tight snug fit have a problem if the strings are on one side or another and they have already located the bridge mounting holes.

dhempy likes this.

18. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Santa Rosa Valley, CA
    Good to know! Thanks. For my edification, how would I have known (looking at T. Downs drawing) that 2.135 was at the 16th fret? I guess one could measure from the foot of the neck to the 16th fret (+1/32) to get the dimension to specify in CAD so that the pocket is tapered correctly ... comments?

Dan

19. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The 16th fret is where the neck cavity begins on a tele. That dimension is the only one shown for that part of the cavity. The 1.5 spec is for the hole spacing. If you didn't know that, if you made the neck and body correctly, the 16th fret will be right at the end of the neck pocket +/- the tolerance specified. Most single cut Les Pauls join the body at fret 16 too. If your fret is a hair forward or back..it's not a big deal. The saddles will compensate for it.

dhempy likes this.

20. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Following up on what Marty said the neck never sits 100% straight before adjustment. The tiniest movement on the heel end is a big adjustment on the headstock end. I use a laser line to center the neck before marking for the first neck screw. Or a long straightedge right down the middle of the fret markers. So if your neck pocket is super tight but skewed a hair of a degree the neck won't line up properly and your strings will be off to one side of the neck.. You need just a touch of wiggle room.

Marn99 and dhempy like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.