Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Walnut Strat Adventure

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by John Nicholas, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Holy cow that's spectacular! I too am not generally a fan of gold hardware, but when you double down with the PG, that just kicks it right into the stratosphere.

nosmo and John Nicholas like this.

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Wow, John! That's quite the looker. It's definitely not the aesthetic I would've had in mind, but it really works. That's one of the big advantages to a place like this; so many different people and personalities. You're bound to see something you never would've thought of yourself, and it just may open up your mind.

John Nicholas likes this.

3. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    But yours looks great with the Cream pickguard!! It's not that the cream looked bad on mine... the gold was suggested by mPacT and it really popped and made the cream look not as good... before I got the gold I would have kept the cream or did a red tortoise shell!!

Steve Holt likes this.

4. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    I also really like how your body turned out. Did you use any kind of stain on the wood? Or is you're just that naturally dark? I'll probably hit you up at some point to get more details on your minwax lacquer and technique.

5. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Was this a condition from Helmut to get the Jatoba fingerboard?

Beautiful guitar John!
    Gold hardware doesn't seem to be a common choice. To have it dripping in gold makes quite a statement - very nice!

I_build_my_own and John Nicholas like this.

6. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Yes the walnut I have is very dark naturally. I started by using Tru-oil on the body. It was an attempt to finish a guitar differently. Personally I didn't care for the inconsistent finish that I got from the Tru-oil.. then again, I was going for a gloss finish.

No stain was used on the body. The Tru-oil definitely changed the color of the body... but it was raw wood when I started. Later I can add a photo of the raw body, so you can see what it looked like before the Tru-oil.

The Minwax Clear, is a rattle can. If you have a body that is raw, use a sealer of some kind, like shellac or another clear sealer. Do any grain filling you want to do... then spray 5 to 6 light coats of clear. Let it set for a couple of weeks, wet sand to at least 2,000 grit and then polish.

7. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Hi Mark,

No it was not a condition... Helmut was attempting to talk me out of using Richlite. So when we were at his house he gave me the Jotoba and asked me to test it before the Richlite!! He really doesn't like the idea of Richlite!!

The gold looks really good. The real issue with gold is that the gold plating can come off with sweaty hands and it can look like dookie! Wipe it down with a rag and keep your hands really clean, no worries!!

How are you doing with building? Do you have any time in the shop??

8. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI

I've heard a lot of folks mention Richlite, but am not at all familiar with it - had to Google it for more details.

I wonder if I post plans for a Richlite guitar, if someone might trip over themselves to offer me a Jatoba alternative???

I have plenty of time in the shop...just not for guitars! l foolishly promised a mudroom upgrade without really having any experience doing built-in type work : ) Lack of experience didn't stop me from making a guitar...YouTube is the great equalizer.

9. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Awesome ,I love it.Very nice build John!!!

10. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Check your local hardwood floor contractors for scraps of exotic floor boards. That is how i accidentally stumbled on jatoba and actually made an entire neck for my 4thofJulyCaster - it beats maple...

MM73 and John Nicholas like this.

11. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Holic

Nov 6, 2009
    Central Coast of CA
    Absolutely beautiful, John. I think regardless of hardware, the woodworking and wood itself is gorgeous. I happen to like the gold hardware, it's like icing on an already super tasty cake!

12. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    The word "attempting" is really not doing justice. It was more "begging, shaming, reminding you of your pride and moral compass..."

13. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

14. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2014
    Burbank, CA
    Even when I suggested it, I started by saying, "You know, I'm not a fan of gold hardware, but. . ."

15. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    No that's a real thought... hey Helmut, I'm going to make a guitar made out of Richlite. You wanna give me enough Jotoba to build a guitar??? :D

So what kind of built ins are you building?? In my eyes building straight cabinets seems much harder then making flowing lines!! But hey that's just me!!

Glad you're still around!!

Wow! Thanks Nick!!

The 4th of July Caster is an awesome guitar with a wonderful neck. I approve!!

Icing on the cake... I really like that!! Thanks for the compliments!!

I was trying to be kind!!:lol::lol:

You were all that and more!! And I appreciated it!

Thank you so much!!

CraigB likes this.

16. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I remember that!! It's funny... when you mentioned it, I was not really sure either. But you have a great eye and are very artistic, so here we go!!

It looks great!! And it's that way because of your suggestion!!

17. dhempy

dhempy TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Santa Rosa Valley, CA
    Well done John! Would love to hear your experiences setting your neck and getting everything set up properly!

Dan

18. TheZ

TheZ Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2009
    Northwest USA

19. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Flat out beautiful!

mPacT, John Nicholas and CraigB like this.

20. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I must be in the minority, I think gold looks very good in the right circumstances. Say, umm, umm, umm, THIS guitar! Gorgeous, John N. But you sure are right about the corrosive effects of sweat and hand crud on gold. I can ruin a set of strings in less than a week with my industrial-strength hand sweat, so I avoid playing good looking guitars, but I'd be temped to get my mitts on that Strat, it's so lovely.

John Nicholas and CraigB like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.