Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Twanger Central Weekly Backing Track - Week #16

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Fine with me. B major works but it feels to me like the tonal center is F# Mixolydian. E is the 4th in the key of B and there is no E in F# minor but if you flat the 7th degree there it is. (mixolydian)

2. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I think you're right the B major works but it's not quite right to my ears

3. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Good catch Mark ,the F# fits perfect.

4. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Sometimes I get lucky.

5. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    That's some lucky guess ;)

6. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Tele-Holic

Jul 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    I think this is a good choice, something to construct a "song" around

as for flattened notes.......

I ain't playing a flattened 5th , that's the Devils music

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    fifths get flattened all too quickly over the holidays!

Stay safe out there and have a Merry Christmas, y'all!

8. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    Well, here I am a couple weeks later. I finished the semester (grading/flunking kids :() a couple weeks ago, and thought I had a window, but the holidays and folks/family overtook me. Had an empty house for a few hours today so tried to pick up again. But, boy, are my fingers sore. I'm going to try and get to what I see are now 2 more posted already if I can.

Scale Practice

Started to listen (quickly) to some of the others. It must be the BT, or maybe I've just been away too long, but it seems like this one seemed to steer a lot of folks in similar directions. Lots of good stuff as always, and some new "faces" I have to try and learn. (My brain is a sieve anymore, so no promises there...)

9. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Welcome back Keith .Excellent job on the acoustic playing and the electric added a another gear to your track .Well done!

10. still_fiddlin

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    Got the tree plucked and out, pine needles vacuumed (and vacuumed, and ...), so grabbed some time before wife finds the next job and listened to these tracks. Apologies for dredging up the past, and trying to get names straight, and sorry if I missed anyone or got it wrong!
    • Mjark (Mark): I liked the double tracking - was it an overdub in harmony (from tag, or was that the guitar model?) or effect? More nice spacey stuff :). You made that difficult ending sound good.
    • Mellencaster (Mike): I really like the recorded tone you’re getting, and the use of the repeated hook in the B part (or it seems like it) works well to make it a “piece” for me (1st one). Second tone had a great snarl, but I (too) lean slightly to the first rendition.
    • pauljo1963 (Paul): The opening notes could use some EQ or level automation to my ear - just a tiny bit jarring. I really liked how you worked up to those double stops from about 1:45-2:00.
    • HoodieMcFoodie (Phil): One of the most “mainstream” things I’ve ever heard you do! ;) I thought it all worked well. Nice ending.
    • Raimonds: I wish I could do those fast riffs - sounds great.
    • udoering (Ulrich): I really liked the opening riff. I was wondering what it would sound like a bit lest modulated, i.e., a little less effects. Gets a bit busy before/after 2m mark. I like the parts, but, for me, they’re working against each other in a few places.
    • teletimetx (Bill): the give and take of parts shows a lot of promise, and then the semi-duet is nice - all in the first minute!

11. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Sounds great. The acoustic is recorded beautifully. Oh...just two guitars.

12. still_fiddlin

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    I tracked both the acoustic and electric twice. There's a pretty low rhythm acoustic on the right, then the more pickin' stuff you hear mostly at the beginning. Similar, rhythm electric in the left (which, in retrospect, I should have leveled down at some point) and the lead in the right. But, only 2 guitars :) Oh - you're talking about your track? :confused:

13. Mjark

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Yes.

14. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Keith, I appreciate your track very much. Well played and recorded. To my own surprise, I found the opening melody (not the chords) played by the acoustic sounds indeed a little like scale exercise, whereas when the electric guitar plays the same notes later it sounds more organically (hope that makes sense). Anyhow, I found myself moving rhythmically when listening :)!

Thank you for taking time to listen and comment to may track. As stated above anywhere, I first recorded the tremolo-guitar as background to the verses and the double-stops for the chorus. I then was in a conflict, as the double-stops initially should be more in the background, but then I liked that progression too much and wanted it to be heard more prominent. So, I think, this track would have required more time and work and even a rest between recording and finishing, which I didn´t. So you´re right, I think.

15. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Maryland

16. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    You surprised me with this, exspecting your hard rock tone. The slightly modulated clean tone just sounds sweet, and your playing seems quite relaxed. Something like a peaceful sunday afternoon :)-

17. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Maryland
    Thank You Ullrich. I plugged in my Joe Strummer Tele that I made and used an Andy Summers setting and tried to find some melodic grooves.

18. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Joe - Great job on this one I like what you use for the tone, it changed your style of your playing in a another capacity .

19. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Maryland
    Thank You Mike. Really working on trying to expand my styles or playing or whatever one might call it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.