Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

The Twanger Central Weekly Backing Track - Week #105

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mellencaster, Aug 25, 2017.

1. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany

2. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    As you can hear, me neither! And, you also sound very southern! Like Alan said, sensitive playing together with the backing track; lovely.

3. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    Sweet Southern Soloing Ullrich. You've created a guitar tour de force with some cool backing guitar work. Your track builds nicely to a powerhouse. Very cool!

4. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    Cool intro and great production Carl. Nice melodic element and another track with some southern rock vibe. Great clean pickin'. This is a nicely done track!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017

5. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    @udoering like you said, it sound southern, and at the same time, it has a happy feeling in it. I love that. Great playing, tone and mix. A really good moment.

@estreet Nice surf sound and approach. the intro chord gives the mood. the few near bridge picked low notes around 1:50 are perfect in the surf spirit. nicely done.

6. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    Good ear Ullrich. I doubled the backer track with a fraction of delay to add depth to the gun fire, shell casings hitting the floor and to the drum track - that was independent of my guitar track though. That was all PRE-CBS Fender Jaguar fangs all the way :)

7. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Sorry I did not comment last night , I don't mix social media with drinking :)

I normally don't drink alcohol very often but I had a few last night and did this , to my surprise this morning it wasn't bad as I thought it would be :D.It still has my standard clams and warts.I also got to try my first lead on my 1991 Samick Les Paul Custom

8. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    @JCL50 Sweet take ,nice balance of melodic to surf rock. Nice mix of the double track ,nicely done!

@Mjark I like the videos , I get to see your gear in action. Very melodic and tone full . Allman Brothers vibe , you have a good feel for this track and expressed it well!

@udoering Sweet track mix!Sounds great and a lovely southern vibe you've played for us. Studio quality mixing , love it.

@estreet Lovely surf tones! Such a sweet track that you played , love it from start to end.

Alan L Cole likes this.

9. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    What a nice opening! Your´s seems to be the most surf-like track up to now; beautiful theme and improvisation in between. Good work!

10. udoering

Mar 31, 2013
    near Cologne, Germany
    Cheers, Mike! A lovely, southern-sounding improvisation. Love how you handled the break and then opening up!

Thanks everyone for listening an commenting!

Mellencaster likes this.

11. Mellencaster

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada

12. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    As Ullrich pointed out, cool southern rock vibe Mike. I love that intro and your tone here is boss! I'm surprised by the number of southern rock takes on this track - I didn't get that vibe at all when listening to the backer. Thought for sure this would have been a surf city fest. Let me know what you were drinking so I can try that as well as the results are great!!!

Mellencaster likes this.

13. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    I to like the videos that accompany tracks. They add another element to the music. You can always not look if distracting and in the case of Mark's previous one, we got to see his guitar case aka book case in addition to his technique. :cool:

Mellencaster likes this.

14. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    @Mellencaster very pleasant southern rock, good sound and playing.

15. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Here's my take on it. I tried to stick with the theme and make it "surfy". Had to break out the jazz master for this one:

16. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2014
    London, UK
    Great track Mike!

Here is a clean(ish) take with the first BT.

Here is a not very clean at all take with the second BT:

I repeated much of the first take and also included many mistakes, sorry!

The question of mixolydian surf made me think of this track from the game Turtles In Time:

Here is someone's excellent version of the tune from ocremix.org:

My take ever so vaguely refers to it :D

17. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    France
    @jklotz the real surf guitar tone, awesome playing.

jklotz likes this.

18. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2014
    London, UK
    @Alan L Cole Nice tone here! Opening theme is great. Tone plus playing approach very awesome. Sweet stinging vibrato! Really great bluesy licks throughout, very tasty with a wild edge to it. Nice work!

@JCL50 More nice tones! Lovely stratty trem work. There definitely is mixo here, there's nothing but mixo in Mike's second version :D Very confident and precise playing here, admirable! Middle section very cool. Sounds like you had as much fun as me at the end :D

@Mjark Smooth and soulful playing, very bluesy. Good mix of floaty and in the pocket lines, if that makes sense. I enjoyed the way you outlined the changes very clearly. I couldn't be bothered half the time :D Good stuff.

@udoering Nice idea! You have definitely accomplished your intention of giving this a southern rock vibe. I like the phased rhythm guitars a lot. Simple and effective lines with good melodic sense. Good intonation on bends. Good execution all round actually. Great!

@jklotz I like this theme very much indeed. The approach here reminded me of Billy Duffy or perhaps Robert Smith. Simple but very very well executed and thought out! Would have enjoyed hearing more, but what is here is great, thanks!

@estreet Opening chord great. Theme is excellent and seems to allude to several different well-known tunes at once, very clever. Superb playing throughout - fantastic as usual mate!

@Mellencaster I would be very happy with this take, drunk or not :D Nice tone and vibrato. I enjoyed the wilder playing after the break, too. I can see you playing this during your second encore at the end of a very sweaty gig :)

Hearing everyone else makes me want to attempt a more involved approach than just blowing for 4 minutes next time :)

JCL50, udoering, Mellencaster and 2 others like this.

19. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Holic

May 23, 2017
    NY
    Cool melodic theme and guitar fx lk!otz. Fun surf's up vibe and guitar work. Nice.

jklotz likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.