Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Twanger Central Weekly Backing Track - Week #107

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    JCL50 I like your old school approach very much!The slight gnarly tone with the progressive build up were very nice!

2. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    @Mellencaster Nice feeling and tone. Funny stereo "2 guitars" effect

@NWinther a personal version, nice tone and playing. I prefer your playing on the cleaner parts.

@udoering Very good sounding, great note choice

3. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Alan L Cole Oh my! I didn't mean to invoke some personal sorrow memories with this track but you sure did translated it to your playing very well. Very dynamically played quite nicely Alan and a sweet version at that too!

4. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Ha! My offset track delay , I had a feeling someone would mention it .I noticed after my track was up :)

5. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    @Alan L Cole good blues playing, and that wild tone. Awesome.

6. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    Thank you Mike but no sorrow, but rather Peter Green's blues guitar rawness that touched and influenced me deeply in my youth.

Mellencaster likes this.

7. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    Awesome Mike! Love that tone and delay. Great delivery. Your version pays tribute to Carlos nicely while being your own with touches on some of Mr. Green's blues flavor for me. Nice!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Mellencaster likes this.

8. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    Your cool style and attack very evident here Niels - you made it your own in the shadow of Mr. Santa while keeping it's blues base fresh. Nice II.

9. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    You gotta love guitarist and Ullrich's spirit. Way to play through your challenges Ullrich. Beautiful riffin', awesome tone and cool nods to Carlos. Well done and Nice III!

udoering likes this.

10. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    Old skool and smookin! Great nods to Carlos while keeping it your own and awesome guitar tone. This is one of my favorites from you JCL50. I think you tore it up! Nice IV!

11. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Your guitar sound is quite near to C.S.; chosen notes also. Love that run just before 1:00; but it´s good playing throughout!

I have to admit that often I am an ignorant man. Of course, I have heard the name Peter Green and have a notion who he is, I even have a CD (Splinter Group), but in the end I don´t know him as a guitarist. So I can´t judge if you played like him; but I can say that you sound different from the other tracks, and I like this one, especially the "eruptive" licks!

12. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Thank very much! I am feeling honored!

13. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I watched a few videos of Peter Green and Santana version . I was unaware of the clash between the two version with the listeners . Peter does capture the raw blues essence in his version with soul. One thing I'm sure of is that his influence is deep rooted in your playing style.

14. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Ullrich I'm sorry to hear of the health issues you are experiencing at the moment. I truly wish you a full recovery my friend. Pay heed to the doctors advice.

15. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    Peter Green wrote "Black Magic Woman" Mike and was the founder of Fleetwood Mac, which started out as a blues band. Under Peter Green, Fleetwood Mac outsold the Beatles and the Rolling Stones combined. He also wrote the beautiful "Albatros". Although suffering from drug and mental health issue, Peter Green is considered to have been one of the greatest blues guitarist ever, and is still alive today.

Mellencaster likes this.

16. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    It's an amazing story. I love Santana and his version of "Black Magic Woman". There is no clash for me, just a recognition of and an homage to two great guitarist and their place in music history. It was so cool that you provided the opportunity to relive some of this with the backer you provided Mike! Thank you...ALC

Mellencaster likes this.

17. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I'm aware of Peter Green musical background and the original author to Black Magic Woman but I never'd dwell down that rabbit hole about each other version before until now , I'm glad I did.

Alan L Cole likes this.

18. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    I never try to copy another guitarist Ullrich but the influences do seep in. I responded to Mike's comments, not having seen yours first. Peter Green's is an important and often overlooked if not know story. I hope you are well Ullrich and wish you a full recovery.

19. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Alan, I wouldn´t have thought that you try to copy another guitarist; as long as you are around here, you play your own style. But you sound a little different on this track (just a feeling, not verified by targeted comparisons), and now that I heard the Peter-Green-version I would say, yes, you sound a little more like him than you usually do (those eruptive sequences for example and more breaks in your playing). Like said before, just an impression.

Alan L Cole likes this.

20. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    You are always astute Ullrich. One reason I don't try to copy other guitarist is because I can't and I have always strived to develop my own voice, which I feel is very important. I did give Peter's version a quick listen to set the vibe of my attempt. I don't mind borrowing pieces from others though. A little Jimi, Peter, Carlos, SRV, Bloomfield on and on :cool: - stir it up and try to make something of my own.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.