Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Twanger Central Weekly Backing Track - Week #148

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Here's this week track, a slow blues jazz.Enjoy!

Download to your DAW or portable digital recorder and go for it.

2. Bullfweet

Bullfweet Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2016
    Central Florida
    Thank you for the track, Mellencaster !!!

Whoa !!! I'm first ??? Just some straight forward Jazz Blues picking. Had to use my Epi LP again. I need strings on all my Fenders, and I've been lazy lately. Please forgive...

Hope you like it,
    Mike C.

Deneb, teletimetx, NWinther and 5 others like this.

3. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    It´s Telly time again! One shot recording, so small warts included.

4. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Yes I do! Fine lines and you did the changes between major and minor spot on.

Bullfweet likes this.

5. Raimonds

Raimonds Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2014
    Latvia

6. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    @Bullfweet Indeed you're the first and a tough act to follow :) Lovely track Mike.

@udoering Lovely descending lines and a sweet bite on your tone.Lovely and jazzy too!

@Raimonds Lovely tone and majestic lines.Another lovely jazz track!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Bullfweet likes this.

7. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    Totally bluffing here. This is the second time I've tried to play Jazz since the last time the weekly backing was Jazz. I broke a string half way through and I left that bit in 'cos I thought it was quite funny - you will notice it! I did change it before I continued though. I Played this on my battered old Aria semi that I bought in 1982 and did well over 1000 gigs with in the '80s

8. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    @Raimonds : jazz seems to fit you a lot more than country; I remember you moaning about limited scale knowledge. Either you improved in theory very much, or you used your knowledge extremely skilled. Very nice title!
    @Mellencaster : great tone, sensual playing! One of your best titles, I think.

Mellencaster and Raimonds like this.

9. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    How can one "bluff" playing a jazzy blues? I don´t know, I think if it sounds like jazz, it must be jazz. Anyhow, you played a nice jazzy blues here, and yes, it was a good idea to let the string breaking in. Was that laughter a spontnious reaction, incidentally recorded?

10. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    @Bullfweet - Lovely Mike - You know what you're doing - not bluffing. Nice tone, Nice playing too.
    @udoering - Nice Tele tone and good use of light & shade.
    @Raimonds - some great licks and you even managed to put a bit of country in.
    @Mellencaster - Like the mellow tone. Tone control backed off? Tasteful approach and some good melodies.

Mellencaster and Bullfweet like this.

11. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    Well, it's bluffing because playing diatonically in the pentatonic doesn't completely work and some sort of adherence to the chord sequence is required. However, I didn't know what the chord sequence was and was too lazy to work it out so I was just going by ear and hope - rather than making any informed choice based on scales or arpeggios that work with the changes like Jazzers normally do. I've watched them following the chord chart as they solo.

I did burst out laughing when it broke but the amp mic didn't pick it up so I had to re-enact it. The break is completely as it happened though.

Bullfweet likes this.

12. Bullfweet

Bullfweet Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2016
    Central Florida
    @udoering I thought your take was beautifully executed...I love the clean Tele tone. Warts ??? It’s very nice and soothing to me :cool:

@Raimonds Ahhh...very soulfully done. You fit perfectly in the mix, and it seems to suit you...nice riffin :)

@Mellencaster Perfect tone and playing...very, very sweet, all the way around !!! Makes me think of a smokey bar, dark, band set up in a corner, cigars and drinks all around...girls with 30’s hairdo’s.. all stuff Jazz and Blooze :cool:

@estreet Faking it ??? I don’t think so... It’s beautifully expressed and played...I loved the octaves and fine phrasing throughout !!! Got a kick out of the “laugh”...it adds “human” to the mix. Something you would surly hear in a setting with Jazz & Blues..background noise. Glad you went back and put it in !!! Loved your old Aria tone too, perfect for this.. :D

@Mjark That was beautiful !!! I loved the smooth tone and great runs...really nice !!!

@fendrguitplayr Very sweet !!! Some really nice riffage and phrasing too. It tells a nice little story...some cool obscure runs too... I dig it :cool:

Mike C :)

udoering and Mellencaster like this.

13. Bullfweet

Bullfweet Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2016
    Central Florida
    Thank you kindly for the nice words, Mike !!! I was warmed up after doing #147..which I made a mess of. So this one was much more relaxed for me, and I could play more of what was in my head..if that makes sense ?

Mike C. :)

Mellencaster likes this.

14. Bullfweet

Bullfweet Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2016
    Central Florida
    Thank you Ullrich, makes me feel good !!! Major, Minor ???...ahhh..one guy wears a uniform, the other guy wears coveralls and works in a tunnel. Naw...i’m not changing suits at all..same shorts and tee shirt all the way through the track, beginning to end... (just kidding here)
    Thank you kindly, Sir !! :)

15. Bullfweet

Bullfweet Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2016
    Central Florida
    Thank you, Carl !!! Naw...I don’t really know what I’m doing. The track seemed familiar to me from way back...I got lucky when I was 17yrs old back in the late 60's. I played Bass with a 6pc Jazz group (drums,bass,sax,guitar...+2 girl front singers. We played at the Officers Club at Patrick AFB. :)
    Thank you, Sir !!! You do *know* what you’re doing.. :)

Mike C.

estreet likes this.

16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD

NWinther, udoering, Bullfweet and 2 others like this.

17. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    @Bullfweet Nice, smooth riffage and tone.
    @udoering Good Tele tone and playing throughout.
    @Raimonds Soulful and cool.
    @Mellencaster Nice tone and riffs...heartfelt playing.
    @estreet Good dynamics and chuckle (cool).
    @Mjark Warm tone works well here and nice lines throughout.

In listening I tried to guess who went direct vs mic'd amp - just estreet's laugh made me think everyone else went direct?

Bullfweet and Mellencaster like this.

18. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Gentlemen ,I know we're not professional jazz guitarist but you've all could've fool me.

estreet No faking could be heard on this track ,only just a seasoned musician playing a lovely jazz tune .The string breakage did add some humour but only because of your laugh was contagious after it broke.:D For my tone, yes I did roll my tone all the way down.
    Mjark Melodic blues , soulful playing and sweet jazz tone.Nice!
    fendrguitplayr Lovely melody and the right amount modulation for a jazz tone.Sweet take!

Bullfweet and fendrguitplayr like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.