Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The urge to disassemble....

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Bones, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Ever since I was a kid, I have always taken my toys apart and put them back together it was an irresistible urge and it still carries on to this day.

Like right now for instance, I'm resisting the temptation to remove the chassis from my Quad reverb, tomorrow will be the one week mark and I can't believe that I have lasted this long.

There's absolutely no reason to take the chassis out, the amp seems to be running perfectly and I can't imagine that I would see anything in there that I would recognize as a problem and even if I did, I'm not much of an amp repair man. If it needed a 3 prong cord, I could do that or if some solder joint was broken, I could fix it. But i don't know how to test plate voltages and all that, so I know I should just leave well enough alone, but the curiosity is killing me. :(

My plan is at some point to bring the chassis to an amp tech and have it gone over while I repair some structural issues with the cabinet and recover it, I just don't know if I can wait that long.

Anyone else a chronic disassembler?

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Chronic, no, disassembler, yes.
    You gotta take stuff apart to see how it works.
    You also gotta take it apart to fix it.
    My Dad fixed electronics, including guitar amps.
    He taught me how to do minor repairs on my Fender amps, in case I had to.
    He taught me how to do it safely.
    Anyways, you probably know where the filter caps are, and that they can be dangerous/deadly.
    You may discover repair, mods, and the odd deceased creature in the chassis.
    Be careful, and happy exploring!

Piggy Stu likes this.

3. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Tweaker deluxe here, got it from my Dad I'm told. I like to know how things work. I seriously enjoy working on guitars far more than playing them. Project guitars get my juices flowing.

4. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Odd deceased creatures? I gotta crack this thing open :)

5. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Oh yeah, guitars, the first thing I do is take them apart when I get them home, because I know what I'm doing. Amps, not so much.

6. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    I always have leftover parts when I reassemble anything .

WineCaster and Bones like this.

7. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Kent, OH

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I've seen roaches, rodents, moths and spiders.
    The rat was on the reverb tank.
    Thankfully, not in it.
    He was long, long gone.
    Charming.

9. Andy B

Andy B Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Colorado
    Always. Not being able to take apart German cameras got me started on what became a 35 year career as a camera repair tech. I learned the basics of electronics from my father as a kid & took that into amp repair a long time ago. My wife says that it is only a matter of time until I take whatever I buy apart.

10. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    when I was a kid, my neighbor and I discovered a console fold-away sewing machine in his basement. If we lay on our backs with a flashlight we could see all the moving parts. It was beautiful - so we took everything apart... and there was a whole lot of parts!

a few weeks later, my friends dad carried the heavy machine up the stairs into the house so Mom could use it. She opened up the top and screamed!

Piggy Stu likes this.

11. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    I can take apart the remote control
    And I can almost put it back together

12. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    Count me In :) my parents hated me for that :p

still today i take apart things salvage parts, stuff that come in handy, mostly electrical stuff, i recently repaired a a PT in a rack unit, nothing big, just a cap, but for some reasons I'm really afraid to take apart my SF Twin to look under the hood, it's somewhat different for me with this amp, i'll be probably able to do so but i don't dare to :)

13. dan40

dan40 Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2015
    Richmond Va
    Same here! My parents decided not to scold me whenever I had to take something apart as a child. It paid off because I learned how to fix just about anything that I got my hands on. Friends are constantly bringing me their automobiles, lawnmowers weedeaters and whatever to fix for them. It wasn't until ten years ago that I got bit by the amp bug and decided to do some reading on basic electronics and tube circuits which got me started on building and repairing guitar amps.

14. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    "...Urge to disassemble..." sounds like a euphemism describing a destructive child (ha,ha).

Asmith likes this.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a brother who, as a boy, loved to disassemble things.

But not put them back together. :confused:

16. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Be a great punk-a-billy band name.

Andy B likes this.

17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I have a dis-assembly job sitting here...picked it up last week. It is a Baldwin Md. 52 Orgasonic organ.
    There are 25 Sylvania Long Black plate 12Ax7’s, 35 12AU7’s, 2 x 6L6’s, a 5U4, a huge PT, an OT, and two ribbed cone Rola Alnico 12” speaker’s. I would not tear it apart if it were worth the time needed to fix it.....or if it were worth enough to justify the time to fix it. Pity......but those are the one. The pieces are worth more than the sum.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.