Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Twanger Central Weekly Backing Track - Week #106

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    NY
    Philosophically I'm a 'the more the merrier" kind of guy with guitars and guitar tracks Mark, but I usually limit myself to one or two tracks.

2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    It depends. If you listen I doubt you can tell there are 5.

3. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Your guitar tone is unexspected for that kind of track, but it´s beautiful and sounds really good together with the bt. I often accord with Alan, but for me the highlights of your track is the chord-, double stop- and bending- work! These parts sound so relaxed and yet powerful at the same time, I wouldn´t need anything else.

Thank you for your critique, I will have a re-listen.

4. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    @udoering re-listening to your take and to be more specific : I like your playing throughout the track. Tone-wise The begining is OK but from 2'20 on, I think the 2 guitars plus the delay interfere with each other, and in the same part, the swell effect in the right channel is not to my taste.

Just my taste. and I've discovered country playing recently, say a few years (by listening to Brad Paisley, Jerry Reed, Cake and Kenny Vaughan on youtube), maybe I'm lacking country music background to appreciate.

5. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    It is quite often that, when hearing a track after a while again, I am not satisfied with it any more at different degrees. Regarding this track, I have to say you are right regarding the interference of the two guitars plus delay. I also couldn´t adjust the swell effect to work like an experienced steel player, or maybe I just don´t use it often enough. So, constructive critique is always welcome.

6. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I got some catching up to do! I'll be back as soon as I can:)

7. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD

8. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    I should've delete this and kept the original track. not mixed well with an after thought add on track .

9. estreet

estreet Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Southern UK
    Thought I'd do this on the Bass VI. Front and rear pickups together on the tune then that honky sound they do on the back pickup alone for the first solo - second solo is my Jaguar as they don't normally get much use for country! This is so laid back I was getting sleepy whilst I was playing it - hence the title. Using the DI on my new DV Mark GH250 Amp for this.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017

10. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    NY
    A little hint of "Spanish Harlem" sprinkled throughout and very cool Mike. Nice tone and some blues fused graceful and swaying riffin'. Sweet!

Mellencaster likes this.

11. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    NY
    Nice tone on the Bass VI Carl and the Jag sounds great. Cool call-and-response sections as well. Some nice melodic playing.

12. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    @Mellencaster to me, all your tracks have a cinematic side, with this one, I have pictures of a mexican wedding party. Well played.

@estreet just excellent. I really dig the baritone sound.

Mellencaster likes this.

13. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    @Mjark Very nice country blues and melodic .There was a few lines that were really spot on and catchy sounding.

@Alan L Cole A tone that jumps right out with authority .Blues is in your blood but you still managed to worked this track for some sweet country blues playing.

@udoering Pure Country sound and vibe. I don't know how you manage theses multi-tracks in a short period time but they always do sound lovely .

@jklotz Most fitting playing style for this track .Lovely!

@JCL50 Very nice fat country tone . Country vibe from start to end and liked the second guitar track , very nice!

By the way what's up with you Europeans playing country so well?:cool::)

@estreet You had me just with the tremolo but I must say it was very enjoyable version to listen to overall with the baritone and the guitar mix!

Alan L Cole likes this.

14. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    NY
    I have probably caused enough "inadvertent" angst previously but I wanted to add (then I'll be quiet:oops:)

I have listened to the following tracks again:

@Mjark - Your right, I can't tell there are 5 guitar tracks or where they start or end - nice job mixing.

@udoering - still don't hear anything amiss but I tend to look at the painting and not the brush strokes unless something grabs my attention, good or bad.

@JCL50 - you are right to be proud of your track. As I pointed out, your guitar tone and blues riffin' are awesome. I think some separation via panning might have addressed what I flagged as might not have been needed, the 2nd guitar in the dueling guitars section starting at 2:33, which I pointed out was still very cool. A minor critique and not necessarily an accurate one.

Great music by all - I will now be quiet ;)

15. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    That track made me wish I could play pedal steele.

16. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    Don't worry my friend, there's no problem with me ;).
    I appreciate all your kind words as well as your critique, and after re-listening to my track, I agree there's something wrong with the 2nd guitar.
    I had recording a first take, then a second take to choose which one i prefer : I prefered the first take but was kind of proud of that part of the second take, so I decided to keep this part as 2nd guitar but it doesn't quite work as I first thought it would. It's not a big deal :).

Alan L Cole likes this.

17. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Always some kind of rollercoaster.

Let’s say you’re in some kind of dive bar/barbecue place, after midnight and maybe seven, eight people left in the place. Your drummer didn’t make the gig again, so there’s a sub in his place – but hey, he’s not half bad and he & piano player seem to be knocking out some 1, 4, 5 thing without complaining.

Your long time 12-year gigging band fell apart three years ago and you’ve been doing hard time in a house band, playing the same old same old, but hey, it’s a gig. One of the folks left in the house bought you a shot of Old Crow and it’s just you and a telecaster and every punk ass country bar gig, quinceneara and ice house/flop house gig is just ringing in your ears, like the old Gibson amp you’re playing cause you can’t afford to fix your heavy iron Fender.

Then some drunk redneck shows up talking about a hurricane.

The two main interstate highways in Houston are I-45 and I-10. It's been a mess, but things are getting better. I was able to ride it out easy in Austin, but there's a whole lot of folks with nothing but trouble left. Anyway, here's my version:

NWinther, udoering, jklotz and 3 others like this.

18. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    @teletimetx It's good to hear you're safe Bill! I'm glad Hurricane Harvey hasn't dampen your playing at all.It sounds just like what you've describe , playing in some dingy bar to people having a pint and enjoying your music!Nicely done!

teletimetx likes this.

19. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    NY
    :)

20. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Meister

May 23, 2017
    NY
    I'd say your track is great Bill, very authentic and I don't think the poetry of your track's accompanying text is influencing my assessment and yes, there is poetry in them there words. Great bones, tone and sentiment in your playing. Awesome!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    teletimetx likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.