Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Twanger Central Weekly Backing Track - Week #108

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    NY
    You are too cool Mike. Thank you ;)

Mellencaster likes this.

2. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    I guess it is.

I usually plug my pedalboard into a Marshall tube amp, this time I plugged it with the same settings into my old Fender solid state amp via a cheap Fender emulation pedal (Harley Benton (Joyo in the US) American Sound).

(Played with the very hot bridge humbucker)

3. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    @NWinther : it´s the energetic, emotional playing again that I like. Wished you would have played more :)! At some places, I heard too much bass; maybe you should have cut out the bass of the guitar track?

@Mjark : yes, similar idea! Nice melodic playing with some really fine lines (2:24, 3:18 for example).

@estreet : well done, man! Love the harmonized guitar at 1:33 and the country-style playing on the low string.

@JCL50 : even without tubes, you dialed in a very appropriate sound; I like how it tends to go into feedback. And I like your playing on this very much.

@Alan L Cole : I can understand why you didn´t hear the "mismatch" of scales; the reason is, that your playing fits mostly quite well, maybe because you also used major notes for this.

@Mellencaster : a lovely track! You played your guitar like a singer would sing to that track, so vocal-like.

@all: thank you for listening and commenting! Regarding my health, the status is: no major issues were found with the cardiac catherization, no coronary stent had to be placed. The stenosis of the subclavia is a soft one (thrombus), and they will wait some weeks if it crumbles away by itself respectively the pills I am taking now. All in all, the results were better than I exspected them to be! Now I can find out how to change my lifestyle.

4. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    @Mellencaster Nicely played. Very well phrased with breathing times. to me, you played it like a saxo player would do (this is a compliment). Great tone and cool kind of laid back attitude.

@Alan L Cole I didn't say it but I love the tone and attitude on your track.

Mellencaster and Alan L Cole like this.

5. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    NY
    Thank you Ullrich for the comment and awesome news on your health!

6. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    It's an interesting subject. A chord sequence like this forces you right into the major scale with very few options and it's very noticeable that many of our tracks are more similar in tonality on this one than they would usually be. But rock/blues/rock n roll all have lots of examples where the line between major and minor is quite blurry. When playing a Chuck Berry type of solo you can switch between major and minor third licks without it raising an eyebrow at all whereas it can sound dreadful in other situations. Forcing the minor pentatonic over a definitively major sequence can have a real 'retro' effect as it instantly sounds very '60s and I have done it deliberately sometimes for just that reason in my own music like this one:

This only works when there's no relative minors in the chord sequence though because as soon as there is the clash become pretty excruciating.

When I started playing many years ago and knew almost nothing about music we used to call going back three frets and playing the pentatonic scale there 'playing the happy notes'! Of course what you are actually doing is switching to the pentatonic major instead of the Minor and you can hear players like BB King and Clapton do this quite frequently in otherwise minor pentatonic dominated solos. One famous use of it is when Paul Kossof does it on the triplet bit of the solo in 'Alright Now'. When a blues is in a definitive minor key (i.e.: the minor third of the tonic chord is present) like 'Black Magic Woman' say - then you cannot do this though, it would sound hideous.

In a lot of rock music the defining thirds of the chords are not played - as in the 'Chuck Berry riff' or the classic 1st and 5th only 'Power Chord' or '5 Chord' - however they are sometimes implied by what else is going on. Pete Townsend works with a whole palette of full six-string chords that have no third, for example 'E' as O79900, which sounds fantastic when whacked and left to ring at full volume!

Then again sometimes what is effectively a minor third is called a sharpened second and it would require someone with more theory knowledge than me to explain the rules around that.

Rock Music is supposed to break the rules I guess and sometimes it sounds great. I always loved Captain Beefheart's 'Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles'. I've never worked it out but on listening it seems to walk all over the boundaries of major & minor in quite a beautiful way.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    NWinther, Alan L Cole, Mjark and 4 others like this.

7. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2014
    London, UK
    Sorry for my absence, been on hols.

Here's an attempt:

Alan L Cole, NWinther, JCL50 and 4 others like this.

8. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    alainvey Well ,you've done it again!:cool: Very good phrasing , love your tone and all out smoking rock track.

alainvey likes this.

9. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    You got your wish twice over! Good stuff.

10. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Very good stuff, especially the second half (you are playing more melodic there)!

11. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Holic

Jul 16, 2007
    Denmark Solbjerg.
    Ah missing persons are back :D
    Great takes love them!!
    Hmm I did actually record two tracks....
    Here is the version with more leadstuff...

12. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    @alainvey great "Ibanez-and-long-hair" sound :), great playing, nice phrasing.

@NWinther good tone, nice playing I like this one much better

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

13. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Like JC said, I like this one better, too. And, as mentioned before, a little less bass on the guitar track would maybe sound better.

14. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Holic

Jul 16, 2007
    Denmark Solbjerg.
    Thanks....well I don't like it much myself but well....
    Dunno it is just fat here, both in the headphones and on the speakers.

15. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    NY
    Awesome Alainvey! Great dynamics and technique in your soloing. Sweet melodic moments - all make for a smookin' track!

16. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    NY
    Another awesome track Niels. I think you took more control of the track with this version and laid down some blistering riffage!

17. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Holic

Jul 16, 2007
    Denmark Solbjerg.
    Hehe well I did overplay in my head, had this been in my old band they would have told me to keep it down :D
    So the first is more how I would have played it normally within a band, and I would have turned it even more down actually.
    But since these are jams I can see why the latter is more within the spirit of things.

Most of my old jobs, all I did was playing rhythm, melodylines, hooks, and synchron stuff, never played a solo in one of the bands.
    Always left that to the other guy, loved being in the back with the bass player on that gig.
    So sometimes it is like crossing an unseen line doing these jams :D

On the other hand here at home I play and record all kinds of funny and strange stuff....
    So these jams are huge amounts of fun!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

18. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    NY
    The jam as a free flow or expression and sharing of spontanious musical ideas!

NWinther likes this.

19. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    NWinther Nicely crafted lines Niels , I like this more too!

NWinther likes this.

20. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    My turn. One take - not the first tho' :) Mistakes included for free.

udoering, Mjark, Mellencaster and 3 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.