Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Walnut Strat Adventure

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by John Nicholas, Oct 8, 2017.

1. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    This project has been floating around for quite some time. It was finished using a one piece maple neck that I made when first starting my building adventure. The trouble was there were some issues with the neck, the big one was it ended up being too narrow!!

Honestly it was on the back burner for a very long time. Sometime in the spring a neck neck was started. Again using maple, but this time I used a huge flat sawn board that I ripped in two and glued up as quarter sawn. I got the idea from Fletcher.

Wasn't sure what to do about a fingerboard, until Helmut gave me a Jotoba fingerboard.

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1459.JPG

IMG_1479.JPG

I used white clay fret markers, in retrospect probably not the best choice. The neck radius is 12" and it's a 22 fret neck with a small over hang.

IMG_1486.JPG

Again the neck was carved using Marty's facet method. I really love how this works and how accurate you can make the neck carve!

IMG_1522.JPG

Printed up my own headstock decal and buried it with clear. The only part of the headstock sprayed with clear is the face.

For those who have seen the body before, it had been finished using Tru-oil. I didn't care for the inconsistent finish, so it was sanded level and sprayed with Miniwax clear lacquer.

IMG_1759.JPG

2. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Here's a view from the back...

IMG_1760.JPG

The body was put on the scale.... 4 pounds 2.2 ounces...

IMG_1764.JPG

Then for the very first time I shielded the body cavities.

IMG_1766.JPG

Then because everything was being changed, a new pickguard was assembled. I used alnico 5 pickups, CTS pots, Oak Grigsby switch and a cool cap that mPact sent me....

IMG_1756.JPG

Then the guitar was bolted together.... still needs to be set up, but I wanted to show it off...

IMG_1768.JPG

Yes, I went with gold hardware!!

IMG_1770.JPG

Newbcaster, tintag27, Deneb and 22 others like this.

3. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1781.JPG

IMG_1782.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

So what do you think of the color combo? You like the gold with the walnut and jotoba?

4. highwaycat

highwaycat TDPRI Member

Jun 15, 2017
    California
    Very nice!
    What is this Marty's facet method you mention?

I like the gold bridge and gold tuners, but not so much the gold pickguard and pickup covers. The knobs are ok. Maybe a yellowed pearl pickguard?

I like the body a lot. How does it sound?

Teleterr and John Nicholas like this.

5. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    Its so nice Id be afraid to play it!

John Nicholas likes this.

6. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    Man oh man, what a beauty!

Indy-Tele and John Nicholas like this.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

8. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    That's beautiful John! I like the clay dots. That piece of Jotoba is more brown than the stuff I have. Normally I would say friends don't give friends pieces of Jotoba :) but it doesn't seem to have given you problems and came out very nice. Of course this means that my struggles with Jotoba are just me :rolleyes:.

9. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Man you took Gold hardware to the next level with that pickguard. I've never seen anything like that.

I've got a walnut Tele I made with a maple neck, rosewood board, and gold hardware but I went with a white pearloid pickguard then later changed it to cream which I like better.

I like it!! I think gold goes good on a walnut body.

20160531_143657.jpg

After checking out your post I'm thinking... You know there's always been something about that guitar that bugged me. It's my first build and mistakes were made. I might take the time to make a new neck for it, and maybe refinish the body.

10. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    "Yes, I went with gold hardware!!"

Holy Cow, did you ever. That is the guitar that the theme from Goldfinger was meant to be played on.

Very well executed.

Rex

11. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    I was all set to "not like" the walnut. Until I looked at it. It's great, really.

12. LPTyler

LPTyler TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Rock Springs, WY
    I like it. It has a 70s vibe to me. Well done!!

John Nicholas and fenderchamp like this.

13. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yeah, that’s awesome! The fit & finish is spectacular. How does it sound?

I’ve got an unfinished Tele body in oak + black walnut. I like walnut and intend the hardware for that guitar to be gold. When you wrote you were going with gold, that little voice in my head just nodded and agreed, of course it’s getting gold.

14. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    Nice job! That's beautiful and love the gold.

15. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Here is the facet method, along with a complete neck build!
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/lets-make-a-neck.755300/#post-7793285

Previously this guitar had a cream pickguard, traditional pickup covers and knobs, it looked dull and lifeless.

The gold was suggested by mPacT and at first I was unsure, but once I got the gold pickguard and held it up against the guitar I knew it was the right decision.

I know that it will not be right for everyone, but the ones that will like it will love it. Besides, it's an original. I really love that!

Interesting side note, when you show this to non-guitar folks they love it!!

The body is one piece walnut, which I sourced locally. It was air-dried for over 9 years!

The guitar sounds really good, but that's with me playing it. I'm going to have a really good guitar player test it out as soon as it gets set up properly.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Southpole likes this.

16. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    It's a blast to play!! Besides the gold pickguard is plastic! And the gold is on the inside!

Thank you!

Thank you!

The dots look really good until you get real close up to a few of them, there are small dents in them that bother me.

The Jotoba is very hard!! But on the good side it polishes up to a very nice sheen just with super fine sandpaper. When working it use fresh sandpaper and start with heavier grits then you would normally do.

The Jotoba looks and feels so nice that I will definitely use it again.

17. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    That Tele looks awesome!! The color of the pickguard is important to the look of the guitar. But it's best when it compliments the color of the guitar itself. In your case the cream looks great!

If you are unahppy with aspects of your build, why not redo the stuff that bothers you? It'll move that guitar up in your own eyes and most likely get you playing it more. What could be better then that?

18. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Hey Rex, yes understated is exactly the look I was going for!!!

It could be a guitar in that movie.... now to bust out the song and give i a try.

Thanks so much!

I appreciate your comment. Thanks.

The 70's vibe might be more disco and funk then rock... but I could see that!

Thank you.

The guitar sounds great, but I'm going to have a "real" guitar player test it out soon.

Yes, for some reason the gold on the walnut goes really well. Can't wait to see your finished guitar!

Thank you very much Don!

awasson likes this.

19. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

20. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Thanks Marty@

I added the link in post #15

You are a superstar for sharing that method here on TDPRI. I truly appreciate it and you!

guitarbuilder likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.