Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Twanger Central Weekly Backing Track - Week # 52

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Aug 22, 2016.

1. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Indeed, that´s the first track I played without a plek completely.

2. Tele Wogan

Tele Wogan TDPRI Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Germany

3. Tele Wogan

Tele Wogan TDPRI Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Germany
    Did write an intro to go with that link but seems to have disappeared! Anyhow been lurking for a while, have no DAW and so humbly am putting up a very poor quality first post. Hope to do this a bit more regularly and sort out a proper way to record not in an iPhone in the future... Nice to meet you all :)

4. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    I hope you can upgrade to a better source. Your playing sounds quite good! I enjoyed it. Welcome!

5. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Nice to meet you too! Nicely played TW and welcome.Quite a good blues interpretation you've done here.

6. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Tele-Holic

Jul 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    been a while
    I found 10 minutes to get this one done

one take, mistakes free of charge
    straight into the computer, no effects etc

7. Bullfweet

Bullfweet TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Central Florida
    @udoering I have to say, I agree too...love the octaves...they just fit... the smooth, clean playing, lends to a very layed back enjoyable listen...no pressure, just music. Matilda's Tune...a fine name :)

You need to burn some of these to a CD, along with Matilda's Tune for your granddaughter. I'm sure she would get a big smile listening to grandpa laying down some sweet guitar work :)
    Mike C.

8. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Tele Wogan, willkommen im Club! Even if the sound quality of your track was not top notch, it was easy to hear that you played a rather good version! If you wanna start the recording, there are many ways to do so, from low to high budget.

Paul, a sweet clean version of that track. You found a nice hook line in your improvisation!

9. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Hey Paul! It's been awhile. Nice version ,I enjoyed the relax and laid back playing.

10. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2014
    London, UK
    Sorry it took me a while to respond to this. I really like the tone you have here, and I agree with everyone else that your double stops make for a very pretty melody. It does sound like Knopfler! Very nice touch. I like the dreamy sound it gives to the back cycle bit (I dunno, I just mean the interesting chord changes).

Really lovely take and worth the wait, thank you.

11. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2014
    London, UK
    @Tele Wogan Ah, the lonely bluesman wails his tragic story from out of the darkness. I like the chunky sounding palm mutes you do quite early on, if your setup were better I'm sure I would feel the bass go through me on those :) A nice stinging tone you've selected too. The phrasing around 1:53 or so is cool, then more palm mutes, mmm. I think you have a nice vibrato as well, but it's hard to hear sometimes ;) Thanks for posting!

@pauljo1963 I was sad you didn't use the greatest guitar tone of all time on this one. Everyone else: see pauljo's below track at 2:35 for what I mean. More lovely double stops, I need to get in on this. Some very tasteful and soulful blues playing here, I think the simple tone you used is hard to hide behind, and that's ok because you have nothing to hide :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Mjark likes this.

12. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    You made it all the way across the border! I love your vibrato. It stings!

alainvey likes this.

13. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    That was very expressive playing. The intro was cool as well as the coda.

14. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    @Mellencaster - the delay you used and languid lines adds to the melancholy inherent in the changes. Very nice.

@tooloud - that was great when you let loose towards the end. You found the last note!

@Bullfweet - What a pretty melody, well executed as well.

@udoering - Ullrich, what a beautiful start for Matilda! As usual you took a different path than the rest of us. I love your cleanish tone and double stops.

@Tele Wogan - Welcome! You'll have fun here whatever you use to record. A great first submission.

Bullfweet and alainvey like this.

15. Tele Wogan

Tele Wogan TDPRI Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Germany

All thanks for your kind words and encouragement. Ive was inspired enough to get myself an Irig as a starting point and have had a second go at this just now. This is far from perfect as I was as focussed on working out how to use this and garageband/soundcloud as I was on what I was actually playing. it takes a bit of getting used to as using a digital source has a very different feel to the valve amp I am used too - its a lot more unforgiving IMO. SO you can certainly hear things a lot better than the earlier version - although that might not be a good thing ;)

but if this thing works and if this link actually results in some music coming out then I'll try and do this on a more regular basis.

thanks, Martyn

alainvey, NWinther and Mellencaster like this.

16. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Martyn welcome to the digital world of music , your second take was very expressive and dynamically played.The chromatic lines was a nice touch in the mix.Looking forward hearing more from you .:)

17. Tele Wogan

Tele Wogan TDPRI Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Germany
    Thanks, and relieved to know that the link works !! Great playing on show this week from everyone's posts that I've listened to

18. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2014
    London, UK
    @Tele Wogan Tele forum membership can be hazardous to the health of your wallet.

Needs more sweep picking.

Just kidding, that was fantastic: I really enjoyed that take. The lines at the start (though it was all great) were especially refined and melodic. Lovely phrasing and emphasis on show. I can also hear you loud and clear, and your vibrato is confirmed good :D

19. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Beeing no Apple user I am not really sure what an iRig is and what it does, but recording your valve amp isn´t a big thing. Garageband is sufficient, and all you need is a 1-2 channel usb interface and a microphone; a SM57-clone will do (of course, you can spend a lot money on this if you wish :)). For my tracks I (mostly) use a Mesa Cabclone, which has the advantage that you can record completely noiseless.

20. Tele Wogan

Tele Wogan TDPRI Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Germany
    I can see this spiralling into yet another way to spend cash !!! :)

Will give it a few goes with the digital version and then look at the recording options too. Might get some opinions before I splurge though...

Thanks all. Alainvey - I must admit to being guilty of a sweep picking, habit. I reckon might set myself a challenge of a non sweep picked take one week ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.